N-P nitrate and phosphate reducing bio pellets

I used NP pellets from July last yr,500ml packet totally dissolved by Feb this yr.

When i added it my tank had abit of GHA,a month after setting up the NP system the GHA faded away,but also in the same time i switched from 2oceans aquarium water to Salt mix.

Tank looked good and all pellets dissolved over 7months on a 400litre setup.
Never replaced it and the tank hasnt changed for the worse ever since.

its been 3 months without NP pellets and tank still lookin the same,just added antiphos now.
Not sure if the pellets or the switchin to salt mix was the reason for my tank to turn around.

my experience,seeing that the tank still look good,NP pellets not that much of a miracle worker.

maj could it not have been a part of the cycle that the pellets fulfilled? like phos media does untill corraline develops?

sounds like it was a positive outcome witherway.. would be nice to get regular updates on your system

According to the web site, about 0.5 to 1 litre of these pellets are required for every 500 litres of aquarium water. Now how do we determine how many litres there are from 500 grams?
Cheers

i havent seen the packaging myself anyone care to comment on the ratio needed to tank capacity to be serviced?

is it .500ml or 1000ml per 500lt tank capacity? and on average how long should they last? (obviously this figure may vary) 1 year?

i havent seen the packaging myself anyone care to comment on the ratio needed to tank capacity to be serviced? is it .500ml or 1000ml per 500lt tank capacity? and on average how long should they last? (obviously this figure may vary) 1 year?

Well it states on the packet on the previous page that i can read that 50 - 200ml per 100lt of water. And maj said his 500ml lasted 7months. Would love to know if these systems really works. Would be good to try something like this in comparison with conventional methods. Maybe Lanzo can give some insight as they running the one system purely with this.

maj could it not have been a part of the cycle that the pellets fulfilled? like phos media does untill corraline develops?

sounds like it was a positive outcome witherway.. would be nice to get regular updates on your system
By the time I started using the NP my tank was past it cycle phase,and if it was
In some type of cycle I would of assume it wouldv passed on its own within time.

Or yes,the pellets would of helped but wot u think should happen now that iv been months
Without the NP,will it go off balance?

I skimmed through the 80 odd page thread on rc and the important parts are as follows.

1- reactor size
2- flow through the reactor (pellets must tumble)
3- output of the reactor must be inline with skimmer intake
4- pellets need to be topped up as they dissolve

The guys who had success with the pellets did all of the above. I emailed the company that makes the product and they recommend 1300lph flow through the reactor for 500ml of pellets.

Question, in a tank with lps, softies etc, would it be better to use half the recommended dosage?

By the time I started using the NP my tank was past it cycle phase,and if it was
In some type of cycle I would of assume it wouldv passed on its own within time.

Or yes,the pellets would of helped but wot u think should happen now that iv been months
Without the NP,will it go off balance?

shot for the info.. appreciate the input.

I skimmed through the 80 odd page thread on rc and the important parts are as follows.

1- reactor size
2- flow through the reactor (pellets must tumble)
3- output of the reactor must be inline with skimmer intake
4- pellets need to be topped up as they dissolve

The guys who had success with the pellets did all of the above. I emailed the company that makes the product and they recommend 1300lph flow through the reactor for 500ml of pellets.

what diam was the reactor used ? i have a skimz FB filter i can easily modify with a strainner/ mesh on the outflow to stop pellets from exiting the reactor.
the bottom of the reactor is already set up for even dispersion of water flow.

Question, in a tank with lps, softies etc, would it be better to use half the recommended dosage?

This is what im thinking, as i have always been able to keep both Nitrate and Phos[hate down in my systems so im actually wanting it to assist my LR filtration. more as a polisher than anything else..

also important to remember that if you have power outages and the pellets stop tumbling all the bacteria dies and when power comes back on you dumping quite a bit of sulphur into your tank. you have to have backup on that reactor pump it is vital to get it to work properly

At the moment Im using biodigest but at 2/3 the recommended dosage and my corals are fine with it. Has anyone tried np pellets with zoa's, shrooms, lps etc?

also important to remember that if you have power outages and the pellets stop tumbling all the bacteria dies and when power comes back on you dumping quite a bit of sulphur into your tank. you have to have backup on that reactor pump it is vital to get it to work properly

True and the pellets stick together. Lol in my neck of the woods its a no no as the damn lights keep tripping:cursing:
Maybe one day :p

Sulphur ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that explains alot & why my ponies died :(also that awful smell:eek:. That's it I'm removing the NP pellets, that is not happening to me again. Until I get a backup plan for a power supply the pellets stay out. Only if I knew this before New Years then all would have been ok.

Now that explains alot & why my ponies died :(also that awful smell:eek:. That's it I'm removing the NP pellets, that is not happening to me again. Until I get a backup plan for a power supply the pellets stay out. Only if I knew this before New Years then all would have been ok.

Get yourself a relay with a bilge pump and some plumbing, make the bilge pump go on when there is no other power for another pump, a bilge pump is not made to run forever tho just made to run short periods of time, i can safely say tho that it can run for 6 hours or so without a problem as long as it is in the water.

I've got about 500lph flowing through my reactor and the pellets are tumbling just fine

Back
Top Bottom