My New TL 550

Discussion in 'Boyu TL450 and TL550 advice' started by Dre, 9 Mar 2013.

1. Dre

Dre

Hi everyone I am officially the owner of a new TL 550. I also got 6kg of sand and three pieces of live rock (6Kg). The tank is standard and I am an extreme newbie.

I was told to put the sand and live rock in with the water which I have done and to run for six weeks?

Now which equipment do I leave on and which do I leave off? I have everything off now to help the sand to settle in the water because the visibility is not good.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mornewil

mornewil Morne

Hey and welcome to the Boyu Clan.

U can switch on everything while your tank cycles.
    I would suggest getting all your live rock now and adding it.
    What have you got in your back compartment for filtration?
    Post some pics.

4. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

Hi and welcome :thumbup:

Some pics would be great please.

It sounds like the sand is being agitated by a powerhead perhaps?

Anyways dont stress and be patient. That will bring the best results ;)

5. Tiger eye

Tiger eye

Glad you desided on a TL550 that is a nice size tank to start with.

6. Dre

Dre Thread Starter

@Shaun what is a powderhead? Sorry im a newbie

I left everything standard.
    The first section has the sponge filters
    The second section has the skimmer
    The third has bags of white things ( Again Newbie ha ha ) with six plastic balls
    The last one has the pump and the heater. Also with four plastic balls

Is that ok?

How do I sort out the merky water? Do i just let it settle?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

HI, the water will settle with time,

1: Take out the bioballs because they are not recommened for Saltwater..
    2: you can leave the sponges but try to clean then weekly,because they can contribute to water problems later on..

you can choose to leave the lights on or off during the cycle period but that doesn't really matter..

Do you have any water test kits ? try to get nitrate kit if you only want one test kit at the moment.

did you test the salanity of the water ? (the amount of salt in the water) ?

Powerhead --- just a little pump to help circulate the water in the tank

Last edited: 9 Mar 2013
  8. Clowning

Clowning

Hey there and welcome to MASA I noticed the skimmer in your pic looks like the cup is overflowing thus the bubbles on the top. You might want to set it so it skims correctly.

9. Dre

Dre Thread Starter

I dont have any test kits yet. asked them and they said I can start testing closer to the six week time.

What kits should i get?

I didnt check the water but I bought it from the Pet shop.

What temperature should I set the heater to?
    @Clowning How do you set the skimmer?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. Clowning

Clowning

On the left when looking at the skimmer from the front there is a valve that you can turn it's above the outlet.
    You want the bubbles inside the skimmer cup to be in the middle, but first turn it so that the bubbles goes down and you can remove the skimmer cup and it wont spill.
    Take off the skimmer cup and empty it back in the tank as its just water in there. Then place it back in the skimmer, try to not push the cup in too deep.
    Remove the cap so you can see the center of the cup.Turn the valve so the bubbles comes up to the bottom of the cup then slowly adjust until it comes to the middle and leave it there.
    Also make sure that the air like is fully open(the black screw in part on the right side) hope this makes sense

11. Dre

Dre Thread Starter

Thanks it does make sense. The bubbles are set at half way. So should there be No water in the cup. As for the screw on the right hand side. Must I unscrew it until it comes out?

12. Clowning

Clowning

No water in the cup. What will happen is the bubbles will lift tiny dirt particles to the surface and as the bubbles pop they will slowly fall into the cup, eventually as the cycling goes on the cup will fill with yellowish or brown water you will then remove the cup. empty it out ant put it back at least once a week. As for the black you can unscrew it then put it back and turn it say a half turn so it just stays in. this what it should start looking like in the cup

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  13. mornewil

mornewil Morne

Clowning got the skimmer covered. And +1 on removing the bioballs. Empty your 3rd chamber of all bioballs and ceramic rings. u can later on add some chemical filtration in there. Also move your heater to the 1st chamber as water level drops in 1st with evaporation and heater could get exposed.

14. Dre

Dre Thread Starter

My tank has cleared up. Thanks for all the advise. :thumbup:

15. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

I agree, take out the balls as well as the ceramic rings. Definitely move the heater to the first chamber from your right. It also looks like you have too much water in your tank. The 2nd and 3rd chamber needs to have a little trickle,if thats the correct word to use. I like to leave a 3 to 4cm gap from the top of the divider between chamber 2 or 3. Do you have any powerheads (flow) in your display tank. Also remember to rinse the big sponge twice a week.

16. Dre

Dre Thread Starter

I did notice that once I put more water in that the second and third chambers were not divided. Ill take more water out. If i put the heater in the first chamber can i still put the floss on top of the sponge.

can i rinse the sponge in normal water?

I dont have any powerheads because I am a bit confused on which one to get. Every time I want to buy something I get told that I need to choose what livestock I want in before I buy. Thats why I made a thread about what Im looking at getting and then Ill take it from there. Is that the correct way to go about it?

17. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

You will need powerheads. It depends on your budget. If you can afford a vortech or tunze,go for it. If you are on a tight budget, you can go for a couple of seio powerheads but try get pumps with magnets. Go to one of our sponsors and explain to them that you have a Boyu TL550 and you want to add powerheads, they will point you in the right direction. With your standard light you will not be able to add any SPS corals,mostly soft corals and for that you dont need A LOT of low. 3500-4000 L/ph flow should be sufficient. Maybe we can get some more input. I started with that amount of flow and imo it was enough.

Last edited: 11 Mar 2013
  18. Dre

Dre Thread Starter

Hi everyone I have completed my aquascaping. I did some research and saw that some fish enjoy caves and some enjoy mid levels in the tank so i tried to add a bit of everything. Im really enjoying setting up my tank.

[​IMG]

19. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

Doing thorough planning in the initial phases, saves loads of frustration later on. So go ahead and play :) It might prove quite difficult (if not impossible) to change your scaping once corals have settled. Then you are limited with adjustments you can make. So be sure to try all different options, and then know that you are probably gonna change it a few times more after that first LS goes in... :biggrin:

20. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

From your pic I cannot make out clearly, but just make sure you have enough space for a magnet cleaner to move past the rock without disturbing it.

21. Damen

Damen

thats good scaping dude. fish will love it. nice and easy to place corals too

Recent Posts