My P650...Hopefully my last...

So today is not a good day for me. Emotionally I am sad,pissed off and can kick myself in the balls.

Two weeks ago I purchased a healthy Regal Angel. It was an inpulsive transaction.3 days later he showed signs of white spot. I managed to catch him and qt him. About 4 days ago my Gem tang showed spots,1 day after my Sohal also showed spots. I managed to catch the Gem and dip him. 2 days later he was worse. Dipped him again with the Sohal tang.

I flew back to Zambia yesterday hoping that they would pull through since they were very healthy fish from the beginning. Unfortunately my wife gave me the bad news this morning that both my fish moved on.

I am sad for the loss of both. 2 fish I loved since I got them. The Gem was a baby when I first got him. He grew up before my eyes. Pissed at myself for buying a fish from a lfs I have no history of. Can kick myself in the balls for being responsible for the deaths of these 2 beautiful creatures because of stupidity.

Always know your lfs and always try to qt to some extend. I feel ashamed of what I have done to these 2 fish.

My system was always healthy and I took pride in that. My water chemistry has always been great.

I feel defeated in a way to just give up and shutdown.

But then the life of these 2 fish would have been for nothing.

Oh no, so sorry to hear. QT is non-negotiable unfortunately, even if you know the lfs. Their deaths won’t be in vain if you learned at least that from this setback. You can maybe look at running ozone and/or 10 micron filter socks. If it was white spot, the 10 micron filter socks should filter out some of the free swimming stage parasites and reduce parasite numbers enough so the fish’s immune system can handle the load. The ozone will kill any parasites it comes in contact with and also improve oxygen holding capacity in water, so fish are less likely to suffocate due to parasites in their gills.

Eish that sucs. If its any consolation I have wiped my fish out exactly like that twice in the last 5 years. I have learned in this game it's either QT or serious UV and 10 micron filter socks. The later options is Whitespot management not eradication.

If I were to set up again everything would go into QT. Only real long term solution - cheaper also if you consider 55 watts of UV to 250 litres of water, plus globe changes and additional heating problems.

Sorry for the loss.

So after alot of thinking I thought it best to rather shut down my system for now. The stress of keeping paramaters in place, creates friction between myself and my wife. My good wife who has looked after this system so good she knows the ins and outs. But for her it is a chore and for me a hobby. While I work out of the country for long periods at a time, I made the descision to shut down for now. I am still in 2 minds though,to keep everything,sell only the tank or sell everything. I guess it will take a while to make up my mind, but I hope to have that answer soon.

So after alot of thinking I thought it best to rather shut down my system for now. The stress of keeping paramaters in place, creates friction between myself and my wife. My good wife who has looked after this system so good she knows the ins and outs. But for her it is a chore and for me a hobby. While I work out of the country for long periods at a time, I made the descision to shut down for now. I am still in 2 minds though,to keep everything,sell only the tank or sell everything. I guess it will take a while to make up my mind, but I hope to have that answer soon.

I'm in a similar scenario with work & the missus - the alkatronic really helped a lot in that dept, online availability of seeing alk levels helped take my major concern out of play & became something that didn't need to be checked on whilst away.If you have internet it can be checked on.

Last edited:

Ai bud.

Ever thought of getting a maintenance team to look after it while you are out of town?

Oh no, that sucks. Have been there before, then young kids in the house and your attention gets even further diluted. Why not just put a whole bunch of softies and some hardier fish like a bunch of wrasses, then do nothing but feed and clean the glass for a few months and see how you feel then? Decided to go softie route myself for now exactly because of that reason, haven’t tested anything in a few months, my weekly routine is to clean the glass, change the filter socks and clean out the skimmer cup, that is it. So about 30min maintenance once a week and perhaps 15 minutes a day feeding and observing the fish/corals to see if everything feels in line.

At what cost though. It all adds up at the end of the day

I feel you.... Can always just find out.. Have you asked Benny if he does something like that. Maybe they can just pop in once a week. Test everything & adjust maybe the CaRX if needed.

EDIT: Thatll keep you wife happy as well. Hehehh & u can keep the system..

Last edited:
This thread may end here but the P650 is still alive and will be continued on a new thread for all those dedicated followers:m106:

Sad to say it, but still collecting dust in my garage:m85:

Attachments

• CD155FE4-01F2-424F-9693-80A568F3A88B.jpeg
    CD155FE4-01F2-424F-9693-80A568F3A88B.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 133
If anybody is wondering whatever happened to this tank, its still collecting dust in my garage:m85::m85::m85:, open to offers

Back
Top Bottom