my skimmer is not powerful

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by ebs832004, 10 Oct 2012.

1. ebs832004

ebs832004

hi. I need help :( . I have a skimmer. I bought it second hand and havent tested it until tonight. Anyway when i plugged it in (in the bath tub, since my my tank is not ready). Anyway there was not a lot of bubbles like i expected. There are 3 pumps of 2000l an hour but when i plugged it in hardly any bubbles came out. It was like there are 2 airstones instead of pumps. I changed the impellars to the original ones n still nothing. Please help. I probably need a powerful pump or something.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. CJT

CJT

Its because there is no salt in the water put it in salt water and you will probably find it works fine

4. Yuri

Yuri

A skimmer works only with salt water

5. ebs832004

ebs832004 Thread Starter

Lol. Forgive me. Did i mention i am supper new to the hobby. Anyway i still have to buy salt. U think i could use normal salt? Just wanna test it n i promise to rinse it out properly.

6. Keanan

Keanan 2time

Did you use tap water to test it or salt water? If tap water, then it wont work and you wont see any bubbles.
    Run it in salt water and you will see the bubbles and foam that it produces. Or you can add some vineger to the tap water and this will make it start skimming and will also clean the skimmer all together.

7. Albert Terego

Albert Terego

I am sure you'll be able to see bubbles in fresh water.

My suggestion would be first to check that all the pumps are clean, and that the air inlets/pipes are not blocked.

Also how deep was the water in which you tested the skimmer? Deep enough to get bubbles up to the collection cup level?

8. Firefly

Firefly

Could he not use some vinegar instead?

9. ebs832004

ebs832004 Thread Starter

Whooohoooo! Skimmer is working. Can see small tiny bubbles. Put a 750ml vinegar and now wife complaining she has got no salt to cook, wonder why :whistling: however, i blew one pump (rather not ask) lol. Anyway now i need an extra pump :(

10. CJT

CJT

Those pumps go for around R750

11. ebs832004

ebs832004 Thread Starter

Hmmmm.... Whats the alternative solution? Seal the inlet of the skimmer? Do people sell them second hand on masa? Know of anyone? The guy i bought it from said i can put a pump that are 3000lph....any comments, ideas or downfall if i seal the inlet?

12. ebs832004

ebs832004 Thread Starter

Oh and thanks for the help and understanding to one and all

13. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

That is the first TS4 that came out..good skimmers. the newer ones come with 2 x OTP3000 pumps.
    What i did back in the day is that i removed all three otp2000 pumps and replacrd them with Tunze Hydrofoamers,expensive but the best mod i done to that skimmer...
    Alternatively, you can change the pumps to the sicce psk2500 pumps.also awesome pumps...

14. CJT

CJT

I think the Halea pumps will also work and they are cheaper or just run 2 pumps and leave the 3rd one switched off for now

15. ebs832004

ebs832004 Thread Starter

Ok. Thanks for the info. I am kinda looking for the cheapest way out which will be temporary as well until i complete the system and thennstart replacing. Total volume of my tank will be 700ltrs. If i block an inlet as a temporary will that be fine? Or do i have to have all three pumps running? I also have a powerhead which i used in my freshwater tank, it was 2000lph which has a place to put the blue pipe on and can blow bubbles through it. Im planning on modding that powerhead to temporary replace the pump. Good idea or bad?

16. ebs832004

ebs832004 Thread Starter

Thanks. What are the prices on a halea and where do i get one from?

17. CJT

CJT

Well try use it and see if it works or just leave the blown pump in but do not turn that one on for now

18. CJT

CJT

Most pet shops sell them last I heard they were about R450 but I might be wrong

19. CJT

CJT

I had a skimmer something like you have and the one pump broke I just left it and ran it with 2 pumps powered and the broken one I just didnt switch on

20. ebs832004

ebs832004 Thread Starter

Ok i think i am just gonna leave it off for now. Seems to be fine from my bath experiment. Thanks for all the help people.

21. Jinx

Jinx

Hey welcome to Masa. My advise to you would be to replace your skimmer pump in order for you to get the best result out of our skimmer... it does have a big body.

In a marine tank a skimmer is a very important piece of equipment and it is always best to use a decent skimmer which you have, but it needs all the pumps to perform well.

Always refrain from testing equipment in any container or bath where soap was involved because no matter how well you rinse it, you might always have a small trace of soap left on such equipment which is very harmful to your marine system.

Recent Posts