Nano sump and return

Discussion in 'Nano Tank advice' started by herkie, 8 Apr 2008.

1. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

The pic is of the sump being built to the back of the tank. The right hand side is the return chamber with the skimmer pump in and the middle chamber will hold the skimmer body as well as a dsb and lr on top of eggcrate. the dividing chamber has a hole drilled in to connect the skimmer pump and body.
    The left hand chamber(Partition not fitted yet.) will hold the return pump. I am planning to drill a hole where the black circle is to let the return back into the tank go through.
    Will it be ok to pump the return water in at the bottom of the tank and have the water rise up to the c2c at the top.
    Also, will a 1900l/h return pump be ok for the 90 l system?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Herkie - this looks quite ok to me. Just a few questions:
    - one mean that the black circle is showing the INLET to the sump, right? Or the outlet to the tank?
    - where's the actual inlet from the tank going to be? on the right hand side in the picture, behind the partition?
    - also - are you going to pump SOME type of divider between the skimmer-body and where the sand DSB is going to go?

Otherwise, this looks GREAT!

4. herkie

herkie Thread Starter R.I.P.

Hi jeaquesb, The black circle is the return to the tank. The return pump will be mounted in the sump and it will be pumping the return water through the hole to be drilled there.

The return from the tank will be in the right hand chamber. What might be confusing is that the skimmer pump will be in the return chamber and it will pump the skimmer water through a hole in the partition to the skimmer. If it was not done this way the space problem would have been a lot more serious.

The skimmer body will be standing in the dsb and one more partition must be mounted to the left of the dsb to accomodate the return pump.

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Cool! Thanks Herkie - I now understand! So - in my words:
    - the water will enter the sump on the left at the hole in the tank - flow over the DSB, go into the next compartment, get sucked into the skimmer by the skimmer pump, the skimmer then exits the water back into the DSB compartment, am I right so far? Then inbetween this the return pump sucks water from the "return compartment" back into the Nano tank?

Right?

Recent Posts