my new tank

Reaction score
HI there to all.
i have started a tank and have been putting in little fish from the rock pools here in Wilderness, Garden Route

Just wanting some info on a few things
my tank is 1.2m i think it is 100 ltr
have a protein skimmer and cascade 500 external filter
also a gravel filter
put beach sand and sea water in, a few rocks from the beach. all is looking ok so far:thumbup:

questions
  • I have 2 sea urchins - What can i feed them ?? how many can i have in the tank ??
  • I have 2 sea anemons - what can i feed them ?? how manhy can i have in the tank??
  • Have about 10 tiny star fish. the ones that blend into the rocks, very small, almost look web like. - what can i feed them ???
  • have 4 hermit crabs
  • have 1 limpet who seems fine - anything i should give him
  • have 4 timy shrimps
  • have a few fish from the rock pools - rock fish, stumpneus, black tail, streepies
  • then we have a small sole - what can i feed it ?? he is tiny.
should i feed the tank just marine fish flakes or should i also give them food such as bits of pilchard, prawn and red bait. I put some in the other day and they loved it. Just worried that it will make the tank dirty. how often should i feed my tank.
gave the sea urchins and anemones some pilchard and they ate it away. Is this a good thing ???
  • Also what temp should i have my tank. seeing that it is mainly little things from the rock pools here.
Any input would be great

:welcometomasa1:

Hi Sacha

Welcome to MASA! And thanks for the pictures!

Good luck with the venture, I know you'll find lots of help and advice here, so you're in good hands.

I am sure the guys will all be asking these questions and more:
How long has your tank been running for?
What are your water parameters?
Do you have a sump / refugium etc?
Gravel filter? - is that not for fresh water systems? etc, etc....

Howzit Mouse? Hope you're well? Did you get your lighting sorted then?

Hi Sacha - can you perhaps post some more pics of your tank for us to ogle at?

BTW: I do think that Sacha's tank is a "temperate water" tank. Sacha must just try and keep the water temp lower than 26 degrees......

BTW: I do think that Sacha's tank is a "temperate water" tank. Sacha must just try and keep the water temp lower than 26 degrees......

thanx for the imput. still want to know what to feed my sole
here are some pics
27664b853d51da28e.jpg

27664b853d8357fec.jpg

What do the tiny stars eat........ can see him on the oyster shall. Can i feed my tank live food or will this make it murky. should i stick to marine flakes. Thet all seem to like the prawns and pilchards. but have not seen the sole eat yet

some more pics

27664b853f255e296.jpg

27664b853f5c74d4a.jpg

27664b853fe5e0b38.jpg

Sacha - the tiny star eats detritus and algae. The sole, I think, would need to be fed some "meaty morsels". ie. Look at some dead fish/mussel meat, etc
Just ensure that it's on the substrate or in the top bit of the substrate.

:welcometomasa1:

Hi Sacha

Welcome to MASA! And thanks for the pictures!

Good luck with the venture, I know you'll find lots of help and advice here, so you're in good hands.

I am sure the guys will all be asking these questions and more:
How long has your tank been running for?
What are your water parameters?
Do you have a sump / refugium etc?
Gravel filter? - is that not for fresh water systems? etc, etc....

Hi there. thank you for the welcom
i have put some pics of my tank now. re did it all.
do not have a sump.
tank been running with all in it for a week now.
i was told we could have the gravel filter. so not sure. sucking up alot of sand though.
battling to keep the temp down.
can i put ro water ice cubes in when it get warm.
trying to keep it at 26 but other day was up to 29. got worried
:(

Sacha - implement a decent sized fan over the top of the tank. This will drop the water temp quite a lot. Only thing you will have to contend with then, is to ensure that your tank's salinity does not shoot up too high. Therefor the topping up with fresh RO water.

In answer to your other questions - sea urchins will eat algae, and also meaty morsels. The same food you feed your sole, would feed your sea urchins.

The undergravel filter will work to an extent, but not enough. You will HAVE to start looking at getting a decent skimmer at some stage. Have a look at the hang-on ReefOctopus BH-1000 skimmers - these are awesome for your sized tank.

Sacha - implement a decent sized fan over the top of the tank. This will drop the water temp quite a lot. Only thing you will have to contend with then, is to ensure that your tank's salinity does not shoot up too high. Therefor the topping up with fresh RO water.

In answer to your other questions - sea urchins will eat algae, and also meaty morsels. The same food you feed your sole, would feed your sea urchins.

The undergravel filter will work to an extent, but not enough. You will HAVE to start looking at getting a decent skimmer at some stage. Have a look at the hang-on ReefOctopus BH-1000 skimmers - these are awesome for your sized tank.

How much is one of the octopus skimmer. budget quite low at the moment. Is our one ok for now ???
So are you saying i can feed the sole bits of fish bait ?????

Jip, Sacha. Yes to both counts. AS LONG AS YOU KEEP UP with your water changes.

Please remember the following quote: (and it is not my words): "dilution is the solution to polution" (meaning - that the crap in the water needs to be removed SOMEHOW - together with your small skimmer, and decent water changes - you will be successful in keeping your lifestock alife)....

Sacha, I agree with Jacques - skimmer is not efficient enough. Also, the rock you have in the tank is too dence by the look of it and will not help much with biological filtration as good live rock should. You need to get porous rock to get the real benefit. For now you need to keep up with lots of waterchanges as your bioload is quite high for a tank running a week ;)

Back
Top Bottom