My new tank!

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by cptmayhem, 19 Feb 2010.

1. cptmayhem

cptmayhem

Well, here it is... it's a 4 footer (1.2m) with a vol of 240 litres, and it's a great improvement on my original 120l system.

Inhabitants are:

2 clowns
    1 bicolor angel
    1 bicolor blenny
    8 hermit crabs (2 red, 6 blue)

quite a bit of rock, mostly unseeded stuff from the beach. I'm slowly adding more LR as i can, and plan on adding a few more fishies quite soon.

Latest acquisition - a small pincusion leather (not pictured here) and another piece of LR on the left hand side behind the polyps. Parameters are good, just need to get some food for the polyps, and I'm "A for away"

as an aside - it took 30 minutes for the leather to stop sulking...

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sentari

Sentari

Welcome

That looks like alot of baserock. I would add alot more LR to the system.

4. cptmayhem

cptmayhem Thread Starter

I'm adding LR to the system all the time. Another 4 kilos coming next week...

5. FransSny

FransSny

Glad you are coming along mayhem...

Isnt the base rock very dense though ? Also as a side thought remember it is actually illegal to remove rocks :p

6. cptmayhem

cptmayhem Thread Starter

Oops - my bad...

The rock itself is actually very porous. Not as dense as you would think. Mind you, I was quite selective in the rock that I chose. Made sure there were a lot of holes, and ragged bits for the nasties to hide in. Plus, some of the rock i got almost looks like an antfarm it's so holey.

Saying that - the original pieces I've had for a while now (4 months or more) and they have started to seed, and the polyps have actually started to grow and spread on them - so that can hardly be a bad thing.

The ones I've just added a week ago have started getting a slimecoat, and I expect them to be seeded within about 2 months or so, and then the fun will start.

I'm doing a 10% water change every week now as well, after my previous tank went a bit haywire when I went away. I had someone looking after it for 3 weeks, but thanks to a continuous cycle of overfeeding and the temperature / water levels not being monitored, I came back to a tank with 10% of its water gone and a temp of 29C with a coating of green. Needless to say the polyps were not happy!

Recent Posts