Urgent help needed My Torch Coral Seems to be dieing

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by nick_fraser, 27 Jul 2010.

1. nick_fraser

nick_fraser

Hi All

My Torch Coral seems to be Dying. I have had it for about 8 months no problems. It has 4 heads and all had been extending fully and Tom Clown has been his best friend. about 2 months ago i added a Hammer Head Coral +- 30 CM away and from it and since about a month ago my Torch coral hasn’t been extending fully. last night i noticed the one head has just disintegrated so that only the skeleton is left and another one heading the same way. the other 2 heads seem fine but are not extending. All my other Corals are fine. my water parameters are 100%. the only thing that is a little off is the water temp which is sitting at about 21 22.

Any Idea’s what could be causing this? I have moved it closer to my lights and a higher flow area to see if this helps.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mandarinman

mandarinman

i would dip it in a mild iodine solution for five or so min, put it back in tank in a heavier(broad ) water movement area(not rough) and dose tank with brightwells amino acid drops so that it can retrieve nutrients. also check , kh, calcium and magnesium cos if they are low corals can get very unhappy(not only sps) and it may not be getting enough of the above three to maintain its skeleton to which fleshy parts are attached

4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

reading your post it could be one of 2 things:

clown hosting in LPS corals can cause damage, this maybe take a while, but sometimes the damage can happen and irritate the coral.

the chemical warfare could be the second, are you running carbon?

i would suggest sumping the coral for a month or so to recover, make sure there is light there for it. one can use a 6500k energy saver.

5. mandarinman

mandarinman

this sounds less drastic than my suggestion (i tend to be guilty of overkill)

6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

The hammer coral could be extending it's sweeper tentacles at night and stinging the torch, these sweeper tentacles can extend up to 40cm's apparently.

7. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Hiden super user

I think even if its not the problem you should raise your temp to at least 24 degrees.

8. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

What's going on Nick? You start an Urgent thread 4 days ago and then no response from you? Is the coral dead?

9. nick_fraser

nick_fraser Thread Starter

Hay Viper

I have been reading the Comments. I have moved the Torch Coral away from the hammer and in to the middle of the tank where the flow is a bit weeker and it seems to be doing better. the 2 heads that looked sick have still died but the other two are fine.

Recent Posts