My plans

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by spillay, 26 Oct 2013.

1. spillay

spillay

Hi All,

So I have decided to start in this hobby and just placed an order on the fantastic cube tank from Jungle Aquatic's, thanks to Dwayne and Bryan. Just so you know I live 7000 km's away from South Africa at the moment but I am returning back home after 8.5 years of being way on a Long Term Assignment :) Cant wait.

The tank is for my sons bedroom as a XMAS gift to him but there are so many options in terms of electronics for someone who is starting out that it makes it mind boggling on what I should go for.

I have been sending emails to a few sponsors from this website and it has been excellent feedback and advice on all the different options that one has. I was thinking of getting a tank for my dad a few months ago but he is 65 and this takes too much time but as I am heading back home, I am keen to have my own reef system soon :)

I didn't know what a great forum existed in South Africa with so much knowledge and information and I have actually been spending hours and hours just reading the advice and information contained on this site. I feel like I am an expert, example is that I though I could put a couple clown fish with an anon me, but now I see that you need to have a mature tank to do this. It would have been irresponsible and foolish if I did this by myself.

Yes I have been to forums outside of SA but it always feels good to be close to home :)

This is a brilliant site, I also a hobbyist in High End Audio at AV Forums and also a serious angler at sealine. I love my high end sound and fishing :)

It is great that we in SA have great forums to share knowledge and information.

Well done to MASA, I am sure I will posting pictures of my tank in months to come. I have 3 more months until I am back home :)

Last edited: 26 Oct 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

hay man :welcometomasa2: to MASA

just like you I also started this hobby by reading forums and learning from my mistakes.. there is so much knowledge here on MASA and everyone is willing to share which is the best part.

what equipment are you thinking of going for? do you have any idea about the filtration?

4. seank

seank

Welcome to our Forum... Glad you found it.

5. spillay

spillay Thread Starter

The plan at the moment is to go for a Bubble Magus Curve5 or 7 Skimmer, LED lighting from Maxspect, the Razor unit. For power-heads I am leaning towards 2 Vortech MP10's but I am not ruling out Tunze equipment,I own many Marklin Model trains to date and I have no doubt about the quality that comes out of Germany companies, top-up system unit for sure from Tunze.

The sump section of the tank looks good enough to manage the filtration aspect.s Return pumps and RO units seem to be an endless amount of possibilities so I will decide this in the next month or get some advice from the different sponsors.

Plan is to have all hardware in place before I even think of starting the system, this includes power backup. I have a few months in hand before my return to SA and therefore allows me the opportunity to make sure I do it right the first time around without rushing, lets hope it goes that way and I don't get too excited:)

This is as I mentioned is for my son's room, so he will be doing all the hard-work :) I also feel that hobby is great to teach our kids responsibility and not to mention the science and chemistry value that they can learn, I Pad's/PlayStation's is waste of money in my opinion and rather get them involved in understanding the beauties of nature and caring for it.

Thanks

Last edited: 27 Oct 2013
  6. shan

shan

Welcome dude. Good to have you here and extremely good to see you doing things slowly and correctly.

Enjoy masa and this fantastic hobby. Btw, my daughters love the chemistry part of it

7. spillay

spillay Thread Starter

Hi All,

So here is the update, I have already ordered some of the hardware for my tank.

1. Reef Octopus DCS 150 Skimmer (Fully controllable)
    2. Reef Octopus DC 5500 Pump (Fully Controllable)
    3. Eco-tech Radeon LED Lights.
    4. Vortech MP10 ES w.

Pretty expensive but I as I said I am want to do it right.

Next Order for Nov is

1. Second Vortech MP10 ES w.
    2. Eco-Tech Radeon LED (Second Unit)
    3. GFO reactor (Not sure as yet which make/brand)

In terms of rock, I will go dead rock 100%, Real Reef Rock with some Marco Rock if available. I don't want any funny/weird critters and rather let the tank build its system on this.

Tank will be built by Idol Marine. Size to be 1.2 X 600 X 30, looking for a shallow reef set-up, minimalistic. Tank discussion's to happen next week when I come to SA for a meeting.

@ Idol Marine, thanks again for all the advice, @Adriaan especially for time taken to respond to my queries thus far and giving your advice.

Pictures to follow in months to come and I am learning more and more everyday from this forums. Well done again.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. spillay

spillay Thread Starter

Just got these yesterday, tank is now confirmed to be 1.2 x 600 x 45 starphire, custom built by Idol Marine, pellet reactor + second MP10 and Radion unit to be added.

More to follow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Blue Reefer

Blue Reefer MASA Contributor

Tagging.

10. barry

barry

Hi and welcome!

Cant wait to see this one....! will also be tagging along.

11. erratiC

erratiC

Hey!

:welcometomasa:

Looking forward to tagging along..

12. spillay

spillay Thread Starter

Hi All,

Unfortunately we have just gotten a huge contract up here and I am stuck for another 6-8 months. So my 8.5 years is now going to be extended.

Everything is still as planned in terms of tank and set-up but now will be delayed:(

At least I have made the start before the rand falls through the roof :)

Will still update as and when I can.

Recent Posts