My New Tank - What do you think?

I don't think a concrete tank will cost less. But ask Sean for exact figures I know he is dying to add up all the invoices :lol:

WOW thanks guys - yes I am slowly but surely getting there - I was quoted R6K for a 2ML x 1MW X 600H tank - to be built at my house - I think I might go with that or make it 1.2MW?

I just still now need to look at all the other stuff needed - I am not sure what all the "denitrator reactor, DSB" what these things are?

I see the concrete looks good - I want to break a wall down in my place so that you can see the tank from the Patio & 2 lounges

I now can see how this can become a wallet eating thing!

Guys how much does it cost per month to run a tank the size I want to? more or less?

Thanks again

Go 1.2m wide you will be happy once you get over the extra cost. I went .850wide and now wish I had gone 1m...

Hi vatso - DSB = Deep Sand Bed (just the depth of the sand bed that you should use - you can use "Reggies Play Sand" (or perhaps go to Builders Warehouse and ask them for their play-sand).... Between 12 and 15 cm depth is what is called a "DSB".... BUT also important - if you can add a complete (cheaper) tank to act as a sump JUST for the DSB, then your filtering CAN really work well!

Denitrator reactor is a very very long piece of flexible pipe, that gets water pumped into the one side and have "clean" water come out of the other side.... There is an amount of both aerobic as well as an-aerobic bacteria living on the inside of this pipe, and they "clean" the water from nutrients..... (this is very easy to DIY)....

Guys this is so exciting I am going to start this project next year!! I am sure by then I will have a proper idea of what I need equipment wise with costs!

I have just been away to Moz on a diving trip & will be back next week to go on a ship for the week! if only i could bring the sea water back with me!!

A belated welcome vatso! :) Hmm... With all that water I think you should get a high volume r.o. unit and start making water :) good luck.

If I could give you advice vatso, start a smaller tank first. Get used too things a little, that way when you make mistakes(which you will) they not going to be at such a large scale....

Hi Vatso - please have a look at the links which Hennie posted here:
Handy links - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

You will learn one heck of a lot going through these links ;-)

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

this sounds like a good thread to keep an eye on , i cant wait to see the tank up and running.

I have just been away to Moz on a diving trip & will be back next week to go on a ship for the week! if only i could bring the sea water back with me!!
which ship you going on dude?

Back
Top Bottom