My "White Box" Controller

Reaction score
Hi Friends

Thought I would share some pics and info on the tank controller I built.

Its built around and controlled by 2x Siemens PLCs contained in a DB box for a neat appearance.

It controls the following and not limited too. (as it can be programmed to do pretty much ANYTHING)

Lighting

1 channel for sump lighting
3 independent channels for tank lighting

with the following modes - Override "on", Delay switch off (fades light out), immediate off, Sump light override on.

Pumps

Controls all pumps.

Prevents pumps running dry (Level sensors)
Overdosing of RO water (Time management system and level sensors)
Override on RO pump
Feeding time (switches off pumps for a preset time for feeding)

Temperature

Controls tank temp to 0.1 Deg C.
Controls any heating and cooling device.
Starts shutting lights down at preset temp to limit heat build up.

Other Options

Control automatic water changes
Control feeding
Ph monitor / controller

Could probably do what ever you wanted, except getting your mother-in-law to move out the house........still working on that!:lol:

Overall view
39248d6b45168d03.jpg

The Guts
39248d6b47559ad1.jpg

DIY Temp Probe
39248d6b4ffe3966.jpg

Temp Probe Amplifier
39248d6b581a8d6c.jpg

All systems go....
39248d6b5b192637.jpg

LCD - Temp = 18.6 (For inside a flat in Durban, It's COLD)
39248d6b5fe4d19f.jpg

What you think? Can I leave my day job yet? :lol:
</IMG>

bliksem dude!!!

do you work for eskom?

this is really neat, were did you learn to do this?

Thx Lanzo

I tripped the electricity when I was 3, never been the same again;) Really not that hard, just tell it what you want it to do.

lIghty, looking good, if you don't mind me asking whats the price of those Siemens Logo modules, and how difficult are they to use for a person with very little electronics knowledge? I am looking at doing something similar and but I've been looking at the "make controller" and the "arduino". Do you think the Siemens modules will be easier?

lIghty, looking good, if you don't mind me asking whats the price of those Siemens Logo modules, and how difficult are they to use for a person with very little electronics knowledge? I am looking at doing something similar and but I've been looking at the "make controller" and the "arduino". Do you think the Siemens modules will be easier?

They not that difficult to program if you have the software and a pc, if you doing it manually without software to assist... them a bit tricky. The nice thing is it can do what ever you want it to do... The PLCs start at about R1800 new, but I'm got a contact trying to get second hand.

Very nice. Been looking at doing the same, but I think in the long run better to get ones made for the tank like the IKS. I want to put some other probes one like PH etc.

The brand names are great, but at a great price too.

They not that difficult to program if you have the software and a pc, if you doing it manually without software to assist... them a bit tricky. The nice thing is it can do what ever you want it to do... The PLCs start at about R1800 new, but I'm got a contact trying to get second hand.

The brand names are great, but at a great price too.

That is cheep. What module are u using for the temp. Was looking at a Mv for PH and other probes, but not sure if they are Mv or Ma probes. I was also looking at linking to PC so that I can log the info as I have the software for that. I have done some work for a client to make a PLC wireless and it works GR8.

That is cheep. What module are u using for the temp. Was looking at a Mv for PH and other probes, but not sure if they are Mv or Ma probes. I was also looking at linking to PC so that I can log the info as I have the software for that. I have done some work for a client to make a PLC wireless and it works GR8.

I made the Temp Probe, its a liniar IC (10mv/C), and used a 10 fold amp to get the PLC to register the 0.1 deg C res. But you would be able to use a Mv or Ma sensor, just if you use a Ma you would have to include a Ma to MA converter.

Hi Guys doing the same set up using same PLC i will control lighting temp and much everything else a powerful PLC.Looking at putting a screen on my system with all the read outs and info from the PLC PH, Temp etc how do you attach the photos

I have only played around with a Mitsubishi plc, done very little programming.

Can't you get a analog module for the siemans plc.

Not fimiliar with the Mitsubishi. Some of the Siemens have analog inputs and some not, requiring an extra module.

Guys can we talk english please? Very cool white box Justin! I can think of few other cool marine things i could be surprised find in a box, oh, wait, i can;)
I second that scubaninja!!:baffled: Very cool thread, once i figure out what you guys are on about i'll attempt to build my own too...:razz:

Back
Top Bottom