Nano noooooob

Reaction score
I have a Jebo 338 (secondhand) - which I am now trying to sculpt into the world's most beautiful nano :thumbup:. And so need to relentlessly bug you with questions that will no doubt make you roll your eyes - you'll love me in the end, I know you will :1:.

Things I know:
  • I need to change the current light bulbs for marine (I just can't find any in the LFS that fit)
Things I don't know:
  • I need to take out the sponge and the bio balls- correct? What am I putting instead? LR rubble - where do I get it and is it going to cost me lots? Is there a cheap alternative to LR rubble? Can you guess that cheaper is going to be a theme? :razz:
  • LFS suggested I get an external tetra canister filter, do I really need one? Will the extra volume of water help? Can't have an open sump due to feline interests.
  • Tank has been running for about 2 weeks - with live sand and 1 Kg LR. No algea bloom (cross fingers).
  • So sand bed at the moment is about 4cm thick, should I make it deeper/thinner? Does it make a difference at all?
  • Is there such a thing as too much LR? I gather I am meant to aim at around 4 kgs (36L tank)?
  • When do I get to add clean up crew? Will Hermit crabs eat interesting things off of my LR, that I would rather they didn't?
  • I have the standard powerhead that came with the jebo, I figure I need another one for a bit more flow and directionality. Should I add just the powerhead? What about a tiny rena filter unit instead?
Thanks - for all the help you are going to give me, cause I know you will, your nice people after all...

Welcome again to MASA, ive never owned a nano so cant really advise much but i think canister filter won't really help, but as i say, not a nano guy :thumbup:
Live rock is expensive, alternative would be base rock i guess:p

Just welcomed you on your other thread

• I need to take out the sponge and the bio balls- correct? What am I putting instead? LR rubble - where do I get it and is it going to cost me lots? Is there a cheap alternative to LR rubble? Can you guess that cheaper is going to be a theme?
Dunno your Location (I&J), but any of the Sponsors on the Forum has liverock- But you'll proberly get some PM'S.

• LFS suggested I get an external tetra canister filter, do I really need one? Will the extra volume of water help? Can't have an open sump due to feline interests.
Not bad to have additional water, but you can always put a lid on your sump

• Tank has been running for about 2 weeks - with live sand and 1 Kg LR. No algea bloom (cross fingers).
Too early to speak about Algae- your tank must still cycle

• So sand bed at the moment is about 4cm thick, should I make it deeper/thinner? Does it make a difference at all?
You talking about sandbed in your main display I suppose- that is fine, but I am a firm "Sump Believer" with deep sand bed

• Is there such a thing as too much LR? I gather I am meant to aim at around 4 kgs (36L tank)?
The Nano Gurus would be able to answer this one

• When do I get to add clean up crew? Will Hermit crabs eat interesting things off of my LR, that I would rather they didn't?
Hermits aint that bad- but I know of some gurus that does not have any Hermits

• I have the standard powerhead that came with the jebo, I figure I need another one for a bit more flow and directionality. Should I add just the powerhead? What about a tiny rena filter unit instead?
Look at the Tunze range- nice little pumps and wavemakers

;)

welcome, not sure but i think you can add a sump to your nano, lets wait for the nana experts

Personally I felt the hermits got out of hand and they cleaned the junk from the rocks too well, so I pulled them out. Other people say they like hermits, I reckon you stick one or two in and see how it goes, if you don't like them - then sneak them into hubby's tank when he isn't looking.

There are people who are running a nano tank with simply leaving the foam in, then in the next chamber they have couple of bit of LR rubble and then a bag of phosphate reducer...The need for external filtration can be debated but having seen sysems set-up and running and are exquisite reefs, before you remove your filtration setup, have a bit of a read about the site (the info is all on MASA, just got to search about and find it, or ask and you will be guided accordingly) and learn about what you actually NEED and what others suggest based on their own views.

You need to remember that there are no hard and fast rules of how to do things in reefing, there are however a fair ammount of guidlines which one does need to follow.

Back
Top Bottom