My newish tank.

Discussion in 'New Members' started by jimboPE, 13 May 2009.

1. jimboPE

jimboPE

Hey guys I would just like to take this oppurtunaty to say hello.This is my newish tank. I upgraded to it from a smaller tank that i had for a couple of years.As you can see im still very much in the early days, still need to cover the one side with rock.The tank dimensions are 70x50x190=665l and the sump is 35x40x90.I have a 400watt metal halide 20000k and two 150w 2000k on either side of it(only using one at the momment).

I recently removed the bio balls from my sump which i heard is quite s**t aswell as the floss from the first compartment which was quite old.I would appreciate some ideas on what i can do with my sump.

I currently have a weipro skimmer but bought a reef octopus a couple of days ago which i despratly need some help to try to set up.

Fish are regal tang,powder blue,coral beauty,Indian yellowtail anglefish,yellow tang and 2 wrasses (currently unidentified(caught them in natal)).

I also have 2 torch corals,radianthus ritteri,2 types of mushrooms,star polyps,organ coral and some zoas.

I also have some hermits,cleaner shrimp.peppermint shrimp and a few glass shrimps.

I would really like any advice you guys can give as you can see im having a slight algae problem at the moment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA Jimbo, glad you joined us. Nice size tank you have there. Just a few question so we can assist you better if needed.

Why are there 2 pumps in the sump?
    Can you post your water parameters for us?

If I may give some friendly advice. Not sure what your nitrate readings are, but the substrate looks a little bit too coarse - detritus will get trapped in it and cause water quality problems later on. Unless you vacuum the substrate regularly.

Depending on what you wanna keep you may need to up your flow a bit inside the tank. You can do that by adding Seio, Tunze or Sunsun flow pumps.

A basic sump will have 3 compartments. 1 - for the skimmer, 2 - for the deep sand bed, and 3 for the return pump. It's easy to modify.
    Don't be shy to ask questions - we are here to learn from each other and share experiences. Enjoy the hobby :wave2:

4. THE ANIMAL

THE ANIMAL

:welcometomasa2:
    TO MASA JIMO!!!!
    Can I ask what do you use in you sump as filter material or what are you going to use? Because at the moment it looks emty. To have a successful marine tank it is to get the heart of the tank right.
    So we can first start there and let us help you.
    Fore how long is your tank up and runing?

5. jimboPE

jimboPE Thread Starter

Will post readings later after taking it have run out of some of the tests.I definantly want to change the subtrate what is the best in your opinion?The other pump is for my skimmer which is external.

6. scruffels

scruffels

welcome glad to see some morepe guys joining the forum
    nice big tank you got there. i use sand from the beaches here, acts as a dsb in the display aswell i think. only downfall is it gets everywhere but thats because i have 3 resun wavemakers.
    i use a ts2 skimmer and works well for me for i guess ts3 will do great in your tank.
    thats a sweet powder blue to you there.
    have you tried to run a phosphate remover im guessing thats the cause of the algae.

7. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA, Jimbo! Great that you have found MASA, and joined us!

Great tank man! And also GREAT MOVE that you have upgraded to a ReefOctopus skimmer. Seems like you have your lighting sorted! WOW!

BTW: That wrasse is commonly called a "ladder wrasse" (the green one with the dark "squares").

What's the issue with the ReefOctopus skimmer? What model is is? Is the RO skimmer an in-sump skimmer? Or external recirculating skimmer?

8. jimboPE

jimboPE Thread Starter

No have not.Sorry for sounding quite stupid but what is it?

9. scruffels

scruffels

to stupid questions here trust me!
    phosphate removers: antiphos, rowaphos are examples. they are iron based products which are placed a reactor which removes phosphates which are one of the causes of algae growth. also high nitrates which a deep sand bed would sort out and should keep in check.

10. jimboPE

jimboPE Thread Starter

It is this one its internal or external. OTP 1000. 18W I dont know if it is big enough?I tried it first with fresh water aand a hose pipe and the bubbles are realy big.That is the water inlet im holding lol. Yes im thinking of getting rid of that pesky wrasse.

[​IMG]

11. THE ANIMAL

THE ANIMAL

Jimbo This is what your sump more or less should look like
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    first one the inled for your water from your tank and your simmer
    Middel your DSB sand must be 120 to 150mm
    Last one return pumps to tank.

12. Prodigy

Prodigy

i agree with Jac that is a ladder wrasse.
    And some kind of phos remover should help

13. jacquesb

Thanks Jimbo - good skimmer, but still a little bit under-rated for your total water volume. It's an external DNW-110, by the looks of it. Recirculating. That pipe you are holding, is where the water flow / water supply, from your tank should come from....
    The pipe with the red valve on, is the outlet from the skimmer, which you should plumb to flow back into your tank's sump....

I would run BOTH the skimmers for now - until such time that you are ready to upgrade to a really big skimmer ;)

This will happen at some stage, believe me ;) - I too went through the motions of different skimmers....

Especially when you start keeping SPS corals..... Everything else is great - you can upgrade your in-tank water flow somewhat, and then the skimmers....

BUT - for now - go on..... use both the WeiPro, and this ReefOctopus DNW-110 together.....

14. jimboPE

jimboPE Thread Starter

That sump looks quite huge.Im quite limited with space seeing as it has to fit into the cabinet at the bottom.Do u think mine is to small?Is there any ratio between what your sump must be compared to your display tank?Nice meeting u scruffles if u are interested in swapping frags u should let me know some time.

15. jimboPE

jimboPE Thread Starter

Any idea on the skimmer not producing a fine mist of bubbles?could the fresh water instead of salt water have anything to do with it?Sorry for all the questions been waiting a while for help like this!

16. jacquesb

Jimbo - no. There's no specific ratio. It is just generally accepted that the sump has to be as big as you can make it......
    You must see the sump, as an extension of water volume, to your tank. As well as the place where you can hide most of your equipment, ie. skimmer, reactors, chemical filtration media (ie phosphate, ammonia/nitrate removers, etc), a place to put another Deep Sand Bed, and to put macro algae - to assist with nutrient removal....

17. jacquesb

Hi Jimbo - yes - DEFINITELY. A skimmer generically does NOT work (generate bubbles) in fresh water..... it requires water with a "thicker" substance..... (heavier water)....

18. scruffels

scruffels

that would be awesome. just dont have anything to swap at the moment trying to get me some sps! yeah thought that skimmer lookd abit small for 600l tank. the size of your sump should be as big as you can fit! you should have enough space under the tank for a nice size sump with three compartments. you are mo your exsisting one.

19. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome, freshwater humbled even my AM TF5000 twin so the skimmer definatley wont produce as fine bubbles in fresh water as it does in salt water, dont stress they are excellent little skimmers those.. you will be pleased when you run SW through it..

20. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

more skimmer info, its rated to do 400lt id suggest looking at either a TS3 (insump) or DNW-150 (that skimmers bigger brother) those skimmers are suited to 600lt on the dot.. there are many other options available but pricy.. generally my thought has always been that you can turn a big skimmer down but not a small skimmer up..

i like your aqua scaging perhaps try incorporate a few more crevices so that the fish can interact into the reef a little more.. all fish look exceptionally healthy, im jealous about the pwder blue its always been my nemesis.

21. jimboPE

jimboPE Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys will try making a deal with the fish store to swap that skimmer for a bigger one and pay the difference.Have not used it yet.Going to go for as big as i can get.Im going to redo the aquascaping when i change the substrate any ideas on what to go for regarding substrate?Scruffles do u know of anywhere to get the play sand everyone talks about for the dsb in PE?

Recent Posts