My "old school" upgrade Tank...

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by belindamotion, 3 Dec 2011.

1. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Ok..so I've been thinking about starting this Thread.. and always postpone it... as I feel I need to research a bit more..now for one or other reason, I want to Post today..today of all days, when my mind is a blank...:p

At the moment I'm not sure on the size..actually I don't think I care whether it is 2feet, 6feet or 8feet...all I know is that I want a Tank that has an Algae Scrubber,
    Algae Scrubbers • View topic - Algae Scrubber Basics: The Summary
    Sump..(thats my concern..space) and a Refugium and what ever else this Newbie has forgotten to add to get an "old school" Tank....:blush: I don't think I want the Cheato ball in Sump, but actual Refugium..and a Trickle System...?
    Macro Algae : Your Source For Quality Marine Plants and Macroalgae
    Best Plants and Algae for Refugia | Reefland
    Best Plants and Algae for Refugia - Part II "Vegetable Filters" | Reefland

So...can the Reefers with that wonderful PC Program please help out with a visual "engine room" for me...:p I think I want something about 4ft...maybe 60cm wide, but only about 55cm high...and I guess the size depends on the Lighting length..will still be under a Hood...:biggrin:..hmmmm..space for Chiller...?..:blush:

Last edited: 3 Dec 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mupwi

mupwi

I have cheto if you want it is ready to prune

4. Annoying

Annoying

Belinda I think you are one of the few people that doesn't have to research more. I must say you really outdo yourself with the researching for not just you but other reefers aswell.

On tank size GO BIG!!!:lol: It's always better if you are not certain about what you want to keep. If the tank is bigger you also get extra space for the compartments and the sump.

If I may make a suggestion, maybe ask the moderators to move the thread to Members systems because it will begin as a DIY but most likely end up with a tank thread.

5. belindamotion

belindamotion Thread Starter Google Master

Thanks for the offer but this Tank is still in the "conception" stage...:p

Thank you very much...:blush:..but honestly, I feel a person can never know enough. Everyday I get bombarded with new Info...

I thought of that..but would hate to find myself in the situation where 20% water change turns out to be 400L...:eek:...:lol::lol::lol:

Guess I'll leave it first and see if I get Feedback...if not, then more research on my own and hopefully I'll have a engine room my Fishy's will be proud to call it their home...:blush:

6. Annoying

Annoying

True s very very true.

True but the great thing is the paramateres in the tank are a lot more stable then those in small tanks. Thus frequent water changes aren't so crutial but still necesarry. Maybe instead of 1 a week the water change can be done once a month.

I have no doubt in my mind that you won't make an amazing setup.:yeahdude:

7. Adee

Adee

Hi Belinda, the term "old school" caught my attention. Nothing wrong with that, the way I went as well for my second system.

Though do plan you sump and filtration methods first, what goes on upstairs for display tank, is secondary. Only downfall though, you would need lots of sump space. Scrubbers are great, so is chaeto.

Enjoy the planning bit, ultimately settle with what's going to suit your LS needs, same for your effort to maintain.

Nemos Janitor likes this.
  8. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

good advice

9. belindamotion

I fully agree and hopefully, by opening the Thread, I'll get some help regarding my "engine room"..my knowledge is very limited in regards to that...I read a lot, but I admitt that I still feel stupid and clueless when I can't visualise the "engine room" with what goes where and when...:p

10. Adee

Adee

Start with your live stock, stocking density, and what you plan to keep. Then work backwards.

Then need to decide on sizing, how big is the dsb, how much live rock, how big a scrubber, chaeto?

11. belindamotion

Ok..so I've been playing around with a "engine room"...but have to be honest...all I know is my "plug-in-and-play"..:p...I read a lot, but still clueless as I've never seen the inside of a "engine room" and really don't know what is the order in which the stuff must go...ok, I do know...filter...sump...return...but now where does the Algae Scrubber go...?..before filter...?:blush:..then where do you connect the Refugium...? See my problem...lack of knowledge...:whistling:

We have a small storage room under the stairs in our Duplex...I'm sure many know what I'm refering too..:)..my Nano Tank is currently standing outside this little room and the room itself is full of *crap*...so I can have my new upgrade on the outside, where my Nano is, on a metal frame and the "engine room" in the other room, behind the wall..my picture below...which by the way took me HOURS to do as I have no fancy program and clueless as to how these stuff work...:p..managed to so-so give an idea of what I'm aiming for..DESIGN 1 is where I would have "stuff" under the DT on the outside of the room...but don't know how the flow goes...the DESIGN 2 is what I think would be how it should be done..maybe the "order" of my stuff is wrong, but the "flow" would be right...? DT is in line with the AS and LR and then goes down to sump...? Another thing...not sure if the whole thing should be DSB or whether the "sump" should have the "buffers" or whatever they are called and the return chamber...then I still have to learn about the "overflow...but for now can I just get the order in which everything should go and which one of the two Designs are better and also how can I re-arrange so that under the DT can also be utilized....oh yes...Internal or external Skimmer...?
    [​IMG]

PS: I still don't know what size it will be...

Last edited: 6 Dec 2011
  12. belindamotion

Ok...so know I find myself in the position where I have to figure this thing out all by myself...so as I'm new to this...I've been reading and reading and reading...blah blah blah..only way, I guess, I'll figure out what goes where...:p..now I've been reading about the Refugium and came across this section...
    So does that mean that Cheato in the sump is reverse photosynthesis..I will admitt, I do like the set-up of the Refugium in the DT...I was thinking of having it along the back panel...or maybe the length of one of the side panels..:confused1:

Last edited: 9 Dec 2011
  13. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

So are those two designs going in the room or behind the tank?
    Where do you want to place the skimmer? External or internal is more about personal preference, cant really say which is better as they both have their good and bad ppoints.
    You dont need an algae scrubber and a refuge with cheato. The AS will/should outcompete the cheato. If you do want a refuge for critters to hide from predation, then why not install a cryptic zone?
    I dont fully agree with that statement you quoted. I dont see why a refugium must be run on the same light cycle as your tank. HAving cheato in the sump is only reverse photosynthesis (thats a horrible term) if you have it light up when the DT lights are off.

14. belindamotion

Strange you mention Cryptic Zone...I actually found this last night...:blush:
    Cryptic Zones ...actually it just makes me more confused...:confused1: The 2 Diagrams shows the Tanks that will be in the engine room...the DT will be "in-line" with the top Tank,on the other side of the wall....at the moment I'm not looking for Cheato in the Sump...I do want the AS and I do want the Refugium, but came across Cryptic Zone..so back to confuse..:confused1:..I want it basically for Micro Algae growth...hence Refugium...:blush: I do want LR as Filtration and then I'm not sure if my DSB should be the whole bottom tank on it's own or whether all the "compartments" should share the Tank...skimmer, return etc...I've still got such a lot of reading to do...I'm just getting to much info at a time...:( I need some help in figuring out what is more important and focus on that, and then the next and so on...:blush:

15. Max98

Max98

I agree that the scrubber and refugium is not needed. The plants in your refugium would die if the scrubber is working correctly.

The space you have in your drawing for the ATS will most probably not work, since you need to have lights (dry) +- 7cm from each side.

You can also plan to run the ATS from your tank return line. That way you save on one pump.

Also have a look at leds for the ATS. They have got very good results from the deep red(660 nm) leds.

My deep red leds are on their way from china now to test. :)

Last edited: 9 Dec 2011
  16. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Before you read to much and get totally confused, rather decide what you want to keep in the tank and design the filtration around those needs.
    Having a bit of every fitration method can become confusing and unnecessary. Best to keep things as simple as possible. Just becasue you have space for a big engine room, doesnt mean you have to fill it up from the start. MAybe start off with a basic setup and add on when/if the need arises

17. belindamotion

I thought the Basic Setup of an "old school" Tank was AS,LR,DSB and Refugium...:blush: I honestly don't know what Livestock I'm going to keep..Probably all NANO FISH...
    http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+2124&count=38&s=ts
    I love Blenny's but more than one is a no-no..even when introduced together as it's not always guarenttee that they won't be aggro...sigh I love the Black Sailfin Blenny..
    http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+23
    and I love Wrasse, but I have a Shrimp, so they might also be a miss...supposedly RS
    http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+1378&count=34&s=ts
    I don't really do the shoal thing...:blush: but might do 3 Anthias...
    http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+20
    But not into Angles...including Dwarf...

In the end, when I figure out who can mix with one another...I'll probably only have 10 or so...honestly, even thats too much..I hate over crowded Tanks...

18. belindamotion

I did some reading on Cheato and came to the conclusion that it works best on it's own...like this..photo courtesy of millepora...
    [​IMG]
    My understanding is that Critters can grow there...but now if I then choose the Algae Scrubber..where will the Pods and Critters "house" themself....I was thinking along the lines of AS under the Tank, then top Tank in "engine room" would just be LR and bottom Tank would be "Sump"...

Last edited: 10 Dec 2011
  19. salty dog

salty dog

That's a serious piece/ball of Chaeto. :eek:

20. 2balive

2balive

You should look the Pigmy Wrasses.

21. belindamotion

Recent Posts