Nano Tank Filter

Discussion in 'Nano Tank advice' started by Vleis Visagie, 10 May 2016.

1. Vleis Visagie

Vleis Visagie

Hi Guys,

Im NEW NEW to Marine tanks, even fresh water tanks.

Ill be starting my first Marine tank soon, ive acquired myself a 54L (14gal) tank. Well i got it free from a friend actually, so that will be my starting point.

Tank - 600x300x300 (i know its small & have read the min beginner tank should be about 50gal) In my head if the tank is bigger, then im gonna need way more equipment & i just dont have the fund for that :(

Ill be buying equipment each month, so it will not be a rush thing, that also gives me a lot more time to research all my stuff.

Please excuse me if I ask any stupid question.

1st Question.

Im looking at a filter....

I saw a "Aquaclear 30/50 Power filter" will this work for a marine tank? Reason im asking is, i saw a similar filter & it said "for freshwater". Can i simply just replace the filter mediums so it works for a marine tank?

2nd Question.

Flowrate - Some say (what ive read) that a HOB is enough flow for such a small tank, but im concerned the "waterfall effect" will not create enough flow all around the tank. Is this just my inexperience talking or should i add a powerhead? The filter flowrate is 114l-567l/h

Thanks Guys

Martin (Vleis) :)

Last edited: 10 May 2016
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tafelsout

Tafelsout

Hi Martin,

Filter: I would look at the AquaClear 70 or 110 for that tank. The 110 is big but provides you with extra space for filter media and more flow. Use a good carbon, purigen and Matrix in the filter.

Flow: I use the AcquaClear 70 on my tank and I would say that it does not provide enough flow. You will need an extra power head.

Hope this helps.

superfrog likes this.
  4. Vleis Visagie

Vleis Visagie Thread Starter

Appreciate it bud,

I see you are in Bryanston. I work here. Where can i find a nice shop to buy these?

Thanks

5. superfrog

superfrog

Good advice.

I would add a little bit of phosphate removal media at some point. Keep water changes regular and hearty since you can't have a skimmer. Also agree with the additional powerhead. thankfully there actually are small options these days for small tanks.

One more tip. Be careful with salinity in this size tank. Try and automate with an ATO if possible (with safeguards). Also, be picky about your source water. Not sure if you are making your own SW or buying from LFS, but be careful with SG and TDS if you are buying the water. Best bet long term is to get your own RO unit for peace of mind.

6. Vleis Visagie

I prob will acquire all these as time goes by.

Why cant i add a HOB skimmer? I hate the idea of dirty/unhealthy water.

Ill be buying water for now, ill maybe buy Ro water & just mix salt, Would that be better (for now)?

7. superfrog

superfrog

No reason why you can't use a skimmer, just assumed you weren't adding one. Any idea which one you would like to get?

I used to buy water for years and I know what a shlep it is just to transport the water each time. Can't imagine coming back and then mixing salt as well. if you don't want to mix your own salt just yet, at least buy a refractometer and take it with when buying water. Insist on testing the SG before buying. Checking TDS on the RO water would be equally important IMHO. I'm convinced the RO I purchased for years was poor quality and led to a number of nuisance algae issues.

PS, ensure the equipment is calibrated correctly ;)

8. Vleis Visagie

Ahhh snap, no idea what skimmer ill be adding yet. Prob later on only, so in a sense i guess you are right with say i wont be adding a skimmer. (appologies)

Ill make sure to test the water before buying it. Thanks

9. superfrog

superfrog

No problem. It's usually not easy to fin good skimmers for small tanks. There are a few in the market but not many of them actually perform well at that size, probably due to the physics required by a foam fractionater to be effective. Anyways, I have heard bubble magus make a decent hang on skimmer. So does JNS. YuppiePets had one for sale but not sure if someone grabbed it already.

If you do manage to get an internal one, the Tunze nano skimmers (9001 and 9004) look good. Then there's the IM ghost ones and my favourite, the aqua medic turboflotor. Whichever it is just do some googling first to match expectations and reviews.

You should put a pic up of your setup! Good luck!

10. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

The goal is to keep it simple, that way its fun and not a burden. See my links below in my signature.

My suggestion would be get a skimmer, something like the dymax air driven skimmer, these are perfect for that size tank. Depending on what livestock you keep, a weekly water change will be beneficial and save on the upfront costs of a skimmer. 15% per week.

In that size tank i wouldnt keep more than 4 fish, use about 5-10kg of good clean liverock and a hang-on skimmer and be perfect and start with soft corals, run that for a few months and move from there. There will be temptation to add other corals and fish but in the beginning i would start like that, even just a pair of small perc clownfish and various soft corals.

Starting with soft corals allow more leeway on params etc and they look awesome, a tank with soft corals and zoas, rics and shrooms is just as beautiful as a mixed reef tank, plus it will look more lively.

you can add some inverts to.

read these and links in my signature
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/thr...rtebrates-choosing-a-clean-up-crew-cuc.22197/
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/threads/easy-soft-corals-for-your-reef-tank.14316/

EFJ and superfrog like this.
  11. Vleis Visagie

You are all rock stars, Thanks :) Ive just printed about 60 pages worth of stuff on sumps, live rock, compatibiltiy, lights. Its overwhelming. LOL

Ill will prob be adding max 3 fishies.

Im afraid of live rock, since it is my first tank i wont know what a bad hitch-hikers & which are good. :(

I dnt have an issue cycling my tank for about 7weeks till bacteria is good enough, on that note how the hell will i know if there are enough good bacteria in my tank. (hope im referring to this correctly)

Wrong approach?

12. dallasg

well everyones views on cycling differ, especially mine but i do suggest the following course of action.

Don't over-read this hobby, just learn as you go, seeing as you will cycle the tank, set it up and learn as you go along. Start with LR, many resources to learn what are good and bad hitchhikers, and let the tank run, now you need to learn/understand the nitrogen cycle, read my thread in my signature called What is this thing called cycling. Basically once you have had an ammonia spike then back to 0 the cycle is almost done, the key is to keep "feeding" the tank so the bacteria can colonise and grow to achieve equilibrium between bio-load and ammonia production.

use a good bacteria source in the beginning which will add in the learning curve we all go through

superfrog and EFJ like this.
  13. superfrog

superfrog

agree with @dallasg that everyone has different views in this hobby. On the LR issue I personally prefer starting with dry base rock rather than LR specifically to avoid unwanted problems like pests/hitch hikers. I know this means there are some good hitchhikers that don't make it in at the beginning but over time, these too will hitch hike in on corals at some point.

The thing to keep in mind if not using LR is that you should encourage a good ammonia spike at startup since you don't have LR doing it for you. I used Frozen mysis to really get a good spike in ammonia. Just watch the added phosphates with ghost feeding like this as you don't want to create an excess that will fuel algae later on. Nitra guard bio cubes are perfect to run from the start if going this route as the Phos will be utilized.

14. Vleis Visagie

Thanks,

Can i buy a filter to big for a tank. My tank is 54l & the filter says for tanks from 74l-...l.

15. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

No problem with that. All it is, is a extension of your tank where you can place your heater, skimmer, filter material etc. in. It just adds that extra volume of water, the more the volume the more stable the tank's parameters.

dallasg and superfrog like this.
  16. Vleis Visagie

Now thinking about it, Is a Sump just a BIG filter? Noob much lol

17. dallasg

its exactly that, i place to keep equipment outside of the tank

18. superfrog

superfrog

Sump is basically just a dedicated space to put whatever you want, typically filter related stuff and equipment. Have you considered maybe getting the tank drilled and adding a sump to it rather than spending on the aqua clear filter?

19. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

And you can use it as a refugium for naughty fish.

20. superfrog

superfrog

Great thing about the sump is it opens your equipment choices, especially with a small display. So getting a good skimmer, using reactors, adding ATO, etc all gets a bit easier

EFJ likes this.
  21. Vleis Visagie

I am thinking of getting it pre-drilled, just for in case i want to add a sump later. Isnt sumps a bit expensive for a starter tank?

Recent Posts