Nano or custom tank?

Discussion in 'New Members' started by erongre, 23 Jul 2010.

1. erongre

erongre

:wave2:

Hi, I just joined marineaquariumsa, and I'd like some advice from other marine aquarists with nano tanks please:

I am moving to a new house and have limited space for my current setup (3ft tank with chiller and canister filter). I am now considering selling up and instead getting a nano tank:
    1. Does anyone have any recommendations?
    2. I'm a little concerned that this will be too small for my regal tang. I only have the tang and a clownfish, and would like to get another clownfish later as the previous one met an unfortunate end while being looked after by someone. I am very reluctant to sell/donate the tang as it is 'part of the furniture' (about 6 years old).
    3. I also dont have a clue how I would link the nano to the canister and filter or if it would be necessary.

My other option is to build another tank with larger volume to fit into the area I have (total tank size about 85cm * 60cm * 50cm ) - but am a little afraid I dont succeed...

I'd appreciate any advice/suggestions.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. SIMS

SIMS

what area are you in?

4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

hi and welcome!

i would go with your second option and build. and there are more than willing people here to help with it

5. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

welcometomasa

6. crispin

crispin

hello and welcome to masa:)

congrats on having that regal for 6 years, quite an achievement:)

id go with a custom made tank with a designated over flow and sump. you would be able to build in a far better filtration system that way than you get bin the plug and play nanos'

dallas, didnt you ahve a custom deseigned nano with sump? maybe you could post some pics of that to give the fella some ideas?

7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

yip, i am actually starting it up again this weekend with some mods
    will start a thread

here is a pic so long
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. erongre

erongre Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! OK, I think I am set now on trying to build this one this time - wish me luck!

With the limited space I have I'd be able to go about 90cm long and 60cm wide. My only real 'play' is with the height. I have been researching dimensions, glass thickness etc. and I see in general the max height is about 50cm - I'd like to go at least 60cm (more if possible) - Any ideas if this will hold if I use 16mm glass and put in braces at the top? Will use one of the designs linked to masa's site. Have downloaded the calculators but havent seen anything that lets me play around with the height...

Alternatively, does anyone know of anyone reliable in Cape town/Somerset West area that builds tanks? (Being female the only other option I have is to enlist the services of my dad! :whistling:)

9. FransSny

FransSny

Firstly welcome to MASA, you came to the right place for advice. I personally am not a fan of "off the shelf" Nano's although they do have a place in the hobby.

90 (l) x 60 w x 60 h is o problem....and 16 mm glass is a total overkill . If using eurobracing 10 mm will suffice. That size tank would also give you enough space for a small sump to house a skimmer , small DSB / LR / macroalgea chamber and return, alternatively one can incorporate 2 sumps (as in dallass's design).

Feel free to give me a shout if you need help

10. Trev

Trev

Go DIY dude the build will be equal to the next few years of reefkeeping in terms of achivement

11. Dane

Dane

DIY definitely! For all the reasons posted above :) You can also plan exactly what finished etc that you want. If I were you I'd also think of how you're planning on doing the light hood (if you want to DIY that) and the cabinet finishes etc. A matched setup would look seriously nice.

Welcome to MASA btw!

12. FransSny

FransSny

Trev..its a dudette...not dude;)

13. chikaboo

chikaboo

Welcome erongre ... Enjoy your stay here at MASA ... In addintion to what the "dudes" have said so far also remember the other factor you want to consider with regards to tank height is will you be able to get to everywhere inside the tank if need be? How long are your arms? A nice experiment is to make a tank out of cardboard and then try getting it to the height you want to put it on the stand then try to get inside to move a rock or try and get something from the far side ... you might never know when the need arises to get maybe a sick fish out or retrieve something foreign that fell in .... only to find that it is an impossible task.... One last deciding factor is remember the deeper tank the stronger your lighting will be to reach the bottom of the tank .... So more expensive, higher wattage lighting units and bigger light accounts end of the month ....

14. Trev

Trev

:biggrin: oops

Recent Posts