Mystery occupant

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by H0nda42, 15 Oct 2008.

1. H0nda42

H0nda42

Hi Guys - I have a mystery occupant in a piece of coral of mine.Every so often I notice a plume of milky-type liquid ejected out of a hole at the top of the coral.
    I can never see where this comes from but it happens quite frequently. I always thought it was a crab or something

But last night whilst watching the tank under moonlights I noticed alot of very thin tentancle-like arms coming out of the hole. These tentacles are extremely thin and look almost like hairs or strands of algae - however they have a mind of their own and seem to be feeling around the coral rock. They are like octopus arms and seem to feel and reach their way around. My fish are not bothered by this although the Regal Tang sleeps right next to this hole at night - should I be worried?

If I was able to take some pics I would, but the tentacles are too small/thin to pic up on camera and you only get to see it under moonlight.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

There are loads of little critters in the live rock, most of which are harmless detrivores, do a google for stomatella snails - i have some and they squirt out their sperm eggs in the manner you described, scared the hell out of me first time i saw it.

4. H0nda42

H0nda42 Thread Starter

Thanks Mike - I have checked it out, but to date (after 2 + months of the live rock being in my tank) I have not seen any signs of it being a snail at all. The plume comes out from the same place every time and due to the angle I cannot see exactly where it is or what is in the hole. I am sure it is something of the sort, but my idea of a crab is no longer valid as I found a dead crab a few cm from the hole.
    not sure if it maybe killed the crab - but am keeping an eye on it.
    Thanks

5. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Might that have been a crab moult? was it an empty shell? if so then there could be a small crab in the hole.

6. H0nda42

H0nda42 Thread Starter

I have always suspected a crab - I even remember seeing one at one stage. And because the LR is a piece of coral - I thought perhaps he was burrowing deeper into the hole and spitting out the dirt.
    But a fully formed crab was left dead on the top of the LR on Sat and I couldn't get it with the tongs and my arms were covered in suntan lotion so I left it til after the rugby - by which time he had been eaten??? ( I have a very hungry Regal)

7. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Anything dead is good grub for all your tank mates, bristleworms, mysid, hermits and even the fish.

8. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

To a point, to many dead fish in your tank will cause problems, is it not.

9. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Fair point but we were talking about one small dead crab, the point being anything in the tank could have eaten it, not necessarily some nasty unseen hitchiker down a hole.

10. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

True, just wanted to clarify the dead bit. You know what some people can be like:whistling:

11. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Sadly...yes;)

12. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

13. Tony

Tony

Viper you took the words out of my mouth. Definately a spaghetti worm

14. H0nda42

H0nda42 Thread Starter

hi Viper,Tony- I checked the link you sent and that is def it.It looks exactly the same. Thanks for the help.Are they bad at all?Am on my cell so surfing is hard.My Regal sleeps right next to his hole,is this fine?

15. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

They are cool, harmless hitchikers.

16. Tony

Tony

Harmless guys they are

17. H0nda42

H0nda42 Thread Starter

Thanks, much appreciated.

Recent Posts