My Tank Rebuild

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by PeterL, 17 Apr 2010.

1. PeterL

PeterL

Just rebuilt my tank today, exchanged for another tank with a surface skim overflow for a siphon arrangement.

This is a before pic, took it the other night. One the way to bed I quickly switched on some light and snapped it but only ralised after that everything is "sleeping" - so it is a bad one - but still gives you an idea of what it looked like before.

[​IMG]

The new tank, just cleaned it and ready for the "big day"

[​IMG]

The new tank waiting to be put into place, this was a night shot with my phone and it isn't the bast at night pics.

[​IMG]

I missed out on the "action" pics but here is my wife busy doing the aquascaping for us.

[​IMG]

Another of her enjoying herself - she had a blast doing that.

[​IMG]

We eventually got the canpoy on an switched some lights on - the dust was quite a thing, put fine filter matter in the mix to try clean the water

[​IMG]

This is the end result...still some clearing of the water to happen but I anticipate it will be clear bu the morning.

[​IMG]

You think I did good, bad or just gone sideways??
    I was aiming for an improvement...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mandarinman

mandarinman

looks excellent for such a short time!

4. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

The first pic after rebuild was taken at 4:15pm, the last pic where it is nearly clear is at 9:25pm. Just had a look now at 11:05pm and tank is crystal clear...Filtration system is working overtime at the moment, I just hope the fine fiter matter I have (seen in top left corner of last pic) isn't too fine and causes trouble with the overall system filteration processes...

5. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

At the top I meant to say that I have removed the tank with the siphon for a tank which now has a surface skim overflow...Kill 2 birds with 1 stone, I get surface skimming and also better assurance the in the event of a power failure, my system wont overflow my refugium and is guaranteed to start up hassle free.

6. mnd123

mnd123

Nice work zombie. Does the trickle filter in the overflow help with noise reduction? You will need to change that filter floss regularly.

Otherwise nice work

7. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Looking good Peter. Nice to see the wife taking an interest. Makes it easier to justify that new bit or two in the future. :)

The Bio balls in the overflow must stay until the tank has cycled properly because your DSB is brand new. After about 4 or 5 weeks keep an eye on the Nitrates if they start to rise, slowly remove a few Bio balls, a few a week. Also keep an eye on the filter mat at the overflow. If it clogs your tank will flood and your sump will drain. Better to put the filter mat in the sump or in the T1000 out let box thing.

I would also like to have seen the skimmer on the other side of the tank skimming before the dsb rather than after the dsb.

But yup a much better and neater system. Well done

Last edited: 18 Apr 2010
  8. Afsal

Afsal

looking gud , i'l go with NJ said , but also increase the dsb a bit, that is add more sand

9. crispin

crispin

surprising to see you go with bioballs at the start of this tank, do you intend to keep them or just use them to convert nitrites in the beginning? out of interest how many kg or LR/tank vollume do you have, and do you not feel that this would be as good as the bioballs?

ive questioned the use of bioballs as a nitrate factory issue for a while and I think that using them at the beginning of a tanks set up could be useful, but i am not sure I would go with something that might need removal slowly over a period of time as it matures. Do you intend to have a durso in there later, or just have the trickle filter?

PS how did you catch the wrass to transfer it over?

10. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Crispin the old tank had a side built in filter. He move the aerobic bacteria colonised bio balls as it was the only filtration matured. Rather have a small nitrate issue in the beginning than an Ammonia/nitrite one. The dsb was also totally redone (I Think). So if the bio balls were not transferred there would have been a bigger danger of Ammonia and nitrite spiking. There will be a spike of course but not as big with what he has done.

11. crispin

crispin

fair enough, besides those bioballs are great at breaking down the nitites, but id try remove them in a few months time, once biological filtration catches up

12. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

I transferred the boiballs from the other tank, that to help breakdown the nitrates.
    The very first thought was to stop the toilet effect and I figured I could "kill 2 birds with 1 stone" in filtration same time.

The DSB you see was actually the original Refugium that was put together, I am changing up the refugium withing the next week or two to a 3ft DSB. I needed to get the system together ASAP but didn't look at the skimmer position too carefully and only realised it was wrong after I had the system up and running.

Here raises the question, should I move the skimmer to the inlet right away or will it still perform its desired effect considering that it is in a refugium currently and not a DSB...I need experienced guys feedback here.

To get to catching the wrasse, that was the strangest thing, I figured I would battle - but not. I unloaded all the rock, LS and fish and started draining the water - the plan was to remove the substrate slowly when the water level gets low enough to still sustain the littlge guy. When I moved some of the sand out the way to get the pump as low as possible for draining, there he was - just kind of "surrendered" and I took him out. Strangely he gave the least fight to being moved of all the fish.

I loaded all the fish into the system after filtering for a few hrs, just wanted to clear up a bit, they all seemed happy and generally behaving like fish :lol:. The LS all got given their new homes and I expected to see them unappy, the Kenya tree took some time to adjust but it is looking OK now, I am still nursing the Candy cane to proper health (hope this move doesn't retard my had work thus far), that however looks better now than what it did and the rest of the LS just seemed to come out and have a look with a surprising reaction of hapiness from them all. I honestly didn't expect to see good reactions from anything I put into the new setup, I seriously thought I waould see a day or two of unhappy life...

13. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Just a thought, and this may become a debate but I need that to et this right...

As mentioned above, I am taking the existing 2ft refugium out in about a week or two and putting a 3ft tank in it's place, here is the hot question.

Do I leave the bioballs with fiter matter in and go refugium and nitrate fiilter, or, remove the bioballs and go DSB? I know this is a debatable topic based on various opinions and so on, but I have the opportunity to do this right this time around - I didn't do it right the last time, however I never had any fatalaties but maybe that was just pure luck.

Can I get some advice on this one please, I am currently sitting on a fence and am balancing well - I need to fall to either side of the fence and get a decision but just can't because I don't know enough about either of the systems to sway me to which one.

I intend on going with some more corals (frog spawn/torch coral, hammer coral etc..., maybe a few more fish but no nennies - this is going to stay a nennie free tank.) - so now that you have an idea what is going to be in the DT, it may - or may not - held with the info...

14. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

I have about 9Kg LR, the remaining rock is base rock. The thought process is that over time, the base rock will cover up. I have been looking at many set-up's and have see so many people not using the "recomended" quantity of LR and also slowly picking up that the LR is what some are basically using for almost a replacement of their filter system.

The point of the LR in my tank was to offer faster settlement and processing to get my tank to settle, when the system is still "fresh" it basically has nothing in the water which is good enough to sustain life properly and I am not going to dump mega loads of LR into my system - I find it futile to spend so much money on LR when if one just is prepared to have a little more patience, the lesser amounts with the other filters seem to do the job just fine.

I will over time slowly remove the bio balls but they are going to stay there for at least the next 6-8weeks, I am changing my refugium in a week or two as I said and I need assitance with the Nitrates until the DSB is doing it's thing. After the new DSB has been going for about 3 week I am going to take about a handful of bioballs out each week until they are completely out.

Now comes another question, what does one put into that vacancy (overflow chaber) to stop the toilet effect? Currently the bioballs are raising the filter matter which is doing that for me, do I just raise the water level in the chamber to do this?

15. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Your bio balls in the overflow are performing another function worth considering. They are increasing DO.

16. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Is that a good or bad thing?

17. Tremayn

Tremayn

tank is looking good! :) cant wait to start my build :thumbup:

18. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Thank you.

I got a really strange thing happening, I have a high evaporation seemingly - noticable on the refugium level because it is exposed under the DT without a closure/wrap arong cupboard. My water temp is slowly rising since the rebuild but is still way down at 23.7deg C...It has climbed slowly since the rebuild yesterday and in about 24hrs it has climbed about 1 degree, I am aiming for 25degrees. Bottom line is that the water isn't really hot to evaporate so much in 1 day, more so in that today has been cool (my house is a cold house (no carpets, tilled throughout and activity rooms are shaded) so it was cool inside for us)...Why the evaporation?

The top of my tank has sliders closing the top, a few openings by the overflow and inlet pipe but nothing seemingly significant and no leaks noticable anywhere in the system. The skimmer has collected about 1/2 a cup over the past 24hrs but the volume loss is probably about 1-1,5L - can anyone explain this??

19. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

DO (Dissolved oxygen) is very good. Far to many reef tanks lack in this department. More tanks suffer from lack of DO than those of excess.

20. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

In your opinion, long term, should I keep the bioballs or take them out?
    I am hearing conflicting info and am reading here there and everywhere to find out if they should stay or go and nothing solid is coming up

21. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

I got to ask because I actually have no idea - what is DO and what does it or does it not do for the system?

Recent Posts