Nano tank advice

Discussion in 'Nano Tank advice' started by rincewind98, 23 Sep 2012.

1. rincewind98

rincewind98

Hi I want to start a nano tank but cant decide between a jebo r338 and a boyu mr418.Can anyone help me out with the pro's and cons of these two tanks?I would appreciate all the help I can get! :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

These are both Freshwater Tanks, if I'm not mistaken...from the word go, you are already looking at "mods" that needs to be done to this Tank to get it to "marine" status.. if you want small, then have a look at some here... Aquaria...BOYU Range...JBJ...etc
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=25832
    http://www.boyuaquarium.com/en_ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=343
    http://www.jbjlighting.com/prod-28g-nano-led.html

Bare in mind..the lighting is very limited(coral selection) and causes heat issues(tubes)...so find one that has LED's in already or you can just DIY a LED Unit..IMHO...keeping the water "stable" is also a bit of a mission...evaporation etc... small Tanks also limit fish selection and I'll also add that I find Hooded Tanks to be a added bonus(jumping fish)

4. rincewind98

rincewind98 Thread Starter

I am aware that these are freshwater tanks but as far as I know the only mod would be extra lighting?I am only planning on keeping low light corals like zoa's and shrooms and one fish plus 7-8 kg of live rock.Just wanted to know if there was any difference between the two types of tanks?

5. ScottK

ScottK

You would also need to add a skimmer in. Why not look at the Aquaria AMW37, it's got all the kit you need for marines built in.

Last edited: 24 Sep 2012
  6. Nanos'R'us

Nanos'R'us JsPLAYn

You don't need a skimmer in a nano, just do weekly waterchanges ....Jebo R338 has loads of potential and leka space as filtration is located in the hood

7. rincewind98

rincewind98 Thread Starter

If you are running a very light bio load and plenty of liverock then you wouldn,t need a skimmer-in fact many guys running nano tanks dont use one and by this I mean running tanks of 40 litres or less.

8. Rubenvm

Rubenvm

Hey bud, I did the exact same thing as what you are planning. I took a old Jebo and removed the hood and spray-bar completely. After that I bought a aqua clear hang on filter rated for 170Ltrs - put teh usual in the back -purigen, phosguard, filterfloss, bioballs etc.

Then I got a led unit and bob's your uncle, conversion complete. Keeping 2 clownfish and soft corals, that's it - light bioload means no skimmer is really needed, but weekly changed of filter floss is..keep that in mind ok

Good luck

9. Wizard$

Wizard$

HI Ruben

I have a used r338 and am planning the same setup, with possibly a small hang on skimmer - what led unit did you go with?

10. Rubenvm

Rubenvm

Maxspec g1 60w brother

11. keegan_n

keegan_n

What does that lighting unit sell for?

12. Rubenvm

Rubenvm

Check ebay brother. The one im using was bought a few years ago and If i can remember correctly it went for R2000 incl shipping

Recent Posts