Nano advice needed

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by Juan27, 1 Oct 2015.

1. Juan27

Juan27

I need some advice on the filtration on the back of my nano.
    1st
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Should I use these things that the tank came with(sorry, don't know what it called)? Or should I replace them with live rock in the filter compartment.

Next
    [​IMG]

I will be using the bottom of this compartment as a DLSB, what should I put at the top?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. aapstert180

aapstert180

hello and welcome. what type of nano is it?

4. CameL

CameL

It's a personal thing, many people find the ceramic rings trap detritus. If you can dedicate enough time to the tank to maintain the ceramic rings, shake them off, then all they are is real estate for bacteria to grow. Bacteria is what converts ammonia to nitrite, nitrite to nitrate. The more real estate and the more bacteria you have, the better the water quality, the healthier the system.

5. Juan27

Juan27 Thread Starter

Its a AMW102

6. Juan27

Juan27 Thread Starter

Its easy enough to clean, as that whole cartridge comes out, so you saying it will be better to run with it?

7. CameL

CameL

Well, for me, i would remove the rings and use Orca bio-cubes. Orca bio-cubes offer alot more real estate than ceramic rings.
    If you're not interested in bio-cubes, then ceramic rings will be perfect.

8. trad

trad Fish, thats the word!

I'd also go with the Orca-cubes and 2nd choice would be Live rock.

Ceramic rings will just trap too much dirt that will eventually be a ball ache to clean.

9. BAD FISH

BAD FISH

I have live rock in mine, and playpen sand in the tiny Dsb and cheato on top floating around..if it works well i don't know but there are loads of Pod running around in the cheato. I feed them twice a week some flakes and they go mad, just keep the sponge super clean!!

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Not sure how Orca cubes will work if you do use an airstone under it. Need to ensure that you trap or prevent salt spray. Maybe a coarse piece of sponge over the top.

Other alternatives would be Seachem Matrix.

If that is a basket that easily pulls out, then it would be easy to clean that chamber once a month. Switch off the return, pull basket out, Siphon chamber clean. Rinse the rings in the water taken out. Replace and refill with new salt water. See it as part of your water change. Instead of just dumping water out of the display, rather siphon the filtration section clean.

11. aapstert180

aapstert180

problem with thise tanks, when you siphon from the sump the tank display also drops. so you cant realy empty out the chambers. remember that bio cubes needs lots of oxygen. the leaflet in the tub ahows the bomb method. i put my bio cubes with an airstone in my cubes first chamber under the skimmer.

Recent Posts