My purple bubble tip sebae heteractis malu/crispa nemmie!!

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by Mrabkin, 26 Apr 2011.

1. Mrabkin

Mrabkin

Hey folks,

I ordered a purple bubble tip nammie for my tomato clown last week, and this little guy arrived...

[​IMG]

I did a lot of researchbefore buying, and know all about caring for a BTA, the problem is i am no expert but pretty sure this is H. Malu, or Sebae anemone, not a BTA.

I introduced him a few days ago, and struggled to place him in an appropriate spot, he kept falling on his head, floating around and landing up in caves and crevaces out of the light... which im pretty sure he needs to survive.

My question is; does this nemmie need a rock or sand to plant himself in, i have him in this spot, but havt to turn my 5500l/h powerhead off to keep him here, and he does not seem to "put his roots down anywhere". does this mean he is generally not happy with something, and is therefore trying to wait for currents to move him, or is this just how this species operates?

My tomato clown has no idea what this new thing is, and has no idea what to do with it!! he stilljust chases his reflection around all day!!

back to the nemmie... water params are all within good readings, possibly sal is a bit low at .022/.023... should i raise it?

Lighting is 4 x 70w MH (14 and 20k) 1 x T5 acintic and diy, LED suppliments (blue).

Any advise or info on this species (if it is in fact H.Malu) is much appreciated

regards,

Mike, the lonely clown and confused nemmie!

A close-up of nennie: after toilet time:blush:[​IMG] :
    Just because he was unplanned, it doesnt mean i love him any less!!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. SIMS

SIMS

I am no expert but that does not look like a BTA at all

4. Annoying

Annoying

It's just a crispa not a bubble tip.

5. robvdv

robvdv

+1. It's a bleached H. crispa. They "make" them by keeping them in the dark until they expel their Zooxanthellae.

I have a healthy grey/brown one with purple tips. Keep feeding it and it'll recover soon.

6. Mrabkin

Mrabkin Thread Starter

Thx Rob, he is the most spectacular beige, green color... not as white as the pic makes out, but either way, thx.

What about placement? Substrate? Rocks?

7. Annoying

Annoying

The nennie us like Rob said, bleached. Kind of bad, it should be brownish with the purple tips. If it's not sticking, it's to weak and not happy. First try to give it a shaded area to stick, the intensity if the mh is causing it to burn, from it's shortage of algae. Put it under the ledge where it can get indirect light, but not complete darkness. Make sure all pumps have been nennie-proofed and then make sure it's in a low flow area, so that it can stick and stay there. Then you will have to start feeding it daily with high protein food like muscles and shrimps(not brine). These pieces should be very small, compared to what normally would have been given. About 1/8 of the mouth size. Also try dosing iodide in the water to help with the recovery process(remember to switch of the skimmer at this point). The feeding will take long and you will have to gently put the food as close the mouth as possible. Keep all fish away until the food has disappeared in it's mouth. Keep a close eye on the nennie, as it can regurgitate the food after a few hours, if this happens, feed even smaller pieces. You can try brine shrimp if really nothing helps. Feed id daily, when it starts feeding faster and the tentacles start to get stickier then, start feeding bigger pieces. When color starts coming back, the nennie will start going into the light. If the nennie is almost brown again, feed 1/4 of mouthsize food every second to third day. After the nennie is sticky, and brown again only feed 2 a week. Hope this helps, good luck:thumbup:

8. Mrabkin

Mrabkin Thread Starter

good one, thx!! will do so.

9. Anemone

Anemone

The anemone is an H. crispa….a bleached one.

Your salinity is much too low. Slowly bring it up to 1.026.

What are the dimensions of your tank, the 4 x 70W MH may not be enough lighting for long term.

What are you feeding the anemone, how often, and what size portions?

The H. crispa has been known to choose sandy substrate and/or live rock to attach itself. They are often found with foot buried in the substrate under a rock ledge, with disc outside of the ledge to access light.

10. Mrabkin

Mrabkin Thread Starter

Check on bringing up salinity!

Tank in 900l x 45 w x 600h. Not a huge system at all around 300litres.

I fed him only once so far (he has only been with me for 4 days). It was human-consumption shrimp; a piece around the size of of the eraser on the back of the pencil... he did not regurgitate it, so i assume this is correct. feeding day tomorrow again.

What is your take on placing him in a lower-light area until his color changes brown?

11. Anemone

Anemone

As long as the shrimp is raw, it is ok. If you can, get some silversides.

With your tank height, 70W MH is not going to penetrate the water well enough to give sufficient lighting for this anemone.

As far as moving the anemone...this will just stress it out more. It will move where it wants to, and use up energy doing so.

What lighting was the anemone under before you got it? What was the height of the tank?

12. Mrabkin

Mrabkin Thread Starter

Unfortunately I live in the middle of nowhere, so I have to get my stock sent to me. I will contact the shop and get more info on its past setup. I asked them to send me a BTA, so this is an unexpected surise. I will be doing all in my power to resurrect him though.

Actual water depth is around 50cm, I have a DSB in my display too.

I will find out more info tomorrow and post.

Never give up!!

13. robvdv

robvdv

Knysna? Feed it a seahorse ;)

14. Anemone

Anemone

Not so much! I also happen to know some very good seahorse police! ;)

15. Anemone

Anemone

Shipping may be this anemone's problem. They don't do well with shipping. How long was it in the bag? I would contact them and let them know that they sent you an H. Crispa and not a BTA, and that the H. Crispa has bleached. IMO you should get your money back. They may however want you to ship the anemone back to them, which in my opinion could be a death sentence for the anemone.

70W MH isn't going to be sufficint with a height of 50cm long term. However, for now don't change the lighting. Since the anemone has expelled its zooxanthellae, it won't be able to handle higher lighting. It will need to adjust over time.

16. Mrabkin

Mrabkin Thread Starter

So i was lucky to have somebody coming my way, so nemmie spent only around 8hrs in the bag.

I gave them a call, and was not surprised to hear the usual response "but its been here for so long, and was doing so well..." then she tried " but that is a bubble anemone and they meant to look like that"!!

little does she know i am no fool cos i got MASA connections.... Brah!!

so i have decided to boycot this particular SPONSOR and go on a mission to revive this little nennie.

as for the nennie update: he has attached nicely under the rock, into the sand and ate a good meal today! also seen a few tentacles have nice brown tinge coming up, so looking hopeful!!

17. Anemone

Anemone

Wrong on both counts!

18. Mrabkin

Mrabkin Thread Starter

I really find it sad that the greed for money outweighs the responsibility of sustainability... as i said, i will not be buying from this sponsor again.

My only mission now is survivial of the nennie...

A shot of the hopeful brown creeing up the tentacles!!!
    [​IMG]

19. Anemone

Anemone

Looking good! Expect it to take months to fully recover!

Perhaps the sponsor just needs to be educated a bit.

20. Mrabkin

Mrabkin Thread Starter

Thx Brenda, your help is priceless!!

21. Pieter kruger

Pieter kruger

purple tip

Hi, I have the same one in my tank. also bleached. I have t5 lighting an it moved in under a rock, what kind of clown fish will live in this guy? I have 2 small clowns and they were captive bred. They don't go near it. If I feed it silversides and marine snow, will that be fine?

Last edited: 28 Apr 2011
Recent Posts