Nano tank

Reaction score
Hi all,
Well it has come to about that time when I am abouy to fill my nano tank.I still have a few questions.I am planning on putting in about 50mm of sea sand and then some live rock.Firstly when I cycle the tank with NSW and live rock must I have the lights on or off, and how much live rock must I put in for this 60 liter tank?Secondly planning on using T5's for lighting,what colour and how many(2 or 3 tubes)
Thanks
Shane

about time shane!wheres the pics of the tank?and the dimensions.allow the tank to cycle with the lights off and i'll say about 15kgs LR and regarding the lighting go for 2whites and 2blues.what you planning on keeping?

Hi Shane.

The biggest reason to leave the lights off is so that algae doesn't grow much when you have spikes nitrates etc (part of the cycle). On the other hand some people prefer to keep the lights on so not as much stuff on the rock dies etc. Up to you. You could do something in between and leave them on for 1 or 2 hours a day. I think about 10kg in a 60l tank.

As for the T5's what is the length of the tank? The shortest HO T5's here are the 24W ones at 55cm. The colour is up to you, generally most people with 2 lights would put 1 10000K and 1 20000K.

Hi,
Mekaeel,the tank is 625x325x300(lengthxheightxwidth) and I was planning on a few soft corals,zoo's,mushrooms etc.I need to find out where to get T5 lamp holders and ballasts from so I can install them into the hood.I also dont think that I will be able to get 4 lights in the hood if I add the reflectors,but then I might not need them as the hood is stainless steel.Just polish the inside up a bit.
Cheers

i would still go for 3 t5 as the softies do still love light

Hi,
I was thinking about 3 lights,but will try for 4 lights.I still need to find out where I can get T5 lamp holders and ballasts.
Cheers

Do yourself a favour and let your tank cycle with only the LR in for as long as possible. I know its tough but it'll be worth it in the end. then stock slowly!!!
Otherwise the algae will come... are you gonna go for a DSB?

Hi,
The tank is only 300mm deep so not possible to have a dsb,but I am planning to put in about 50mm of sea sand on the base.Hoping to collect some sea sand to aid with the biological filtration.
Cheers

Hi,
Well I have decided to put 3 T5's in the hood over my nano tank.What would be the better option:2 blue and 1 white or 2 white and 1 blue. I all tubes will be 10 000K.
Cheers
Shane

Depends what you want... better growth (2white) or better colouration(2blue).
If you goin for mostly softies I'd go with 2 blue and a white.
Have you not got space to install a DSB under, over or next to the tank?

Awsome nanno

:thumbup: nanno tanks are some of the most fun you can ever have in reef keeping like bonsai trees but for south africans

Back
Top Bottom