My Skimmer idea... What do you think?

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by Mrabkin, 24 Jul 2010.

1. Mrabkin

Mrabkin

Soooo, After having bought a redsea Prizm skimmer and being very disappointed (despite finding it at next-to-nothing price), I have been pondering on a DIY skimmer design that anyone can build... A few days pondering and i have a rough design i need to run by all you Skimmer guru's out there... Feedback welcomed!! [​IMG] Think it will work??

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

cant see why not.. materials proposed for the build? glass can also be used..

4. Mrabkin

Mrabkin Thread Starter

Glass would work... I still think i'll be Buying a skimmer, but i'm on a mission to design the ultimate DIY skimmer that even a little girl could build.

Glass is easy: You can get it cut to size and drilled almost anywhere...
    Perspex is better for durability and fragility, but more expensive...

I suppose i would have to ultimately build it to see if it does work... but i'd like to toss the idea around other DIY'ers first...

5. PeterL

PeterL

I like the idea, no one ever said a skimmer has to be round.
    It just seems a general consensus in manufacturers that round being easier to make I would assume. The only concerning thought would be the corners, would "dirt" not at some point begin to build up as it is just a given that any corner can and will become a catch point for even the smallest particle to hook onto?

As you said, you will ultimately need to build it to see if it works. At first glance, it show a concept which should work very well. How do you intend on getting the cables and air line to the pumps?

6. lIghty

lIghty

[​IMG]
    I would add some sort of bubble plate, as well as a "vent" on the bubble trap, to allow the air build up to be release.

But IMHO, rather just save some money and buy a decent skimmer, that you know works?

Recent Posts