My shrimps are eating my star

Reaction score
Why would my shrimps start eating my star. He usually hides under a rock but just found him in the front of the tank with a shrimp feasting on his head. He is still moving around but would there be a specific reason why this would happen ?

Why would my shrimps start eating my star. He usually hides under a rock but just found him in the front of the tank with a shrimp feasting on his head. He is still moving around but would there be a specific reason why this would happen ?
What kind of shrimp is it ?

Its just a cleaner shrimp. I have 3 of them.

Brent there maybe something wrong with your star. Cleaners will only start eating other creatures when they close to death or very ill.

if it was a harlequin shrimp, then it's another story

Thats what I thought. How do I find out whats wrong with him and is there any way of saving him ? I have removed him from the tank and put him in my isolation tank.

Thats what I thought. How do I find out whats wrong with him and is there any way of saving him ? I have removed him from the tank and put him in my isolation tank.

Firstly, what seastar is it ?

Do you target feed him ?

What size is he ?

I am not sure exactly. I got him from Liaquat about 8 weeks ago. I have never target fed him as Liaquat said he will find himself food. I will try post a picture.

48248582c120776e.jpg

that star mainly eats detritus
how old is your tank?
feed him shrimp( he will hopefully take it and eat it )

OK, it is a brittle star, it is true you don't have to target feed them, they basically live under the reef, off detritus.

He has either just got sick and has time has come, or he is starving because he can't find enough food.

You can try target feed. Get a piece of whitefish or frozen food and place it next to him, don't touch him, or he won't eat. If he responses to the food then this is a good sign.

Good luck

ditto what warr said

i read that bristle stars can recover totally if the loose 3/4 of their body

Sorry to hijack the Thread. I was always under the impression these types of starfish where carnivorous, eating fish when they sleep. or Am I wrong?

Back
Top Bottom