My slow go tank!!

Discussion in 'Large Tanks' started by Annoying, 3 Dec 2009.

1. Annoying

Annoying

Hey
    I've been wanting to start a thread on my tank at the moment! It's by far not complete and unfortunetley I had to go through allot of newbie mistakes and finally I got those mistakes under control!!!This thread will go on where I'm at the moment and maybe I can go on so far that I can start to call it a reef!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

I converted my 1.8 meter frehwater discus tank to marine this is how it looked while I emptied it!
    [​IMG]

4. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

I did my rockwork out of polystyrene , I got the idea out of ushaka wich most of the reefs are made out of polystyrene.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

I filled up the tank ( with tap water:nono:) and was ready for the cycle to start:slayer:!!!Here on all the newbie mistakes began!!! I didn't have a sump or a skimmer!:nono:My lighting consisted of 8x 40 watt energy savers and 2x Marine blue moon T8!!!! ( I know I'm gonna be crapped out for this!)

[​IMG]
    Added some live rock...

[​IMG]

6. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Actually everything went great...For a week:lol:! I started getting cyano everywhere and it drove me nuts!!! I was so angry that I made the biggest mistake in my life I asked a pet shop for help( I just became a member when this happend so I didn't actually read the website much:whistling:)... He told me to throw antibiotics in the water and to cover my display tank with caulerpa. Thats not the worst later recearch of the biotics said I should maximum throw in 2 pills in 3 days in the tank, he told me 10!!!
    The caulerpa went sexual and the cyano started giving up toxins! I lost my prized powder blue tang( It was my favourite fish:() and a black and white perculla! Luckily there weren't much fish in the tank!

[​IMG]
    Tank after going sexual!!!
    [​IMG]

7. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Then I started to talk with Lanzo ( thanks a mil:thumbup:) he pointed ou what was wrong with the tank and told me how to fix it. I almost called him over everything and anything( he propebly got so annoyed of me he dreaded to answer the phone when it rang:lol:, well atleast it suits my name!) . He told me to get better lighting and a sump and a SKIMMER!!!He also told me to get rid of the caulerpa as soon as possible! A week or two (and a few thousand or eight rand ) passed and the stuff were coming on, I got a reeftek TS3 skimmer and 2 x metal hallides and 2 x 54 watt light fittings ( thanks Oom moolis;)). My tank actually started to recover, over a period of time. Now finally starting to take shape again!My corals ( the only two I have) are opening up great and the fish seem very happy. I learned allot and I'm still learning and looking back, I think I was an idiot and propebly am still, but at least I'm learning and hopefully this tank can become something one day;).

[​IMG]

8. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

My corals at the moment
    Purple mushroom
    [​IMG]
    My zoa's, my african clown always tries to host in it but they don't accept it. Could this in the future hurt the zoa's?
    [​IMG]

9. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

A few of the fish, currently I have a regal tang,scopas tang,yellowtail damsel, african clown, spotted foxface.
    [​IMG]

My regal's little hiding space, below the mushroom rock. He loves it there but he ain't gonna be able to go in there for long...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

very nice,glad you didnt give up the hobby after some trouble... enjoy!!

11. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Thanks, I almost gave up on the hobby but then I thaught... If I can't keep fish then what will I do with my life:lol:

12. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Tank is looking very nice...

13. Seabass

Seabass

I like it

Sounds like a hell of a trip. But you did alot right, 1.8m that’s the way to start; my lfs sold me a 450 Boyu, 58l, now 7 months down the line and lots of RRR down I wish I went for at least a 1.2m.

Your rockwork looks great, please let us in on the secrets to make rock like that, you could please pm me the details.

I love shrooms, so again nice. Tell us a bit more and keep us updated on future plans / research and developments.
    :thumbup:

14. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

It's actuallty very easy to make the rockwork. You stick layers of 2.5cm polystyrene at different heights onto eachother with foam filler(that yellow foam stuff) silicon doesn.t work. Then you take a burner and you can burn the polystyrene that you can't see the steps and burns some dents and holes into it. To get the rugged rock feeling you can heat allot of metal stuff like pipes and spautullats and allot of thoses stuff.Just randomly press a piece of pipe in and turn and wiggle it a bit, then you get holes and caves. The best thing about the polystyrene is that you can hide any pumps for flow in the tank and any in tank equipment. What I did then was to take cement and cover the polystyrene. The burning marks and dents help that the pcement don't come lose easily. After that I used a cement pain (a light colour) and I mixed it with acrylic colours of my choise. This is where the fun begins, you can throw and splash the colours any way you please and the best thing is you can make it purple and pink for coralline algae, so you don't have to wait:). When done you use that yellow foam to stick it in the tank. The foam is extremely strong and able to keep the polystyrene under water.

The tank is 1.8m x 600mm x 650mm. The lighting consists of a unit that with 2 x 150 watt metal hallides I think 20000K but not as blue. It also has 2 54 watt 10000K T5's.Circulation consistc of 2 3700L pump that are connected with pipes with several holes drilled in (you can see the pipe in the corners) I drilled the holes to aim precisely to the rock and where I would like to keep strong and low flow corals. By the time the stream hits the rock it's doesn't have the strangth and rather moves more natural... I have another 3700L pump that brins water from beneath and give flow above the rockwork. I also have a 2000L inlet from the sump.

The sump is 92cm x 32cm x 38 cm. It has a reeftek Ts3 in the first chamber, chaeto and live rock in the second chamber and the return ump in the third chamber.

Total tank volume is around 800L and I would mainly like to make it a lps and softies reef. I'm deffinetley going to update this forum as I get new stuff, but this could take a while:wave2:

15. Sentari

Sentari

Interesting! The rockwork looks great.

Why havent you thought of putting in a DSB?

16. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

The sump was designed for a DSB but it's just to small to be effective so I converted it to a cheato and refugium.

17. zerolicious

zerolicious

Looks Good:thumbup:

18. Atilla

Atilla Sponsor

thanks 4 sharing dude, love your scaping!!:thumbup:

19. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Thanks guys. The polystyrene rock is great I finally can see real coralline algse growing on the rock so it won't take long before the tank looks purple again.

20. Atilla

Atilla Sponsor

can you please explain what that yellow foam glue stuff is that you used to bond the foam together?

was the same stuff used to bond it to the bottom glass?
    check your pm

21. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Just did, pm sent;). It's a yellow foam you buy in a can it goes by many names but it is usually used for waterproofing( I'll go ask the hardware store tomorrow). Just ask the hardware store for foam filler. I used the foam for both sticking the polystyrene together and to the tank. Silicon just doesn't do its job and easily gets loose, if I sticked the polystyrene with silicon then it would have floated like a surfboard!

Recent Posts