Mysis shrimp ?

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
Where and in what form is Mysis shrimp available locally ?

Muz

Blenny
Reaction score
Very easily supplied in blister packs at a LFS, I hear you can get them live and culture your own, I think the 2OC does that.. dunno, I just feed the frozen ones as well.

HenkHugo

Copperband
Reaction score
At my meeting with 2OC the curator told me they just go and catch what they need.

Muz

Blenny
Reaction score
Do you know where Henk ?? I also remember Kevin telling me that they are quite available to catch locally but I have no idea where.

Muz

HenkHugo

Copperband
Reaction score
I'll ask at our next meeting. He sis mention that some times they need to go dive them out. I will find out where and report back

Muz

Blenny
Reaction score
thanks for that !

robvdv

Blenny
Reaction score
When I lived in Granger Bay the guys from the two oceans used to collect Mysids on the quay in front of my apartment. They were living in quite warm water so I managed to acclimate some to reef temperatures (very slowly).

When diving Justin's at night some time ago I saw clouds of what looked like big Mysids in my lights. I've been kinda keen to go and drop a net with a light in into a kelp forest there to see what I bring up. The water was 11 degrees, so I don't think I'd be able to acclimate those guys.

Muz

Blenny
Reaction score
Gooi the net ! check it out, at the very least you may end up with a bucket of live food !

lanzo

Clarion Angel
Reaction score
try and by some brine shrimp eggs and populate your own food in a 2L coke bottle, i i this once very cool

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
try and by some brine shrimp eggs and populate your own food in a 2L coke bottle, i i this once very cool
Problem with brine is they have very little nutritional value. Brine is like candy floss, my fish and coral get a bag a week as a treat. :p

HenkHugo

Copperband
Reaction score
freshly hatch BS is very high in nutritional value. When they get only than 24 to 48 hours they become candy floss