My Queen Angel

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Kunhardt, 29 Apr 2011.

1. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

I posted this in my tank thread, but thought I would start a new thread of its own.

I took the plunge and bought a Queen Angel this afternoon from the US shipment that came in last night. 2 very healthy looking specimens came in...one small juvinile and one larger one...I went for the larger as it seemed more relaxed was pecking at rocks and glass for food and was not shy at all of people.

First placed him in the DT, but he got a bit of flack from the Flame Angel and Coral Beauty... didnt think that would happen as its not a Dwarf? So for now he is in the sump and seems calm and relaxed. There is lots of sponges etc down there that he is already pecking at so I am sure that helps as well. Added a rock with some Nori on it and he immidiately went and checked it out...not pecking at it so far though.

Not too worried about him eating just yet, new fish need time to settle down after being shipped imo so will see how he goes in the next few days.

Now I am not sure what to do...do I leave him in there for a good couple of days let him settle in and get his strength back or place him in the DT tonight after lights out?

Reason I am thinking the second option is because my Black Bean was beaten pretty badly when first introduced, but on seeing this I turned off the tank lights and left them so until the following day, the next day it was as if he had been in the tank for years and nobody even gave him a second glance. Would this be the case maybe with the Queen?

Also any other info from guys that have kept them that can help me keep happy and healthy and get it on the eating path in the future, as I have read they can be problematic to get to take prepared foods some times.

Anyway...here are some pics...

[​IMG]
    In the DT

[​IMG]
    Flame sizing him up. :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the sump over my DSB.

Last edited by a moderator: 1 May 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Seabass

Seabass

Nice one Mark. Can't see the pics. Might be because of phone.

4. COMMANDO

COMMANDO

Beauty!

5. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

YAY! He is eating the Nori!! Its soaked in some garlic and vitimins so thats a bonus to his continued health! :thumbup:

6. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Pierre I think it must be your phone not loading them, cause they are showing up on my side.

7. Adee

Adee

Nice "catch" Mark. Some day I hope I will have the balls to put a real angel into my tank.

8. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Do it Adrian. I think one or 2 large angels would look amazing in your tank. I dont think the Queen would be a problem for you at all with mainly SPS in your system...dont recall seeing many LPS in there except your torch. A Regal Angel or a Navarchus could also be added without any fear of doing any damage and if you follow Meks a French would be ok in an SPS tank...as you can see there are quite a few options, you just have to jump in and try one. ;)

9. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

Adrian has a huge bubble that will get nom nom nomed.... If he added an angel

10. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

awesome fish man, u are very brave to add fish straight in without any QT.

11. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Ya tell me about it...I thought about the QT in my garage then I thought about a finicky fish sitting in a sterile glass box for a month feeling even more stressed out and risked it. Hope all goes well. :blush:

12. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

nice purchase markie..

13. magman

magman

nice fish, I would of recomended qt them first, they usually carry lots of lymph too till they settled, yours is still a baby. I have had mine now for about 8 months, tthe ocean nutrition formula 2 pellets, and also formula 1, and mysis. Last week I was feeding nori, and my queen went to the nori clip on the one end, and just harrassed the tangs when they tried to come near, it was a good laugh to watch, she never eats it, just loves to give the tangs a hard time. I found they love the pellets, and you feed them heavy, and they will stay off the corals, I got shrooms, zoas, lps, softies, a complete mixed reef in my tank, they only ever once smashed a coral, and that was when I could not feed for a few days, and when I first introduced them. Just feed them heavy.

imo one of the two most beautiful angels along with an emp.

[​IMG]ry

14. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

thanks, I have been holding out for a big angel for a while...it was between this one and the Navarchus in the pond, but I couldnt resist...even though the Navarchus was probably a safer bet. Its eating a inquisitive so thats a positive. :)

Thanks Magman...some useful info there. Ya definately a beautiful fish, hope it settles in and stays with me for a long time. Dont mind loosing a coral or 2 for this guy. :)

15. magman

magman

;).....that was my philosophy, but imo only a hungry angel pecks on corals, have you got any gsp or xenia, I have a feeling though they maybe in a lot more danger that any other softies or corals. I would be very interested to know.

16. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

i have lots...would be nice to have a natural pruner for them :lol:

17. magman

magman

something else I forgot, that may work, is rub some angel mix into a groove on the lr, my angels don't eat the angel mix, I have tried slicing it up into pellet size piecies, they still don't eat it, but it may be worth a try as it is supposed to be the best. Even better imo is take the ON formula 2 pellets, and formula 1 maybe, soak them soft to a paste, then put them in a groove in the lr and freeze the lr for about 4 hours. then put the lr in for it to feed on.

18. colbar

colbar

Wow, what a magnificient fish. Really beautiful. Lots of luck and enjoy.

19. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

20. maj

maj

stunner of note this fish!!
    keep us updated with its eating habits

21. keyaam

keyaam

The best comment on MASA ever

Recent Posts