My setup

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thought I take some time to setup my tank thread.

I've only recently setup the tank, but the information from the people here and the site has helped me a lot.

So here we go, tank details:

200 liter cubicle in wooden cabinet. 600x600x600
Internal and four compartment sump filter with DSB and chaeto.
Red Sea Prism hang-on protein skimmer.
2 x T8 Sylvania 10k tubes + 2 x coralblue tubes (looking to upgrade these).
Small tube light in the sump area.
2 x 1000 liter/hour pumps.
Intermittent switch that runs 2 x wave pumps, most electronics running off small DB.
Four fans in canopy to keep everything cool.
Sump:
28134f42712599def.jpg

Tank:
28134f42715f72a0c.jpg

Internal filter section:
28134f42719a5f2b5.jpg

Fans in canopy:
28134f4271eba4832.jpg

The tank at the moment:
28134f4272260813e.jpg

2 x tank bred Clowns
1 x tomato Clown
1 x green Chromis
1 x Cleaner shrimp
1 x red hermit crab
Some mushrooms
Small frags of Zoas
Two small green star polyps
Current water details:

SG :1.024
kH : 9
NO3 : 5-10
Ca : 440
pH : 8.5
Then also was wondering what this is above the shrooms with the green tips:
28134f42736a5a06c.jpg

Nice dimensions.
Like the black substrate, if I was a fan of substrate I would use it too.
You sure they are T8 globes and not T5? If you upgrade, go for ati globes, you won't be disappointed, but changer them out one at a time, as the change from T8 to T5 can cause light shock. Even if you are currently running T5, advice still stands, as Ati globes put out huge par levels.

I would recommend you plan a skimmer upgrade as your bioload increases.
The unidentified critter looks like a manjano anemone, unfortunately the become pests, and sting other corals.
Which pumps are you running on the on-off timer? Their flow rate?

Overaa quute a neat setup, especially the DB.

What are you doing in terms of top uo?

Please elaborate on the dsb in sump, with regards to composition and depth.

Yes, I plan to add more fish, but am taking the stocking slow, don't want to rush things.

The white tubes say 10000k 18w - t8 and the blue ones are the same size, so I guess they are t8's.
Flow pumps are JVP-101 at 3000l/hr each.
The DSB is also aragolite as in the display about 5cm with a clump of chaeto.
Top ups are done daily with RO from the local FS. Am looking to get an ATU but space is limited, so some brainstorming will be needed still.

Sump is 610L x 310w x 390H with the DSB in the middle chamber.

Lighting I was looking at perhaps the Odyssea Quad T5 24W and am also investigating the LED route in the long run.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sounds like T8 globes. Definitely recommend you change them. The odyssea is a good starter option, but would limit you to mostly softies and lps, which should b fine until the stick bug grabs you.

I would not recommend you keep the jvp sun sun pumps on a timer, they won't last.

Regarding your dsb: Way too shallow, especially for the grain size employed. Invest in some sugar fine aragonite and correct this asap, as you will have nitrate problems developing. Dsb should be at least 12cm deep.

Top up is a must, as it ensures stability. Even if you have to do it manually, ensure its done, but automated and continuous
Is best.

If at all possible, try and get sum flow behind those rocks to prevent detritus settling.

You will need reflectors, can get this from Oceanson, 2 x double electronic ballasts, saw some there too, but suspect it was 54watt "ballasts." Try the electrical wholesalesrs or Sams might have. You'll also need endcaps, waterproof is best, but a bit expensive, but really worth it as salt, water and electricity don't mix well. A cheap alternative is coonector blocks, but watch for salt creep and corrosiin.

Update:

Got the DSB level increased to 12cm.

Replaced the lights with the Odyssea quad T5 24w.

JVP pumps taken off timer and set to run all the time.

Flow behind rocks increased as well. No detriment settling there.

Added filter wool to the sump to clear the water a bit more as well, which I will be replacing on a regular basis.

Got rid of the Majano as well.

Now I suppose: just wait and stock slowly?

Last edited:
Nice looking tank :)

How did that HOB skimmer work for you? Read some bad things...im currently looking around for a HOB skimmer for my Juwel Lido 120.

reeftek have a auto top up which retails for around R600.. You can also use play sand for the DSB, cheap as chips

The DSB has got a mix of aragolite and playsand in. I'll look around for the ATU then thanks.
I posted this on another Thread while looking for ATU...

Update:

Since I last updated this post this is what has happend.
Bought a RO Unit and Aqua medic salt
Added a carbon reactor.
Built an auto topup with reservoir.

Added:
zenia frag
Blue finned angel
Scopas tang
yellow tailed tamarin wrasse
Started dosing Special Blend

My DIY LED lights kit arrived today from Hong Kong:
Kit includes:
1 x Heatsink 12cm x 40cm
24 x 3 watts Bridgelux LED (12 x White 10000K, 10 x Royal Blue 452-455nm, 2 x UV)
24 optics (12 x 60 degree + 12 x 80 degree)
2 x constant current dimmable LED driver (100V-240V)
2 x potentiometer (control dimming)
2 x heatsink plaster
1 meter wire
4 x wire connector
2 x power cord
1 x fans
1 x DC12V fans driver

Hopefully start to assemble tonight. Think it's time to take some pics again. Will keep you guys updated.

Update

Hi guys,

Thought I'd post an update on my tank progress.

Had a nasty spell of WS that left the tank a lot "lighter"

Unfortunately while I was away, the person looking after the tank didn't think to mention there was a problem with the tank sigh. So, only the 3 chromis and the bicolor blenny survived from the fish.

I added quite a bit of LR and redid the scaping. Added some SPS frags and changed the odyssey light to a 24 x 3w Bridgelux DIY light unit (white and blue mix).

Before rescaping:

28134fe2e42105554.jpg

After scaping:

28134fe2e4b7903ab.jpg

Side:

28134fe2e4b796d00.jpg

Some randoms:

28134fe2e50b0513e.jpg

28134fe2e53e1d225.jpg

28134fe2e5834f9e6.jpg

28134fe2e5b2990a6.jpg

28134fe2e5ef4ed93.jpg

28134fe2e64ca6e19.jpg

Anyone know what the pink ear-like things are on the rock below. They just started growing:
28134fe2e6a05c6e6.jpg

Been dosing Special blend and the Red sea NO3 : PO4 too as the nitrates are at 10 at the moment. Other than that, all the parameters are in check.

Last edited:
The pink ear-like things might be plating coralline algae. AFAIK good growth. But I may stand corrected

Back
Top Bottom