N _e _w _b _y

Discussion in 'New Members' started by nemo_jhb, 5 Jan 2010.

1. nemo_jhb

nemo_jhb

Hi there guys! :wave2:
    Hmm... 1st impressions last, so where would be a good start...

Well ever since I can remember, I've always wanted a Marine tank!
    I was 1st introduced to marine tanks when I was about 7 years old. I was down in Durban on holiday visiting some distant family & this guy (let’s call him Uncle Mohamed - 'cos every Muslim has an Uncle Mo) :razz:, Uncle Mo, had probably the most magnificent & inspiring tanks a 7year old could ever lay eyes on (for that matter even an adult). It was probably about 2meters long, had tons of live rock, coral, & fish. It was placed in the dining room & I remember staring at it for hours & having a cold lunch & dinner... Since then I have always been intrigued...

Anyways enough of my aimless reminiscing, I have finally gotten around to buying my 1st tank!
    It was actually quite pre-mature due to my recent purchase of my 1st home & I figured it would’ve taken me at least six months to save-up enough again for a decent system. Long story short I came across an ad, made an offer, & then purchased my 1st tank!

BOYU TL-550 (128l) – Used but in good condition
    RedSea Prizm Skimmer – Practically new, about 3months old
    10/12kg Bio Rock
    Small test Kit (Ammonia)
    1kg Charcoal
    2kg Crushed Coral
    Kalkwasser
    Calcium Supplement
    Some tubing
    Boyu Heater
    Boyu Air Pump

All this for R1600 (I think it was a bargain from the little knowledge I have picked up from the forums thus far)

I want to do as much as possible with regards to mods/upgrades now, over the next 3/4months so that when I do start-up the tank I want the least amount of issues. I don’t mind spending, but due to the new house my current financial constraints means lotsa patience! (Funnily enough I heard that’s key to a healthy tank)
    I have searched the net and found some decent mods/upgrades that are possible for this tank.
    Since I have a decent skimmer for now (I think), figured I’d upgrade the lighting this month.
    PLANS: (BTW i wanna keep LR, fish & corals)
    Skimmer – RedSea Prizm
    Upgrade lighting - 4.5Watts per Gallon (Currently 3Watts per Gallon – using PC’s, 50/50, 24Watts)
    Upgrade Cooling - Add 1 more exhaust fan in lid & make more ventilation holes
    Upgrade Heater - 200Watt
    Upgrade Air Pump - not sure suggestions pls
    Wave Maker - not sure suggestions pls
    Substrate - DSB (10cm), heard Aragonite is really good...?
    LR - About 10kg Cured (Kenyan/Fiji)
    Filteration – not sure suggestions pls (I have 4 compartments at the rear of the tank)

Any suggestions on the filtration...? Been to a few LFS and most said pieces of LR & a deep sand bed, a few said good quality ceramic rings, bio-balls, etc...
    Have I missed anything out...?
    If any of u have comments or further suggestions I can only learn... Thanks! :biggrin:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

welcometomasa

4. crispin

crispin

hello there:)

Firstly welcome to MASA its great to have you join and secondly congrats on the purchase of your first tank! Very exciting stuff :)

it sounds like you got a good deal and you have a good understanding on what you need to change which is great to see.

Personally i would look at slowly swapping out tyhe biorock for good quality LR, especially as your tank is smaller and thus the space a little limited. This way you have the best possible quality filtration which will make life much easier in the long run. AND i would look at having around 12-15kg of the best quality LR you can get, so increase the amount a little I think :)
    I am a firm believer in aragonite but if you are on a budget and things are tight at the moment you could look at very well washed play sand for now and change later on, although those that use play sand really like and u might not have to change later.

i would also sugest you get good test kits (spend the money of better quality ones rather than waste it on saving for cheaper unreliable tests) and i would also suggest a refractometer is a good idea:)

welcome and happy postings

5. nemo_jhb

nemo_jhb Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome guys!
    Crispin: I think I'm gonna go with only LR, around 10-12kg at 1st. maybe a bit of Bio rock at the base, not sure yet, will get to that once i start aqua-scapping.
    Any suggestions with regards to the rear sump & the set-up of the filtration...?

6. crispin

crispin

i wouldnt over complicate the back chambers to be honest.

i would run some phosphate remover in a sock and some carbon in a sock but thats all. I would skip ceramic rings and bio balls and just go with good LR in tank.

Simple really :)

7. Pete

Pete

Welcome to our home Nemo_JHB

8. Pete

Pete

Oh Yes we love pics here so post away

9. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

Welcome to MASA.

There is nothing like the first tank!! I started this hobby about 7 months ago and must admit that although I did plenty of research before I started, I wish I did more!!

I would really suggest you join the JHB Reef club and go check out some of the MASA members tanks to give you a better idea of what you need to do with your system.

There is nothing as usefull as seeing the real thing in person and someone explaining to you exactly how it works and comes together. You will find that each persons tank differ in some ways and should give you an idea what will work for you.;)

10. charlv

charlv

Welcome to MASA

11. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Yup, WELCOME to this great hobby, and to MASA - the first impression was good :thumbup:

Whatever you do, just keep one thing in mind: Only bad things happen quickly in this hobby - good things take time...

Hennie

12. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

Where about in JHB are you?

13. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

masahello

14. brandonb

brandonb

:welcometomasa1:

15. johanpm

johanpm

hi and welcome,

i have the same tank as yours, so will be following your thread. i've done some upgrades on mine, including mh lighting.

16. flipwhip

flipwhip

Welcome to MASA…...:thumbup:

17. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!

18. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Welcome mate

19. nemo_jhb

nemo_jhb Thread Starter

Yeah, I think thats the route I'm gonna take... Any suggestions with regards to a good brand of phosphate remover and carbon?

Good idea, will be joining shortly... Any1 interested in letting me see thier set-up's??? :thumbup: (though I must warn u, I mite stare)

Northcliff

Do you have pics???

Will be posting soon, its just an empty tank at the moment :'(

20. johanpm

johanpm

21. nemo_jhb

nemo_jhb Thread Starter

Hi guys I dont have pics of my tank yet worth posting, but i figured this mite be interesting. I took these last Jan while I was on Honeymoon in Dubai...

Dubai Mall Aquarium

[​IMG]
    WOW!

[​IMG]
    Notice the big fish on the left...

[​IMG]
    He was bigger than most of the sharks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting up close & personal!