Mysterious Zoanthus issues.

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Slagter, 14 Dec 2010.

1. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

Hey guys...

I have been noticing that my Zoas on a certain rock have started to whither away. There is no obvious slime coating on them and it doesn't look like any disease I've read about. Last night I was looking at them and I found a really small cone like snail in amoungst the one colony and all the polyps in that section where the snail was, were closed. I also have lots of those stupid Asterna (SP?) star fish. The ones with 3 short legs and 2 long ones... Could they be eating my Zoas? Or is it the small white snail? Are there any fish that eat the snails or the stars?

The one colony opens up, but the polyp tentacles don't seem to open. I'm at a stand still right now as to what it could be... All my water params are in check, I'm doing regular water changes with Brightwells Neomarine salt, so I just can't really figure out what's going on...

I really love the Zoas and I want my tank to be predominantly Zoas colonies. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Sean

Last edited: 14 Dec 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. llewellyn

llewellyn

Get rid of the snail. I also had one of those. They are called sundial snails. Tried squishing it but their shells are rock hard. So I just left it in fresh water :biggrin:

4. Slagter

Slagter Thread Starter MASA Contributor

I did get rid of the snail. There are more snails, with black and white markings on their shells as well as the little white one. I've killed what I can see, but there are plenty of hiding spaces for them in the tank.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Look for sundail snails, google it. Flattish cone with yellow markings at the outer rim, like a sundail. Round opening and got a operculum with a point. (the flap that closes when snail pulls back)
    They are zoa predators. Did you add any Zoa's you collected yourself from the coast?

6. llewellyn

llewellyn

They are usually found under the colony of zoas. If you see a part of the colony that is closed or not looking normal. Try checking under that bit. I had the snail in my tank for a while not knowing what it was and no matter where I put it, it would always find its way back to a colony of zoas. And Will be feeding off the underneath of the polyps. The shell was also black and white.

7. Slagter

Yup, it's them... Just checked them out on RC... Damn. There are lots of them though. How do I get rid of them, besides manual removal?

8. poiromaniax

poiromaniax MASA Contributor

Get a fish that eats inverts

but that will take out your hermits and beneficial snails too.

I would say manual removal seems to be the only way

9. Slagter

Was thinking about a yellow coris wrasse... They seem to eat them. Also might be my Asterina Stars doing the damage... Maybe that's what killed off the nice Zoas from Lanzo? Then the PB got hold of them as well... Oh well...

Time to get rid of the stars and snails... Maybe just dip the rock in FW for a few minutes when I rescape on thursday? Might also help.

10. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Rather give it an iodine dip and blow it with a turkey baster.

Last edited: 14 Dec 2010
  11. Slagter

Not sure I quite understand this? Iodine dip? For ALL my live rock?

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

You got two options, either use your right hand, or your left.

Other predators, will eat other things you want.

Maybe put all Zoa in shallow seperate tank for couple of days and do a daily inspection.

13. Slagter

I thought so... It might also be the Stars... I've been looking around on the WWW and I see that they tend to do a fair amount of damage in some tanks. I must admit that I haven't seen the conical thing sticking out of the snails before, so It might not be bad snails in the tank. I'll woop one out the tank when I get home and check.

But I have seen the starfish on the Zoas. Last night actually... I'm going on Star patrol and I'll flush every one I find... Maybe even get a Harlequin Shrimp. There would be enough Stars to feed him for at lease a month or 2...

I also have these strange snail type things that look almost like Limpets, or abalone. But they are really small. A few mm in diameter... Anyone heard of something similar?

14. archiecrain

archiecrain

Im interested in this post...I had a few Zoa polyps go bad over the wknd and had seen a small snail cruising around my tank.......

15. llewellyn

llewellyn

This is the type of sundial snail I had bothering my zoas. If you pull them off they have a stringy like web that is attached to the coral.
    [​IMG]

16. Slagter

The snails in my tank look very similar to that, but I've nevr seen that pointy "rattle snake" thing on any of these ones. I'll grab one when I get home to have a squizz... I'm almost certain it's either them or the stars...

17. llewellyn

llewellyn

From my experience with this snail I'm sure I've seen that swirly cap also retract into the shell with the snail.

18. llewellyn

llewellyn

19. poiromaniax

poiromaniax MASA Contributor

BTW Sean, noone has answered about the asterina stars,

IME, they cause no damage to corals. I have had them in my tank since I started, and I still have tons of them. all my corals are perfect.

They do chow corraline and other algaes, and Im ok with that :D

20. Slagter

Thanks Llewellyn... Great helpful links those...

@ Poiro - I'm gonna have a look again when I get home. Going to check out the snails, but I'm starting to think it's not the Sundial snail. The ones in my tank seem to be fatter than those.

I definitely have seen the asterina stars on my Zoas though. I'm gonna have to set up a small QT tank and see what happens... Damn. I'm also going to get rid of as many stars as I possibly can as well....

I appreciate the help. I'll post pics of the offending critters a little later on.

21. Sentari

Sentari

Asterina Stars havent touched anything in my tank.

Adee has MILLIONS in his tank and also havent touched anything.

Recent Posts