My whitespot troubles ...hard newby lesson learned

Reaction score
New tank RSM 525xl, new fish , LR, lights , equipment and corals...I was on top of the world adding fish and corrals left and right ..... whitespot won't happen to me I thought .

Then BOOM like a bat out of hell it hit smack between the eyes.

Get a Powder Blue Tang they say...it be fine relax just throw it in like you did the rest...

So in the past three months I have gone through ...garlic ....ginger....2 bottles of resQmed and 4 bottles of Polyplab Reef Medic...$$$$

Didnt want to go through the hassle of stripping my tank just to catch fish.

Reef Medic did help to eliminate the signs of whitespot far better than all the rest . Used 3x dosage for 22 days ...stopped and 1 week later it hit me like a brick.

Again out of ignorance 22 days 3 times the dosage ick gone ...week later it came back with a vengeance.

I was about to give up, wasted a few thousand Rand due to my ignorance. Powder Blue and Regal Tang was on its last legs and at 11pm on a Sunday night I just decided that to listen to the guys that has been in the game for decades is better than to take my own stupid newby advise and decided that I am going to give TTM a try right there and then.

Did my first batch that same night, all my Tangs and clowns first . A few days later and after buying all the items needed I did the rest of my fish. Last week i finished up with my tangs and clowns and this morning with rest. Success at last !!!

Restarted two of my old Boyu TL550s and placed fish in the two while DT stays empty for 76 days ( mid Aug ) .

Havent loss one fish , powder blue spot free. Lesson learned ...I was a idiot and youtube full of @#$$ advise !!

In this couple of weeks and with my OCD I studied everything I could find on ICK and related fish issues . Two things always came up as bullet proof ...copper and TTM . I had angels so copper was a no go . Even set up a coral QT . Nothing will ever go into DT without QT not even a crab or coral.

Advise don't do what I did and look for the easy fix. All that money wasted could have gotten me some nice corals...

Newby out ( dropped the mic )!!!

I WISH I CAN MAKE THIS THREAD BOLD. STAND OUT MORE - (Caps on deliberately)

It is by far better to remove the fish from an infected area than to try and clean the infected are with the fish in there. Yeah yeah, catching all the fish is a lot of work for the human involved. But once caught and move to a bucket, it is by far the best option for the fish.

Its the same as humans going on holiday to catch some clean fresh air. Out of the polluted Gauteng. Difference being that the fish cannot jump into your car and drive away!

I didnt want to put in the effort first. Was looking for that 'Verimark miracle diet shake solution' to work .

At the end of the day that bit of effort has shown the most long term gain.

Fish healthy and DT will be ick free in 53 days 4hours and 28 min ....

Hey guys what is TTM

TTM - Tank Transfer Method is a way of removing white spot from a fish without having to use culpramine/copper.
Few different ways of doing it but basically move the fish every couple of days into new water staying ahead of the white spot life cycle. You would need to do proper research and videos to get the big picture.

Back
Top Bottom