My new TL-450

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by AntS, 6 Apr 2010.

1. AntS

AntS

So I've just bought and setup my first reef setup this weekend - a new TL-450.

I've added 4kg of live argonite, and 6.7kg of live rock, as well as disabling the UV filter and adding some filter floss.

I set it up 3 days ago and everything looked great - pH 8.3, normal alkalinity, S.G = 1.025

Over the last 36 hours however, the S.G slowly dropped to about 1.018. I removed some water to add salt and I've raised the S.G to 1.020 - I don't want to increase it to quickly and shock the critters that came attached to the live rock.
    My question is - is this normal, and am I doing the right thing to solve the problem?
    I'm using a swing arm hydrometer btw.

On the subject of my live rock (pics to follow), I seem to have gotten more than I've bargained for.
    I've spotted at least 2 tiny crabs and at least 1 shrimp that I can't identify because it won't show more than its eyes. I also seem to have a tiny slug, as well as quite a few little tube like molluscs/animals (not sure what they are, I'll get pics for you guys to help me out). There is also quite a bit of what look like clusters of small green sacules/pollyps. The guy at the lfs told me that this was some type of coral - I'm not so sure.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Evo R

Evo R

Welcome to MASA !!!!!

4. eb.adam

eb.adam

welcome to MASA... i await the pics... i'm looking into setting a nano up myself... still in the research phase :)

5. Pete

Pete

Hi Ants. welcome to Masa. As for the swing arm hydrometer they are not the most accurate on the market. I would save up a bit and get myself a decent hyrometer the Tropic marin glass hydrometer is very accurate

6. Pete

Pete

Sorry a quick question how did you prep your water before setting up

7. xtreme

xtreme

Welcome!!!!
    The wonderful life of live rock!!!

8. ReefMaster_SA

ReefMaster_SA

welcome we need pics

9. Manic

Manic Moderator

Hey AntS, well done on the new tank. Just some advice, those swing arm hydrometers are not accurate at all, if I measure my water now with one it will read around 1.018 where with the tropic marine pro hydrometer it is exactly 1.026. Also the crabs and shrimp you are seeing are probably not good as they are usually unwanted. pictures would help though. The slug might also be something that would pose future problems in your tank, pics would help though...

10. AntS

AntS Thread Starter

Still looking for my camera, but its all bad news:

The shrimp is a mantis shrimp - and bigger than I expected it to be, I saw it for the first time this morning
    The green stuff is bubble algae - going to have to remove all of it after I get rid of the shrimp.
    Now I've noticed 2 small aptasia as well.
    This is all on 1 large 5.7kg piece of rock

:(

I've got my work cut out for me before I can even start to consider the CUC I was going to start putting in this weekend.

11. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Good luck AntS! As Mouse how to get rid of a "mantis shrimp" - I think that she took the live rock out of the tank, and placed it over a container with tank water in (not inside the water - over the water). As the rock started drying out, the mantis shrimp sensed the water below and took a "dive" ;)

W.r.t the aptiasia - YES - definitely remove this now - before it becomes a huge problem in your tank......

The "bubble algae" - is that "valonia" or "grape caulerpa"?

12. Annoying

Annoying

Hey and welcome to MASA!

13. AntS

AntS Thread Starter

Well I got stuck in this afternoon - my dissecting skills from taking anatomy at university (even though I'm an engineer) helped in resecting the majority of the bubble coral from the rock, which also revealed the mantis shrimps lair.

I'm pretty sure the algae was Bornetella Sphaerica. I managed to get most of it, and most of it was clear rather than opaque so I'm pretty sure those were infertile.

I managed to get the mantis shrimp out by placing the rock in a shallow bucket of tank water and squirting and poking the shrimp in its hole until it abandoned ship. Thing was bout 5cm long.

I've placed the rock back in the tank now and things seem ok. They didn't have needles at chemist so I'll have to try eradicate the aptasia tomorrow.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

14. Manic

Manic Moderator

Where is the mantis now, I'll take it off your hands? About the bubble algae don't cut it off just get some sort of dwarf angel, it will eat it for sure.

I'm also an engineer by the way...

15. AntS

AntS Thread Starter

disposed of him, sorry.

Dwarf angel is a good idea, but I think its a bit early in the cycling to add one.

16. AntS

AntS Thread Starter

where to buy sexy shrimp

Right, I've now gotten rid of the aptaisia (I think I got all of it), so I'm official pest free.

I'm gonna give the tank a few days to make sure everythings okay

Does anyone know where I could get a sexy shrimp or two, or pom-pom crab to start up my CUC once everything is cool.

17. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

try pet stores that stock marine livestock.

18. AntS

AntS Thread Starter

I was actually asking if there are in stores in particular that specifically have either of those 2.

I bought a fire shrimp and a turbo snail (they could only find 1 in all their tanks) at LFS today, and they seem to be happy and are already cleaning up alot.

Still looking for my camera...

19. Annoying

Annoying

PM some of the sponsors I'm sure they will have for you, and if they don't they will normally order.

Can't wait for the pics...

20. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

What pet store did you visit ?

Recent Posts