Nano Cube 24 - Filter Set up - What Order?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by a4drk, 9 Jan 2013.

1. a4drk

a4drk

Hello,
    I'm just setting up my first Marine tank (I've been keeping fresh water cichlids for 10yrs)

Someone gave me a Nano Cube 24 tank.
    I've cleaned it all out & put the filter back in the order which it came out.
    Done my salt mix with dechrolinated water & got it up & running. Water @ 75deg
    anyway,
    Tonight I found the instruction manual & the parts in the filter are a different way round. - So my question is - whats the correct order? :blush:

This is the way I have it
    Chamber 1 - Has 2 Large Black sponges in it
    Chamber 2 From the bottom up - lots of Bio Balls, a Bag of Ceramic Rings, 2 bags of Carbon bits, then a large black foam sponge

Chamber 3 - Has the pump only & the nozzle at the top

The instructions say that the ceramic rings should be at the bottom, then the carbon & the bio balls at the top.
    No black sponge.

Any help much appreciated

Cheers
    David

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. a4drk

a4drk Thread Starter

Also -
    Do i fit the skimmer attachment or not ?

David

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

people changes the filtration setup on these tanks. But basically it should follow the mechanical - biological - chemical sequence.

Filter wool or sponges will block up quickly. But it does help to remove the trapped detritus.

Do you have a skimmer that fits into the back? If yes, then use it.

5. a4drk

a4drk Thread Starter

Yes, I fitted the skimmer attachment.

I've also added 5kg of live rock.
    It's still a bit bare, so I going to add another 5kg.

Middle filter is still as I described above.
    Water is crystal clear.

David

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

On one nano I set up, I did not have a skimmer. The skimmer I got did not fit into the first chamber, the hinge was in the way. It did fit into the second chamber, after cutting a little bit of plastic away from the rim. So the setup was not in the right sequence. anyway, first chamber got the 50W heater, and filled with small live rock pieces. On top I small square filter mat caught a lot of rubbish. That mat lasted a week or 2 and then needed to be replaced.

Under the skimmer, I placed some bio-balls in the open space, and a small bag with ceramic rings that came with the tank. On top of the rings a small piece of eggcrate as a stable platform for the skimmer.

The last chamber had the return pump. But the skimmer created a lot of micro bubbles, that was sucked up by the return pump. Solution was to place another square piece of eggcrate on top of the return pump. Then I placed filter wool on top of that. The wool prevented bubbles to reach the return pump. Plus it caught even more rubbish. Filter wool needed replacement every second week.

System run fine like that.

Recent Posts