My new tank

Discussion in 'New Members' started by cswhitehead, 6 Aug 2010.

1. cswhitehead

cswhitehead

Good day guys so yesterday i went and got my tank its a standard 4ft tank i still have to make the stand and that will take pics once i start if anybody is interested. I have a few questions tho i went and collected some rocks i found on the beach, can i just put any rocks i find in? Or is that a bad idea? So back to the tank i want to drill a hole for the overflow. Will a 50mm hole be ok and any advice on drilling the bottom of a tank? Ok now for the sump im going to use an old 3ft tank(90lx30wx38h if im not mistaken). If i understand this correctly i can have the 1st compartment with the overflow inlet and protein skimmer then second compartment dsb then third compartment return pump. Is this correct? how big should the dsb be? It gets hot here so i will need a chiller for the summer months how and where would i fit this into the system?
    I know iv done nothing but ask questions the whole time iv been on masa but the more you ask the more you know so hopefully in future i will be able to share the knowledge i have gained on masa. Thanks guys cant wait to get my tank going.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

see my answers below in blue

questions are what we are here to answer.. rather us help than you get ripped off and leave the hobby..

there is power in information. i hope this has helped somewhat.

crispin likes this.
  4. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

welcome buddy:) some good advice from Leslie;)

Last edited: 6 Aug 2010
  5. crispin

crispin

les has you covered with good advice on those questions so i wont add to that, but i will add that masa is here to help its memebers as much as we can. be it with advice, be it with support and encouragement and sometimes with fairly stringly worded passionate posts. There is a fantastic 'brains trust' of reefers in here and generally most things you come up against have been done before by somebody on here, so dont be shy to ask a question we will do all we can to help you:)

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

nice crispy ;)

7. cswhitehead

cswhitehead Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Not sure what rocks iv got il take some pics of them then maybe some one can tell me if they ok or not? The overflow is going to go in the back corner of the tank. Just another thing on the dsb i must make it as wide as possible, what about the height do i make it as high as possible aswel?

8. crispin

crispin

cs, LR is incredibly important to a tank. I think of LR as being the lungs of a system. its the bacteria which live inside the rock that process the majority of the waste in a system. Consequently its an area of a tank that I always try get the best possible quality and the most (within reason) i can into a tank to start off with and then I let it cycle a long time so that I know ive got a good base to start from. Regretably most of the ocean LR in SA is too dense to be really effective in small tanks like home aquaria so personally i wouldnt use it. The pourosity of LR is of importance so that water can flow in and through it slowly and thus the bacterial populations inside the LR (what you really want) have a habitat and a food source to do their thing. Dont skimp on live rock it will haunt your tank later on.

a dsb is a fantastic biological aid in processing Nitrogen through its cycles and there are some very good threads on DSB's on masa. generally you want one as big as you can within reason (heard that before from les:)) as foot print (area) is very important. Gernerally you want a dsb to be around 12cm-15cm deep, any deeper doesnt give you much advatage and any shallower you wont have an oxygen deprived environment.

Last edited: 6 Aug 2010
  9. cswhitehead

Great stuff il go check around for live rock then. When i find how will i know if its quality live rock or if the guy is trying to sell me crap? Can anyone post close up pics or links to pics of live rock. The pet shops here dont really have much when it comes to marine aquariums.

10. magman

magman

Bad Idea on the rocks, the rocks you talking about, are on alkanstrand, and the dredger has sucked them out at sea, usually near where the pipeline is, those rocks are like a hard sandstone, and not porous at all, they will end up leaching bad phosphates also.

Best bet is to dive for it, I don't know how good your diving skills are.

For livestock, speak to the sponsors on here, they all can ship to the bay and you just pick it up at the airport, or when you in Durban go to some of the lfs there, Julies in gateway, or Northlands in Springfield, just tell them it's got to go to the bay, and they will put your stock in a large bag.

11. cswhitehead

Thanks for the advice. Where could i dive for live rock?

Recent Posts