My second setup...Idea help please

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Dikdaan, 22 May 2010.

1. Dikdaan

Dikdaan

Hi all, its been 9 months since i started my first tank...That tank is going gr8 and everything is healthy and full of life!!!

But as this hobby has a bug that can bite you...It bit me and I'm setting up the second tank!!!Whoohoo!!! The marine bug has taken control...

The tank is 75% setup...Need the plumbing to be connected and to fill it up... This will all happen on Saturday. The tank is a bit bigger than my first setup and the sump is 1.5 times bigger...

Tank dimensions: (lwh) 1220 X 450 X 470 with a C2C overflow
    Sump dimensions: (lwh) 1200 X 300 X 410 with inlet chamber, dsb, Lr
    chamber and return chamber...
    Stand is 1m high and is built out of 50X50 square tube...

Now the questions that I have is as follow:
    Please bear in mind that I want to setup this tank for my clowns and maybe make it into a finding nemo theme...

Lighting requirements? I was thinking 4 x T5's and when finances allow 1 X
    250w MH...
    Flow?
    Ideas for scaping...?
    Corals/nennies, tankmates etc?

The idea is to make it a finding nemo theme with scaping from the left to the middle of the tank and the idea is to have i looking like the big drop in the beginning of the movie where nemo is with his dad at their nennie...

Any and all comments and advice is welcome [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Annoying

Annoying

Great, another one has taken the bug:lol:. Ok so the mane theme is finding nemo-drop of. Ok the best to give the drop off feeling will be to let the one half of the tank have rock but the other half only has a few randomly placed rocks. The best to create the very steep feeling will be to take base rock and silicon it to your licking. Then in the main tank re-seed it with live rock.

Flow will be very important because of the nennie. It shouldn't be open pumps for the reason that the nennie can wonder and turn into sushi. The lighting will be great but if you decide to make the reef only on the one side then the mh will have to be on that side giving the that feeling of one side dark the other light(not very nice:().

Try thinking of bubble nennies as they are the asiest to keep imo. Just remember your tank has to be a minimum of 9 months old to keep a nennie. You would want the nennie to be the primary atraction of the tank so the other corals shouldn't look like it. I would sugest more zoa's and star polyps and that tipe of corals, and muchrooms.

4. Dikdaan

Dikdaan Thread Starter

Thx for the advice, I was thinking to put the MH on the one side and a blue light on the right of the tank... I know the tank needs to be round bout 9 months before i can add the nennie. Will a bare bottom work better to give a better drop effect or what substrate would you advice me using?

Secondly, will the nennie damage the Zoa's and star polyps if he moves over them?

5. Annoying

Annoying

A bare bottom will most propably give the best far away look,but then the rocks at the base of the rock mount will have to be as compact as possible or else it will throw away the reefs edge feeling. Zoa's and star polyps grows like grass a few stings of the nennie can maybe kill a few polyps but will most likely not kill the entire coral.

6. Dikdaan

Dikdaan Thread Starter

Sounds good to me to make it a bare bottom...Whats the disadvantages of this? I would like to make the 'Cliff' as compact as possible, but with space in the middle so that fish etc can go through and so forth. Will this also be fine?

7. Dikdaan

Dikdaan Thread Starter

Here's a pic out of the movie... Have a look at the scaping in the middle back of the picture, i would like to do something similar to it...

[​IMG]

8. Dikdaan

Dikdaan Thread Starter

[​IMG]

9. Annoying

Annoying

The scaping would look awesome like that! The primary problem with bare botto is that it limits the space for the small creatures(copepods,worms,etc) to live and breed. It also doesn't give the natural feeling but in your tank, it's exactly what you want! You can increase the small creatures breeding ground by having a DSB and some cheato. Bare bottom also has a great advantage of nowing where the detritus settles making it able for you to just suck it up.

10. Dikdaan

Dikdaan Thread Starter

I will have a DSB with cheato!!! The only thing with the scaping is to get it like that... Bur i will try to get it close to that with my own personal touch... To suck up the debris will be a lot easier with BB i must agree!!! Can the hermits survive without substrate?

11. Annoying

Annoying

Shouldn't be a problem for the hermits. These guys are very hardy.

12. Dikdaan

Dikdaan Thread Starter

ok, so no problem there then...Does anyone know where i can find flat pieces of LR or Bio rock?

BTW didnt get to the plumbing over the weekend...Still need to do it

Recent Posts