My oceanic 100 Gallon Corner Pentagon

Discussion in 'New Members' started by mrogers1970, 17 Feb 2010.

Voter count: 0
?

Does my setup look good? Will it stay good?

1. Yes. Just dumb luck.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Maybe your on to sumthin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mrogers1970

mrogers1970

Hope I am doing O.K.

This is my first try at a reef tank. It has been up and running for about 6 months.

2 False Percula clowns
    1 Brittle star
    3 peppermint shrimp
    20 snails
    20 asst. hermits
    ?? pistol shrimp (i hear a clicking now and then)

Hope to move on to some corals
    a manderin and some other really cool looking reef life.

I cycled the tank with
    50 lbs live sand
    50 lbs live rock

I have a wet dry filter, a protein skimmer, three power heads, a cannister filter.

I have one 250W DE metal halide 20k, one 250W SE metal halide 10K, one 70w metal halide 10K and four 65W compact flourescent actinic lights.

Right now I am getting some great growth on my live rock, I can see some great corraline algae, lots of fan worms, a lot of copepods, gastropods and tons of stuff that I can only see with a microscope ocular.

My question is when should I move on to buying some frags and what should I start with?

Also, I would like to get an anemone for my clowns. They are a mating pair and I would like to give them a plce to make a home for their babies. What type should I get and when?

Also in these pictures I have some things I don't know what they are can you help?

Thanks,
    A super newbie. Dedicated though. I spend hours with my magnifier checking out the new life.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 17 Feb 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome to MASA

sounds like a wicked setup, have you got pics?

here are my suggestions

4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

as a suggestion, all the LR rubble you have lying in the front of your tank i would add to the rock pile, my reason is some LPS like substrate to rest in, and a little beach area also looks a little cool :)

5. crispin

crispin

pics look good:) (dallas which thread are u reading hehehe)

the specs and lighting sounds great, with time this sounds like an awesum setup, lots of potencial. from reading about your lights and ocular i figured you were 'across the pond from europe'.

you are showing great restraint in stocking with this tank running 6 months, so id suggest waiting a little longer before a nennie and as dallas pointed out your clowns might like one but they dont need one:)

If i may be a little criticle im a little unsure of your scaping, i feel you could do a little better with it, but that maybe due to the pic. As a corner tank you should have a good 'deep' perspective and with the scaping like that I feel you loose that. Id maybe try a smaller 'island' or a collum of LR but with space right and left and maybe not that high in the water collum. My thoughts on that are a number, one if you can see to the back you'd get that feeling of depth i was talking about and two with a little space behind the LR you should get a lovely feeling of fish comming out the depths and swimming round the reef towards you. I'm not sure, you can see it better. Id also tidy up the LR around the main base,open some sand up great for all sorts of creatchures from lps to tube nennies to fan worms to clams etc etc. youd get a better diversity of habitat:)

I really feel this tank is a perfect case where 'less will mean more' and by removing some LR (maybe putting it in sump) you would get a far better outlook:) just a thought.

coral wise with the scaping as you have it and knowing the great zoas you get in the states i'd look at getting some. easy, pretty and great vallue for what you pay.

a few LPS corals would be good too, hammer, torch etc would add some good movement.

but its a good looking tank and very nice of you to share it.

oh and where are my manners???? Welcome to MASA and happy posting:)

Last edited: 17 Feb 2010
  6. mrogers1970

mrogers1970 Thread Starter

Thanks

I have just installed an auto top off. I made it from a 5 gallon bucket and ahose connected to a float switch. I keep my salinity at 1.024-1.025. My LFS guy who has a masters in Chemistry and a BS in Marine Biology says this is good.. I add purple up three to four days a week and I use zooplex three times a week. Is that enough? I feed my livestock frozen brine shrimp and mysis shrimp, with a little green stuff mixed in.

7. mrogers1970

I did want to scape it a little better. I would like to add a sump as well. Should I also add plants, live sand etc to the sump?

8. crispin

crispin

personally i think for the stuff youve already got and spend on, a sump is a must. Before the forum jumps up and down and says sumps are NOT a must, i feel you really would be better off with one. It will improve your filtration a huge amount and getting a good skimmer hidden in the sump, some chemical media, your auto top up (atu), a dsb (maybe) some macro algae (chaetomorph etc) and maybe even an algae scrubber (do a search on masa about scrubbers) and you will be in a far better possition for long term success.

You can run your tank with the set up you have, i just recon a sump would really make life for you and your reef far more enjoyable.

i will go so far as to say that i wouldnt add a nennie without a sump and a fairly mature biological filtration set up as you want super stable parameters for a nennie!

9. mrogers1970

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I have been trying to go slow and to really build a stable setup that will last for many years. I want to have a beautiful underwater reef in my living room that will continually give me hours of peace and relaxation.

I don't have a lot of money BOO HOO... I was given the tank for free and the wet dry was also second hand. I built the lights by buying the raw ballasts and wiring them with cut-up extension cords and metal boxes for remote ballast housings. The only parts I couldn't make were the lamp holders and reflectors. The compact flourescents are wired up using cut up old all glass hoods. I also built a water poilishing filter by using a whole house water filter and using a peice of filter pad wraped around a used filter housing.

Here are some pics. Let me know what you think. I can't wait to get my gloves wet and move my rocks around the way you guys suggested.. More pics to come.

10. mrogers1970

Exactly. The nennies are so long lived. 70 plus years or so. It is such a waste to have one in a tank for a few months or even years and it dies.

Recent Posts