My scrubber, "durso" and silencer, all in one

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by RiaanP, 17 Nov 2008.

1. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Ok, my solution and concept of a scrubber.
    I used the overflow box in my tank. My problem with the Durso is that crap collects in the stagnant water at the bottom. But without the standpipe you have a waterfall.

I used the waterflow as my scrubber area. With my silencer at the bottom to prevent soften the noise. With my own very cheap Durso contraption that doubles up as the light stand.

View from top, with light removed.
    [​IMG]

Water down the scrubber, onto the silencer ander the "Durso"

[​IMG]
    Yes, durso is the bottom part of a 2L plastic Coke bottle, complete with breather pipe and small triangular cuts made into the "bottom". The silencer is a piece of netting, as used on gas cylinder. Rolled up and wedged in between the plastic bottle and the scrubber material. It has 2cm holes and can not block crap.
    [​IMG]
    The light unit I use. It stand on top of the plastic bottle and at the top it is secured with a piece of wire to the back of the tank. So the light is less that 5 cm from the screen. It got a 10000K daylight and blue actinic side by side globe in there. Fit for a nano tank.
    [​IMG]
    My growth. Top to bottom. Well the last part is the part behind the silencer.
    [​IMG]
    Dinner for two? At the left is a piece of the 80% shade net cloth that I used for the screen.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi Riaan,

Have you seen a reduction in the algae growth in your DT???

Are you cleaning your glass less?

How mny days growth is that in your hand?

4. Mtroboer

Mtroboer

Cool, how's your algae coming? I also used 80% shading and after day 1 I'm already seeing some algae starting to grow! Like your idea with the Coke bottle, just shows Coke is not just great for a drink!:lol:

5. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

Very cool, it certainly looks like its working.

6. Mtroboer

Mtroboer

How big is your overflow Riaan?

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

Yes Niel,
    this is 3 weeks. but I only replaced the globe 1 week ago. Growth was a lot better in the last week.
    Alge in the tank is only some on the back glass. Standing still and dying off.
    Expecting a lot more action for this week.
    Overflow size: 20cm wide, 13 cm deep and height of tank, 60cm
    So the shadenet is 20 cm wide by 55 cm.

8. Mtroboer

Mtroboer

Cool keep us updated please, I have a algae farm not far from what Viper had so I will see how it goes with mine!

9. RiaanP

Action Photo's
    From Top
    [​IMG]

From Side
    [​IMG]

Can see here that the water level inside the overflow is constant at 5cm.
    The shadecloth is tied with 3 cable ties to a flat piece of plastic, I used ducting channel lid part, that is exactly the width of the overflow. Pushed in and just below the overflow level. Some water do run down the back, but that is no problem.
    [​IMG]

Nice blue light...

10. shiks

shiks

very very clever...well done man...:thumbup: is that a Coke Zero nitrates Bottle?

11. Falcon

Falcon

just make sure your overflow doesnt blockor have any possible way to do so and cause the water to immerse that light unit or you'll short out your entire tank and possibly get a nasty shock!!!!

12. RiaanP

Yes Falcon. Thats my only problem / issue. I had the light outside at the back, but then it is to far away, and it heats the back glass in the corner, That is tempting a cracked tank.
    What I need to do is to put the light in a persplex box. That is the next mod, then this will be safe.
    Anyway the coke bottle got triangles cut right around. The water level stays a constant 5cm. So far, flooding the overflow is not a problem.

13. Falcon

Falcon

fingers crossed lol

14. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Very nice idea Riaan - it works well. Ja, my only concern would also be water + electricity = :hang:

Other than that, well done ;)

15. RiaanP

Yes, but you guys should have seen my first lightning attempt in the overflow box. Two energy saving globes, one below the other. Now that was tempting the water and electricity combo. But after two days, my common sense took over, and I took that out.
    The light unit does not get any water on it. Else I would have done something to improve it.
    But my next upgrade will be a persplex box, wherein the light unit will fit. Then I will be totall satisfied.

Last edited: 18 Nov 2008
  16. Falcon

Falcon

good idea riaan

17. RiaanP

3 days after the screen was cleaned, and it is covered again totally covered from the top to bottom. Seems that after first loooonnnggg wait for anything to happen, then things pick up speed and your patience are rewarded. I expect another 2 or 3 weeks before I will notice the difference on by back glass. Must take a photo tomorrow for a comparison in 3 weeks time.

18. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

@RiaanP ..Do you still have the pic's of this AS...I want to also use the overflow, space is my problem..but haven't found anyone else doing it...so I'm lost as to how I can construct it logically...not sure how it will end up, but want the AS behind the DT...

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  19. RiaanP

This tank has been sold many moons ago.

Yes it worked, but yes it was not ideal.

Getting the screen in and out was a mission, in the back corner of the tank.

But what I realized later was the light was heating up the rear pane in the overflow. That corner, the glass was a bit hotter than the rest of the tank, and not being in contact with water to cool it down. I did not like that and really doubt that it will be OK for winter. (Tank stood in my enclosed Lapa but was not wind proof)

I ended up redoing it in the open space above the DSB.

20. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

For one or other reason I can't see the pic's...was very interested in the visual aspect of the AS...was thinking of the "heat" factor on the glass pane, but surely now with LED's being the "popular" method of "lighting"...the "heat" factor wouldn't be so much of an issue..?

21. RiaanP

LEDs still generate heat, but not in radiant heat. They still have heat sinks and are 100% dependable in good air flow around the heat sinks to be effective. Else you reduce their life span and light output characteristics completely.

And in a closed space as in the overflow, no, it will also overheat.

Recent Posts