My Peters' Elephant Nose is swimming upside down

Discussion in 'Fresh Water Tanks Discussion' started by hartz, 21 Mar 2008.

1. hartz

hartz

Hi,

My Peters Elephant Nose (Gnathonemus petersii) appears to be sick. It used to be quite happy, but today it started to get stuck in the plants, almost appearing to be dead until I scoop it out of the water. It then starts to thrash and when it gets back into the water, it just starts to swim in loops until it gets tangled again.

Any idea what is wrong with it?

Thanx,
    _hartz

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Any news here?

Is the tank temp stable, also any other knifefish or elephant noses?

Any recent changes in your set up?

4. Sabi

Sabi

Hi there.

With a bit more info on your setup we should be able to help you.
    What other fish have you got with him? What are your water readings, (nitrite, nitrate ammonia) How big is your tank? Is he eating?
    That kinda sound like internal infection or water quality to me...

5. djmurray

djmurray Email me about anything

sounds very much like swimers bladder... does he float to the top of the tank at any time or roll over whenhe tries to swim?

6. Obi-Wan

Obi-Wan

Had a chat, established problem

Hi, and thanks

hartz (johan) made contact with me.

i was able to pinpoint source of dilemma, he's well on the road to a healthier tank.

He needed emergency assistance ,AT the time!
    I pointed out his way forward.

Nice to know, that he did a websearch for the MOST ACTIVE aquarium fish related forums ... and landed at MASA.

NOWAY, I coulda let the man down, FW or NOT !!

Maybe he'll drop by again ?

Last edited: 24 Mar 2008
  7. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Nice to know :thumbup:

Now you need to convert him to marines :p

8. Sabi

Sabi

Thats good!

9. hartz

hartz Thread Starter

Nose died

Hi all,

Thanx for the assistance.

The problem is water quality. I did not do my regular weekly water change for about a month and with the power failures, my filter apparently starts to give off toxins because the algae growing in there starts to die.

Also I've been using Ph-Down to treat the water, and apparently I should rather fix Clorine and heavy metel levels, and then check my water.

I've bought a dechlorination potion from my local shop (and done a 10% water change on the weekend. I'll do a few more of those every 4 days.

Another problem is apparently my sediment - it appears that the Peter's Nose doesn't like gravel. Obi-wan directed me to get fine glass beads.

Besides all of these, I also apparently have an over-populated tank. This I disagree about. I have one Butterfly fish - 9cm, (had one Peter's nose - 12cm), have one spotted sailfin (tiger) pleco (15 cm), and 4 dwarf gouramis (about 6 cm each). All of this in a 90cm tank (filled currently to about 75 liters).

However, the Pleco ate my five Neon Tetras! (4 cm each). The Pleco is the newest addition to the tank, and ever since the tetras have been disappearing. This seems to have left behind an amount of dirt in the bottom of the tank as well.

A few questions: I have an "Amonia Alert" warning disc stuck on the inside of the tank. It always indicates "safe". Can I trust this thing? Is there a way I can test it?

What should I use to test hardness and Nitrate levels?

I now need a new second filter because Obi-wan warned me that my existing filter is insufficient. Where/what should I buy? Obi-wan said I need one of the bubble types in addition to my existing sponge-pump filter. My biggest concern with this is the noise from the air-pump. I really need the tank to not make any more noise than what it makes at present.

I'm new to Aquariums and fish, and right now I enjoy the freshwater fish. I expect the marine fish to be harder to keep, demand more attention and be more expensive. Each one of these currently prevent me from keeping a marine tank. But maybe one day I'll have more money, time and diligence. :)

Thanx for your assistance!
    _hartz

10. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Hey Hartz, sorry to hear.

Yes that does sound overstocked for a 75L, a little Aquaclear HOB filter is always a nice option, they work very well and are very quiet(provided your water level is correct)

Test for Nitrates and Nitrites, youll find your nitrites should be zero if nitrates are low/zero

Nice going Obi_wan, always the gentleman, well done:thumbup:

11. Galibore

Galibore Retired Moderator

Sorry to hear about your lost Hartz.

I highly doubt your pleco killed your neons. It might have eaten them after they passed. Plecos enjoy the odd meaty snack but have never heard of them actually hunting and killing other (non-cat-)fish.

12. Sabi

Sabi

Hi Hartz

Sorry abt the elephant nose. Thats sad, they are interesting creatures.

It's my bet that the butterfly is the one responsible for the missing neons. They are predators and likely to eat smaller fish. You can read more about them here:

African Butterfly fish
    Butterfly fish2
    Hope you on the way to a healthy tank, goodluck.

13. hartz

hartz Thread Starter

A few months ago I discovered for the first time since I got my tank about 2 years ago that the fish sleep, on the ground / sediment (mostly the guppies and tetras, I've also had some balloon mollies that did this).

They look very vulnerable when asleep, like right ready easy prey for a big pleco!

Recent Posts