My very first marine tank

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by johanpm, 22 Nov 2009.

1. johanpm

johanpm

Hi all,

The tank is finally up and running (Boyu LT550)

I went shopping today and bought the LR, crushed coral and SEIO 350.

I have left the back of the tank stock standard for now. Just one question...

I keep on reading that I should remove the bioballs and ceramic rings. Should I put anything in its place in this tank? I suppose its better to make the changes now, considering the tank has only been running for 1 day.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dv8

dv8

hi johanpm, welcome to the sight.

i think if you have the bio balls etc then use them, i prefer a sand bed and sump, unfortunately i don't think that works too well with bought tanks.

how is the flow in your tank? any chance of a pic of what you have done so far? you made any plans for what fish you want to keep?

4. bissey

bissey

I just read that you should replace them with "Live Rock Rubble" about 2 mins ago, but i am new this as well!

5. johanpm

johanpm Thread Starter

The flow seems quite good -- i think. Well, the sugar fine crushed coral seems to be moving all the time. There are also some "things" on the LR that keep on moving.

I will post a pic as soon as the water is clear after adding the crushed coral. I still have small bubbles on the glass.

6. johanpm

johanpm Thread Starter

oh, almost forgot...

There are a few reasons I've decided to get the tank.

Firstly, I've always wanted a marine tank.
    Secondly, my 3 year old had Nemo on his list to santa.

I know it might sound corny, but if he wants nemo, he'll have nemo.

So, not sure what fish and corals I"m going to have yet, but will def have nemo. :)

7. Annoying

Annoying

Great, good luck with the new tank. I think the best is to remove the biobals and ceramic rings as they trap detrius. Rather add live rock rubble or maybe try to make a space for algae like chaeto...

8. chikaboo

chikaboo

Great start johan - remember our previous posts .... take it slow or you will be dissapointed! Livestock is a nono for at least a month - let your tank settle in - what we guys call a "cycle" - it basically means the water has enough gogga's in them to deal with anything that shouldn't be in the water. Like building up ones immune system to fight off diseases and nasties.. sit back and enjoy the cycling process - there will be lots of things going on till you ready for fishes. Also pics will help alot - before you do anything else let us "look" at what you got going so far and fix anything before it goes too far (if need be)

9. johanpm

johanpm Thread Starter

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Thanks for all the help and support.

Here are some pics...

The back -- From right to left
    1st compartment - big black spunge and skimmer
    2nd compartment - heater
    3rd - ceramic rings and bioballs
    4th - pump and something else - could be a uv light in a pipe, not sure

10. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

Ok first of all welcome. Secondly i love nano tanks and thats all i have had so far in my experience with this hobby.

please remove the bio balls and ceramic rings as these are old school and dont really work all too well with filtration.

u might want to considder buying yourself some phosfate remover.

other than that for a nano ive learnt buy smaller pieces of live rock as this helps in creating better scaping than big pieces.

goodluck with this truelly amazing hobby and feel free to ask any questions

11. johanpm

johanpm Thread Starter

I still have about 5kg of sugar fine crushed coral left after setting the tank up. Would it be wise and possible to use this in the back of my tank to replace bioballs in ceramic rings?

12. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

i wouldnt do that as a dsb needs to be at least ten cm's deep to be effeciant and then it also needs to be big enough.

add about 1kg of rock per every 8 liter of water the tank can hold. a good thing is to get smallish pieces of live rock and put that in one of the chambers.

what i saw another guy do is put the skimmer in first chamber, liverock rubble in second phosphate remover in third and then two pumps in the last, the one pump pumps back to the first chamber and the other pump return to the tank, in this way the filtration in the back compartments filters twice.

13. johanpm

johanpm Thread Starter

ah, that sounds like a great idea.

thx Johan

14. mnd123

mnd123

Welcome Johan, nice to see you asking Q's before going large :)

15. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Welcome to MASA...

16. Jurgs

Jurgs

welcome and happy days with your new tank.

17. johanpm

johanpm Thread Starter

quick question...

is it normal for bits of my new LR to die?

The LR had some kind of red colouring to parts of it, which is now going white.

18. johanpm

johanpm Thread Starter

Ok, ok.

I suppose I need to search the forum before asking a stupid question...

I got my answer. Panic over!

19. Apollo

Apollo

Hello Johan and welcome to MASA,

You've already received some good advice from the other members.
    Just a few more thoughts from my side:

1.The black sponge in your filter compartment needs to be cleaned(washed) regularly ( every 3-4 days) , otherwise it will become a Nitrate factory.

2. The Bio balls & creamic rings have to go as already stated by others. Put some Phosphate remover & carbon in there.

3. Insofar LR rubble in the filter compartments is concerned: IMO this could become a detritus trap and eventually lead Nitrate spikes etc. The flow through the back of the Boyu filter compartments is not great ( even if you add another pump), so it is very likely that detritus will eventually settle in and between the LR rubble.

4. From your picture, I notice that you have the Seio facing downwards onto the LR. Rather angle the Seio in such a way that the flow is directed towards the front glass. In this way the flow will bounce off the glass and create a more random flow. Remember that you want a chaotic type of flow in the tank and not a unidirectional flow. Your LR and the critters on it, will also appreciate not being blasted directly with a strong flow.

5. May I also suggest that you invest in another SEIO pump. The current Seio you have is too weak to provide sufficient water turnover. Put the Seio's on opposite sides of the tank and angle them towards the surface and the front glass.

6. As already stated: Be patient and take it slowly with the tank. Read as much as you can .

Good luck , and enjoy the adventure

Just a thought .;)

20. johanpm

johanpm Thread Starter

Hi all,

Just an update...

I have now removed the ceramic rings and bioballs. Replaced them with Elimi-phos longlife and activated carbon.

Also installed a second pump in the display tank - 6000l/h.

[​IMG][​IMG]

21. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A very warm WELCOME to MASA Johan! Great to have you on-board mate! Good start! Well, well - now THAT is more than enough water flow in a nano tank then! Both the SEIO m530 as well as the Dual SunSun 6000.....

Recent Posts