My tank

Discussion in 'New Members' started by lancehall123, 21 Feb 2012.

1. lancehall123

lancehall123

Hi Guys,

I am kinda new to the forum and the Marine Aquarium world. I am really enjoying it so far.

Please have a look at my tank and any criticism is welcome here.

This is my display tank. I also have a breeding tank too but I don't have any photo's of that yet but I will upload when I get a change.

I know the tank is small but that is all the space I have at the moment.

Enjoy guys!

Thanks,
    Lance

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lancehall123

lancehall123 Thread Starter

Forgot the image.

[​IMG]

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Looks good, nice and clean substrate, love the size of that Leather coral. Is that one of those shop bought backgrounds on the back glass?

5. lancehall123

Hey Viper357,

Thank you. Yeah, that leather coral is one of my favourites. You cant see because of the light but I have a sand anemone in there too. I thought my clowns would have liked it but they don't. Yeah the background is one of those shop bought ones. It hides the cables and pipes down the back nicely.

I have seen some really good rockwork on the forum. I am going to give this a go and then I will update the pics.

I hope you guys noticed the DIY Skimmer on the far right. :)

thanks,
    Lance

6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I see it now, the limewood airstone, those things work like a bomb for skimmers.

7. seank

seank

Hi Lance , welcome if I have not said it before. How old is the tank now??

8. lancehall123

Hi Seank,

I am not sure but thank you anyway. My tank is about 2 months old now and still going strong. I had a couple of glitches in the beginning with ammonia but after that I have had a great time with this.

Are there any tips you guys can give me on what I should attempt next?

Thanks,
    Lance

9. GT

GT

I would recommend having less sand on the bottom. Having it so thick allows for nitrates to build up. I had this problem last year and ever since I removed half my sand the tank has been hundreds

10. lancehall123

Thank you for the recommendation here. There is actually not a lot of sand in there. I think it must be the angle of the photo that makes it look like that.

How do you guys get that nice rock work. Do you chip the rocks to the size you want first and then set it up outside the tank and then insert it into the tank or something?

My big leather keeps falling over and then drouping. Any suggestions on that too please?

Thanks,
    Lance

11. seank

seank

Most guys pack the rock the way they want and then use epoxy or pratley to glue it together

Wrt Leather... You get glue from an LFS (type pf superglue- not sure what it is called) or you can use an elastic rubber band or cotton to tie it to a rock, once it has stuck itself to the rock, you can remove the rubber band or cotton

12. lancehall123

Hi SeanK

Thank you for the response. I dont think I will be glueing the rocks together because if I want or need to move them for any reason then I wont be able too.

Wrt Leather, I am going to try this and see who it goes. Will post pics again once I have done this.

Shot

13. lancehall123

Hey Guys,

I would like to frag the leather coral. Do you think that it is big enough to do it and please could you help me by recommending how I do this

Thanks,
    Lance

14. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Defiantly looks big enough to frag. You will need the following a blade, iodine, potatoe/onion netting some live rock/frag plug, and ofcourse protective glasses.

15. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Remove some tank water and keep one side in a bucket. You need to take the leather with the rock it is attached to out of the water. Best to have gloves and glasses on as leathers sometime squirt water when pressed on or handled.
    Take a new Stanley knife blade and cut off the piece/s you want to frag. Rince the left over coral with the water in the bucket to get rid of the slimy stuff the coral gives off and put back into tank. Also rince the smaller frags and tie them down onto other pieces of rock with rubber bands, or stick them onto frag plugs or sell them, etc
    You will also experience a nice strong smell :p
    The area that was cut will heal in a few weeks and just grow again - if the water parameters are correct according to the coral's needs. Some guys will say you might need to dip the coral, your choice - I never did and the coral healed and grew well :)

Recent Posts