My way

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by ADVdiver, 21 Feb 2012.

1. ADVdiver

ADVdiver

So i finally got approval for a fish tank, no wait let me rephrase that I finally found a tank small enough for approval.

Well that happened 5 weeks ago and its been standing in its place doing nothing while i ummmed and ahhhed as to the perfect setup and well. until last weekend I decided not to over complicate it.

;) Maybe just a little.

Thanks to Sumeshan and Nemo's Janitor I got some awesome equipment and all those old bits and pieces lying around at work got put to good use.

The tank

1m X 0.5m X 0,5m
    Water level @ 0.450m
    It had a normal corner overflow which consumed a fair amount of space so I cut it out and built a skinny one covering the LHS. I also cut out the old stained clear silicone and resealed the tank with black silicone.

And that's how it stood while i ummmed and ahhhed about the rest of it.
    Here is a pic of the tank

[​IMG]

Here is the new overflow.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Feb 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ADVdiver

ADVdiver Thread Starter

So on Sunday got a few of the other bits and pieces together and got a lot of stuff done.

The filter got packed and equipment placed. Plumbing put together and sorted.

The filter is gonna cause some chatter as most would not use it but its simple to the point and does what i want it too. Standard three chamber sump.

First chamber has the Deltec APH 525 skimmer ( This is an old one with the main chamber in need of a litter repair but managed to fix with out an issues.) A feed pump for the H2Ocean fluidized reactors in the bottom of this same chamber to feed its reactor (bio pellets) which feeds the skimmer directly. Heater also stand in this chamber and is none other than a 300w Jager Heater.

Second Chamber is filled from top to bottom
    Filter matt
    Assorted bio media
    BIO Balls and lots of them

Third chamber holds the return pump (H2Ocean 5000L/h) which tee's to the tank and a second H2Ocean fluidized reactor with Rowa Phos. The reactor with the bio pellets also stands in this chamber.

Here's a pic

[​IMG]

So i also managed to do the aquascaping with some Bali dry rock a little over 30Kg.
    Got the power tools out drilled a few hole's cut a few pieces of PVC rod and k-ching job done. The main reason i opted for this root is i wanted full control over what pests, critter, etc I want in my tank. (sick and tired of live rock with aiptasia or huge bristle worm, crabs, etc)

So here is a pic. WE ALL LOVE THEM PIC'S:thumbup:

[​IMG]

Another from the side

[​IMG]

Ooooh forgot to mention the substrate this is one of my favorites. Cant recall the name but its the perfect round little balls. It is moved around easily does not compact and extremely easy to clean.

4. ADVdiver

ADVdiver Thread Starter

A little more complication for some else a very nice to have for me.

Calcium reactor :tt2: well lets just say I'm really lucky its a PF501 reactor i have opted for the RowaLith W 9-15ml as i had some of the other and want to compare which is more effective with out Ph control.

I Have the D-D complete Co2 set connected running 12hrs a day by switching of the solenoid. Calcium reactor is fed by peristaltic pump and bubble rate of CO2 is slightly lower than flow rate through the reactor.

Well as you can probably guess the tank was filled and running last night.

Internal circulation is also sorted I am again using a H2Ocean 5000l/p

Will post some mor pics once the tank has cleared up

5. ADVdiver

ADVdiver Thread Starter

All went well last night no leaks tanks still full of water.

Skimmer cup was full of water this morning had to re-adjust the air flow on skimmer now that it has run in and the bio pellets had clogged up against the top grid of the reactor so I adjusted the flow through the reactor and all okay.:thumbup:

Skimmer seems to be sitting a little low in the sump so also need to raise it up a little.

Only one problem.......

I want fish and Coral tanks boring while empty.:(

Going to try organise me some lights for tank today will update soonest

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

nice going.
    Great expectations, and a lot of self induced pressure. Being a sponsor your tank must be 100% all the time. :blush:
    I know its not always possible, as it is a living environment.

Looks good.

7. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Nice, I'm curious about this substrate, is it from Caribsea?

8. crispin

crispin

nice to see you getting hands wet again:)

9. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

About time you got a tank. love the scaping BTW

10. brentv

brentv

Just wanna check, Having the Bio Balls in your sump... is that not gonna just be a detritus trap?? Would it not be better to try fill that compartment with more LR instead, or are you doing that coz you running the NP Reactor??

11. ADVdiver

ADVdiver Thread Starter

thanks @RiaanP will sure like to try for the 100% :whistling:

@viper357 I think its the same but without the price tag of caribsea. Got it from Nemo's Janitor.

@crispin my hands are always wet only difference now is that they wet at home.;)

Thanks @butcherman I do too. Now to cover all that rock with coral. Not really my first tank as I treat all my clients tanks as if they where my own. :thumbup:

@brentv the bio balls are there because they work great for taking up space in the filter and hold a reasonable amount of aerobic bacteria they are raised about 50mm form the base of the sump and there is no baffle in front of this compartment so it easy to maintain by sucking out the detritus that may settle below them as it would with any media or rock. They have nothing to do with the NP reactor other than processing waste quickly and efficiently ammonia and nitrite are not things I want lurking around for lengthy periods of time. Nitrates are easy to fix even if the bio pellets don't work, I will diy it into and denitrator.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  12. brentv

brentv

Cool, From the pic couldn't see they were raised!;)

13. ADVdiver

ADVdiver Thread Starter

@brentv sorry I had cropped it out of the pic, will post more pic's of the filtration once I have sorted everything out including the calcium reactor and CO2 setup.

14. ADVdiver

ADVdiver Thread Starter

So the tank has been running two days now and the water is still murky skimmer is pulling it out but what do you think the cause of of this maybe I have my thoughts but want fellow reefer's opinions.

15. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Did you wash the sand?

16. butcherman

you running filter floss?

17. Wes

Wes

I've had plenty success with sponge filtration, temporary well placed sponge can clear a tank fast.

18. ADVdiver

ADVdiver Thread Starter

@viper357 yes I rinsed the substrate thoroughly and even the rocks.

@butcherman not filter floss but filter matt

I beleave its the initial ammonia spike which normal takes place after 14 days will post a full work up on the water parameters this evening.

I have a very good idea what's caused it, I have not added anything to the aquarium in terms of biological booster or anything else other than what's been posted above.

Anyone want to take a guess.

19. butcherman

The dry bali rocks? namely the old die off?

20. ADVdiver

ADVdiver Thread Starter

@butcherman it is possible but rocks were extremely dry like a new piece of bio rock. They got rinsed well aswell.
    It was a thought before I set it up and thus the reason for rinsing of the rock

It was clearer when I first filled the tank an definitely got worse after the first morning.

The Rowlith also got a good rinsing before I set up the calcium reactor.

21. ADVdiver

ADVdiver Thread Starter

@Wes. Filter mat is in correctly and no bypass at all. Definitely due to biological reasons.

Even the calcium reactor outlet passes through the filter matt first.

Recent Posts