My Starter Reef

Discussion in 'New Members' started by GMasson, 18 Mar 2011.

1. GMasson

GMasson

Hi

I Finally got around to getting my reef going after 2 years of thinking about it. and with so many different opinions on things its hard to get things going.

but for the moment my setup is almost ready for its first fill, a few modifications here and there and maybe a stand and good to go

My Tank
    Custom Build 1400 X 500 X 500

1 X 6000l/h SunSun Power head
    1 X 2000l/h Reefsun Power head with bi directional flow

2 X 10000K HO T5 54W in custom cabinet
    will add 1 or 2 more lights later on after cycle

my overflow is stocked with some filter sponges and bio balls that will be cleaned out thoroughly during water changes and custom siphon with ball valves to control output flow

my 3ft sump consists of

2200L/H ViaAqua Skimmer
    planned 10cm DSB and LR (unsure what else to add to sump)
    1700LPH Main Return Pump
    2000L/H split pump (First Split feeding 3ft UV Sterilizer directly to Main Display, Second split feeding Reverse Flow Under Gravel Filter) - i might have to drop this pump for something lower depending on flow rate for the RFUG and UV sterilizer so it doesn't cause problems so far in a fresh water test run all seems well.

the substrate i am well off to the beach this weekend during the spring tide get some sand for my display and the DSB

going to run my tank on NSW hoping for no heavy rain.

for my aquascaping i have some base rock, sandstone and other rock collected. i have been warned plenty on the risks but for as long as i can remember my farther has run his tanks with sandstone and rocks collected along durban's shores without any adverse effects,
    apparently the key is boiling and scrubbing and boiling and scrubbing and soaking and scrubbing, to literally kill anything living inside it.
    I was also advised by somebody to soak it in a slight solution of jik for a few days but i don't think i will be doing that could cause more problems than it solves.

i'm open to all opinions, suggestions and criticism.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Welcome to MASA
    Well the scrubbing, :eek: boiling :eek: and jiking were the old days thing. A no no today. One wants to preserve all the life available on the rocks for biological advantages and the cause of being able to keep a living piece of the ocean. Chose the rock diligently and it will act as a filter media and keep life beneficial to the aquaria you create.

One must remember that creatures found in the tank are your responsibility. You created the demand and purchased the mortar they were naturally housed in or collecter via a permit. They did nothing to deserve eviction and had no part in the deal.

Taking responsibility is difficult sometimes but it is what the hobby is all about, isn't it, ? I hope you find it in your heart to ensure all creatures found have a happy existence in your aquarium.

:thumbup:

Last edited: 19 Mar 2011
  4. Afsal

Afsal

well said , NJ for president ....

5. maxisoft

maxisoft

Welcome To MASA

6. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

good advice from NJ;) while your tank is cycling remember to minimize your lighting period.if you run your lights for long periods while cycling you going to get algea blooms.even though you will still get algea while cycling...green hair algea (GHA) and Cyno algea. bye running your lights for shorter periods it will help to minimize GHA.live rock is a good sorce of filtration like NJ said.so choose your rock carefully...try look for very porus rock wich will be more benificial for filtration.i wouldnt suggest sandstone.
    good luck and keep us posted with your progress.:)

7. Tremayn

Tremayn

Welcome :)

8. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Welcome, tank is sounding good...used quite a few sandstone pieces in my tank as base rock whe n I started up and never had any issues so I am sure you will be fine. But maybe get a few nice pieces of liverock from your LFS to help seed those rocks and get that biological filtration kicking in.

How about a few pics of things so far? ;)

9. Jeann1

Jeann1

welcometomasa

I also have some rock collected from durbans shores, used it as baserock, and collaline algea form the LR already growing on it, so cant see why you whould have problems..

Maby soak the rock in RO water for a day or 2 to get rid of any possible loose bits

Good luck with the Tank, Keep us posted and the pics comming!!!

Last edited: 19 Mar 2011
  10. robertkukla

robertkukla

Welcome to MASA

11. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome, enjoy the stay:peroni:

12. toppdogg

toppdogg

masahello
    tank sounds good

Last edited: 20 Mar 2011