Nano live stock

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by HenkHugo, 20 Dec 2007.

1. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Hi Sara!

i need your input on thise one... as i am not allowed to win the comp i guess i can ask the expert for input :yeahdude:

What live stock would you say suits a nano best? my tank is slightly bigger than a nano at 140L.... but i for arguments sake we will call it a nano :razz:

thanks!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. sihaya

sihaya

Hmmm... there's probably a lot you can keep in a tank that size. I think it's a good size for a pair of clown fish (any of the clowns). You could keep just about any of the smaller fish (gobies, blennies, etc.). In this case, it's probably a question of what you do NOT want to keep. I would advice against tangs, angel fishes, etc. ...probably none of the larger wrasses or butterfly fish either. Really aggressive fish could also become a problem unless you kept them alone or with very carefully chosen tank mates.

Actually, my tank is 65g (which is pretty close to 140L). I keep two banner fish which are just great!

Anyway, the best advice I think I can give you is to just go flipping through one of Scott Michaels' great books on marine fishes and see what you think you might enjoy and would work best in your tank and with the other animals you want to keep. :)

4. sihaya

sihaya

Oh wait, did you mean which corals? If so, you can keep just about anything in a tank that size... especially if you like to frag the faster growing ones! As always though, be mindful of toxicity/compatibility issues which might apply in any/all tanks. And just to be prudent, I wouldn't keep too many different types of corals. Go with mostly one of "lps", "sps" or softies... I wouldn't try to keep all three in a tank that size. Just stay relatively "modest" and don't try to stuff too much (or too many different types) in too small a space and you should be fine.

Here's some picks of the corals I keep in my 65g: www.asira.org/my65g

5. Alfie

Alfie

Hi Sara, Nice tank. What typr of lighting do you use? I see your sun coral is in direct light, is this ok or should they be housed in a cave/shaded area?

6. cybervic

cybervic

Hi, just a correction there. I have 1 US Gallon as 3.78 Litres, which would bring your tank to round about 240L.

Sorry, I just don't want people to try and keep 2 bannerfish in a 3ft tank(29G/120L) :)

Hapy reefing
    Wikus

7. sihaya

sihaya

Oh damn it... I was thinking of the 2.2 kg to lbs. lol How embarrassing... :blushing: geez, I'm too tired. It's like 1:30am here!

Thank you, yes, don't worry I'll learn this metric stuff soon enough... I promise!

8. HenkHugo

HenkHugo Thread Starter

your tank is kinda what i want to do! yay! ok so it can be done :D

9. sihaya

sihaya

It's a 250watt/14k DE MH (likely more light than I actually need, but I like the way it lights up the front parking lot of my apartment complex...lol j/k). Yes, sun corals can be kept in direct light. The corals themselves are "indifferent" to light. The only issue then is algae growth around them. So if you keep them in a well lit area, just make sure algae growth doesn't encroach on their borders.

10. HenkHugo

HenkHugo Thread Starter

well without the banner fish... thinking clowns....

11. sihaya

sihaya

Sorry about that mix up with the gallons and liters. I think a pair of percula (either false or true) clowns for a 29g/140L tank would be good fun (and add some nice color and movement to the tank). I might not keep them with any other fish though (might get a little crowded).

Btw, I also have a 29g tank... but, er, you don't want to see that right now (it wasn't in such great shape when I got back from HI-- some kind of plumbing mishap).

12. Alfie

Alfie

Thanks Sarah

13. cybervic

cybervic

Hehe not a problem, I still get confused too bcause you get US Gallons(3.78l) and Imperial Gallons(4.54l). So whenever someone says his/her tank keeps 300gallons I'm wondering is it US gallons or Imperial Gallons.

Oops sorry for the thread hi-jack.

Lovely tank you have there.

Wikus

14. mandarinman

mandarinman

oops you just un nanoed yurself

15. sihaya

sihaya

With six and a half years of higher education, you'd think I'd be able to convert measuring units... lol ::sigh::

16. charlesr1958

charlesr1958

I'm still confused on that issue, could you spell out what actual degrees you have and in what? By spell out, I mean exactly that. I have no clue as to what the abbreviations mean.

17. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

And this helps the young man setting up the nano how??Oh and google should help you with the abbreviations ;)

Back to the Nano;)

Henk, yip Clowns are a good bet, they have the awww factor with non reefers..

I am planning some pink and light blue shrooms I have in my main tank as well as some zoanthids, hopefully very nice ones;)

Last edited: 21 Dec 2007
  18. sihaya

sihaya

Sounds cool Kanga... just make sure they're slow growing corallimorphia (shrooms). I have some in my display right now that are getting to be a real pain (growing way too fast). One of them even managed to kill a tiny bit of one of my moon corals while I was in HI. Grrr...

19. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Yip, you gotta keep an eye on those 'shrooms, or you'll end up like this...

[​IMG]

20. sihaya

sihaya

LOL... that's actually really pretty though!

21. phat

phat

who's tank is that? and do you have any more pics or a link?

Recent Posts