Nano Tank Corals

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Tropica, 14 Apr 2014.

1. Tropica

Tropica

Hello guys

I have a Nano Cube with a 105w Compact Fluorescent light and supplemental royal blue light strips. My tank has been going for almost 7 months now and my fish are doing well, eating well and growing quickly.

But having a nano tank, my parameters aren't always perfect. Temperature ranges from 25 to 28 degrees Celsius and with evaporation my salinity ranges between 1.023 and 1.024. I top up manually every day to try and keep parameters more stable.

My question is: What types of corals can I keep in a nano tank, that are hardy enough to grow in these ranges and that will require very little maintenance as I only do water changes and do not supplement with powder calcium etc?

I currently have a few mushrooms that have grown quite big in the past couple of months, but what else can I keep? I like zoas, but they are hard to find. lol. I don't want to add a coral and have them melt away and die etc.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dane G

Dane G

Leathers are quiet hardy and are very forgiving, zoa/palys should also be fine

4. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Hiden super user

Ive always found hammers to be very easy. Calcium does play a part but just waterchanges with good salt mix should do the trick in a nano if you have only one or two smaller LPS. The growth might not be very good but the coral should do fine.

I would recommend supplementing though, the coralline algae will benefit as well not just hard corals

5. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

you are only limited by what gadgets you add to the tank...I've seen full blown sps systems in a pico :p ...salinity issues can be sorted out by an ATU system...which you could DIY if you good at that sort of thing and cash is an issue...otherwise these can range from R600-R3000 depending on make.

Heating ya can be an issue, but it can be with any tank size...a small chiller attached to the system can sort this out for you...seen some nano chillers second hand before going for aroundR1000.

Although I would say at this stage you are more limited by your lighting that the other factors. Without changing anything and using what you have currently...as the others have said...soft corals of any type should do pretty well and are generally hardy. Some of the less finicky LPS should be fine too...euphyllias, candy canes, some open brain types...acans, chalices and blasto's should theoretically do fine as well placed higher up.

Just setup a new nano myself and am not going to let size limit me on what corals I plan to keep. :D

6. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA!

Stability is the key to a successful reef be it a pico or super sized tank.
    I strongly suggest investing in a decent auto top up system. Having this hooked up to a kalk solution will assist in keeping your Ca and Alk in check and avoid huge fluctuations and swings.

For temperature, it all depends on your budget, you can invest in a little chiller as mentioned by Kunhardt or a cheaper alternative will be a fan with a thermostat attached to it.
    Our sponsors should have stock of both.

Once your water parameters are in place and stable, you should be on your way with nearly all types of corals.
    As I mentioned, stability is the key.

7. Tropica

Tropica Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys. I think staying the softie route may be the best option. quite like the Leather corals and zoas.

Are there any guys here in Jhb that can help me out with soft coral frags that will work in a nano? I'll pay ofcourse

Recent Posts