Nano tank

Reaction score
Hi,
I have been given a 60 liter tank and thought of using it for a table top nano tank.I have a few questions about the project and would like some help, so here goes.
1:The tank is as follows 615 long,325 wide and 300 deep
2:Would I need a skimmer on this tank
3: The tank does not have an overflow or any filters.One narrow side is broken but if I replace this side I could add an overflow or some type of external filter.
4:I was think of using a maxi jet and scwd for in tank circulation
5:What lighting would be the for this nano(T5 blue and white )
Thanks
Shane

;

Well, you didn't mention what you want to keep in the tank, but here's my opinion:

1:The tank is as follows 615 long,325 wide and 300 deep

Ok.

2:Would I need a skimmer on this tank

Not necessarily, regular water changes should be fine. Most skimmers will either be too large unless you have a sump, or will be pretty useless. With no sump, you might consider a Tunze 9002 if you want to spend the cash and can keep the water level stable.

3: The tank does not have an overflow or any filters.One narrow side is broken but if I replace this side I could add an overflow or some type of external filter.

You could always add an Aquaclear HOB to run carbon or as an external fuge.

4:I was think of using a maxi jet and scwd for in tank circulation

For this size tank, you would need a small maxijet and the scwd would switch very infrequently, probably not worth it.

5:What lighting would be the for this nano(T5 blue and white )

Depends on what you want to keep. 2 x 24W T5's with reflectors would be nice to start.

Thanks Craig,
Well I was planning on live rock in the centre of the tank with some zoo's,mushrooms and basicly any softies that might survive in this small tank.I have been thinking about putting an overflow box onto the back of the tank that will have bio balls in,to act as a filter and from there draw the water out and up to my scwd.I have a maxi jet 1000 laying around that I could use.If I add a valve to the outlet then I could regulate the flow into the scwd.
Cheers
Shane

regarding lighting,t5s will do the trick.those hangon overflow boxes will work.go for a skimmer (thats what i do) if you too lazy to do regular water changes.leave out the bio balls.live rock is the best filteration.

Yeah, forget about the bio balls.

Since you seem to already have a scwd, by all means use it, should be nice.

For a small, simple nano like you are planning, I would do the following:
1. T5HO lighting as discussed.
2. Buy the biggest Aquaclear HOB filter you can (or build something similar), modify it into an external refugium, cram it with chaeto and mount an 18w energy saver over it.
3. Use the Maxijet 1000 and make a HOB closed loop with the scwd (check out melev's site)
4. Make a simple auto topoff.

For softies, all that's left is regular water changes :)

It's a common thing to do for nano tanks.

Take an Aquaclear and remove the filter basket. Glue a piece of perspex in the filter body to divide the pump from where the filter basket used to be, leaving a gap towards the top to allow water to flow over and out as normal. This is just to diffuse the flow so that the refugium contents is not blown out. Put some LR (if you want) and chaeto in the filter compartment. Cut a hole in the filter lid and add a light for the chaeto. Optionally add grating of some sort over the filter outlet weir to keep everything in.

That's about it. Many people buy the Aquaclear 500 (largest one, has a new model number now I think) but put an Aquaclear 300 impellor in the pump to further reduce flow.

Check out nano-reef.com.

Hi,
Thanks Craig for all the info.Just have a question about using the bio balls in the external filter.I know that over time using bio balls will create a nitrate or nitrite factory,but if regular water changes are done then will this be a problem for a tank of this size.I have never done a small tank like this so need all the help I can get.
Cheers
Shane

Sorry just had an after thought about this external filter.If I was to put in live rock instead of bio balls in the filter as well as in the tank would that be better?
Cheers

Better than bioballs, definately. But not necessary. If you keep your stocking levels in check and have enough LR in the main tank, you should be fine. I'm not sure why you are keen on extra bacterial filtration, normal amounts of LR will do.

I would recommend using chaeto in the external fuge instead of extra rock so that you have some form of nutrient export if you are not using a skimmer.

Would this method work for a tank of 150l?

I'm planning a Octagon tank with no skimmer? It will have about 15kg's of rock and a 10cm dsb?

Probably. If you can house enough chaeto and are keeping more tolerant livestock. But given that you would want a bit of room for the chaeto, you could run a skimmer?

If i could find a decent hang on skimmer that works like it should then I would get one? Any ideas on a brand that will work - I tried a Red sea prizn and it sucks - my thing is that I can only fit a 15l sum in the bottom ciupboard....

The only HOB that I would get is the Deltec one... but that is very expensive.

Isn't there a Reef Octopus HOB model?

No Idea? Think is it's octagon with 25cm panes and only one is cut out and it's got a hood - space is tight, busy looking on the Tunze site to see if there is something there, just wish I could get a small sump in - wonder if I should try building the sump inside the cupboard?

Sorry to Hi jack your thread....

No problem Sims,that is why we are here to share knowledge about our tanks and ask questions about what we dont know.
Cheers

Sorry just had an after thought about this external filter.If I was to put in live rock instead of bio balls in the filter as well as in the tank would that be better?
Cheers
thats what i did when i ran canister filters.removed all the bioballs and replace it with small pieces of live rock

Back
Top Bottom