Mystery occupant

Reaction score
Hi Guys - I have a mystery occupant in a piece of coral of mine.Every so often I notice a plume of milky-type liquid ejected out of a hole at the top of the coral.
I can never see where this comes from but it happens quite frequently. I always thought it was a crab or something

But last night whilst watching the tank under moonlights I noticed alot of very thin tentancle-like arms coming out of the hole. These tentacles are extremely thin and look almost like hairs or strands of algae - however they have a mind of their own and seem to be feeling around the coral rock. They are like octopus arms and seem to feel and reach their way around. My fish are not bothered by this although the Regal Tang sleeps right next to this hole at night - should I be worried?

If I was able to take some pics I would, but the tentacles are too small/thin to pic up on camera and you only get to see it under moonlight.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
There are loads of little critters in the live rock, most of which are harmless detrivores, do a google for stomatella snails - i have some and they squirt out their sperm eggs in the manner you described, scared the hell out of me first time i saw it.

Reaction score
Thanks Mike - I have checked it out, but to date (after 2 + months of the live rock being in my tank) I have not seen any signs of it being a snail at all. The plume comes out from the same place every time and due to the angle I cannot see exactly where it is or what is in the hole. I am sure it is something of the sort, but my idea of a crab is no longer valid as I found a dead crab a few cm from the hole.
not sure if it maybe killed the crab - but am keeping an eye on it.
Thanks

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks Mike - I have checked it out, but to date (after 2 + months of the live rock being in my tank) I have not seen any signs of it being a snail at all. The plume comes out from the same place every time and due to the angle I cannot see exactly where it is or what is in the hole. I am sure it is something of the sort, but my idea of a crab is no longer valid as I found a dead crab a few cm from the hole.
not sure if it maybe killed the crab - but am keeping an eye on it.
Thanks
Might that have been a crab moult? was it an empty shell? if so then there could be a small crab in the hole.

Reaction score
I have always suspected a crab - I even remember seeing one at one stage. And because the LR is a piece of coral - I thought perhaps he was burrowing deeper into the hole and spitting out the dirt.
But a fully formed crab was left dead on the top of the LR on Sat and I couldn't get it with the tongs and my arms were covered in suntan lotion so I left it til after the rugby - by which time he had been eaten??? ( I have a very hungry Regal)

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I have always suspected a crab - I even remember seeing one at one stage. And because the LR is a piece of coral - I thought perhaps he was burrowing deeper into the hole and spitting out the dirt.
But a fully formed crab was left dead on the top of the LR on Sat and I couldn't get it with the tongs and my arms were covered in suntan lotion so I left it til after the rugby - by which time he had been eaten??? ( I have a very hungry Regal)
Anything dead is good grub for all your tank mates, bristleworms, mysid, hermits and even the fish.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
To a point, to many dead fish in your tank will cause problems, is it not.
Fair point but we were talking about one small dead crab, the point being anything in the tank could have eaten it, not necessarily some nasty unseen hitchiker down a hole.

Reaction score
Viper you took the words out of my mouth. Definately a spaghetti worm

Reaction score
hi Viper,Tony- I checked the link you sent and that is def it.It looks exactly the same. Thanks for the help.Are they bad at all?Am on my cell so surfing is hard.My Regal sleeps right next to his hole,is this fine?

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
hi Viper,Tony- I checked the link you sent and that is def it.It looks exactly the same. Thanks for the help.Are they bad at all?Am on my cell so surfing is hard.My Regal sleeps right next to his hole,is this fine?
They are cool, harmless hitchikers.

Reaction score
Harmless guys they are