My new tank setup

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Roly, 12 May 2009.

1. Roly

Roly

ive been keeping tropical fish for a while and would like to convert one of my smaller tanks to a marine reef tank and not sure on how to go about it.My problem is that im not sure how to setup a sump,(the correct way of placing all the media Dsb bioballs, ceramic tubes, filter floss ect)and the possioning of the Skimmer. another problem is that i have no inlets or outlets for my tank.its just Standard.

1. can i use a canister filter or should i have a sump?
    2.if i can use a cannister what media shopuld i put in it?(tetratec 1200)
    3.Tank size 1200X450X450 is it to small and how important is the deplth is it deep enough?

Help please

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

!
    1. no!! SUMP SUMP SUMP
    2. NA... but in a sump you could convert this to a carbon or phos reactor
    3. Perfect Size.... great depth !

Have a look through some of the beginner threads, there is some awesome info out there on how to start in marines .....

4. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Oh and welcome to the forum by the way !!

5. Tridan

Tridan

welcometomasa Roly

I suggest you go with a sump, as it will make life easier.
    Its not a big job so dont stress.
    Your tank size is fine standard 4 foot plenty of them around, mine is very similar 1250 x 500 x 500.

Good luck.

6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi Roly!

Welcome to MASA!

as per your Q's a sump is essential along with other important pieces.
    your sump can have basically 3 compartments, the first, having a protein skimmer and where your water enters from your tank overflow, the second will have your deep sand bed, DSB, and some Live Rock, LR, then the last chamber is where your return pump is housed .
    but save for a good skimmer, you might even get a bargain here, or post in the sponsors forums.

you can use your canister filter to house carbon and mechinical filterattion

nice tank, perfect for a beginner.

if you look in the filtration section of the forums there are some great threads on DSB's, LR etc

Enjoy

7. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Ah, nice tank!!! WELCOME!!!

BTW, make sure your sump is at least 2/3 the size of your tank (cheapest way is to get a std 3 foot and mod it with your compartments) Add a DSB in it.

If you can get a 4 foot sump even the better!!! Adds more volume, and more volume = more stability!!!

8. Roly

Roly Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help guys will do a little more research into it.

9. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Roly welcome

10. seank

seank

:welcometomasa:

11. crispin

crispin

Hello Roly, welcome to MASA:)

great to have you posting and really exciting to hear that you want to join the facinating world of marine tanks :)

youve got a great size tank, but a sump really will make life far easier for you and it really increases the quality of the water. that with marine inverts is very important, more so than the fish only systems. A good skimmer will also really pay you dividends, and you wont spend so much time at the shrink asking weird questions about problem algaes :)

thats a lovely sized tank and nice depth. You should be able to use t5 lights and still have good penertration (of light) so that corrals can grow and thrive.

there are some great tanks on MASA and lots of help. So have a good look through the members threads and see what sort of things we have done and what we have achieved and you will have a better idea of where to go with your tank...

Oh and ASK ALL THE SILLY THINGS YOU DONT UNDERSTAND. we have generally seen most of the mistakes and as a collective brains trust will gladly help you avoide them. SO fire away with questions and lets get your hands salty:)

welcome to MASA

12. Roly

Roly Thread Starter

in terms of the lighting you say i should use T5 lights.Question what size and watts should i use. how many lights should i have and how long should i have to run them?i have read up on this already but not to sure how the operation of these lights work connection timers and that sort stuff(i like the D.I.Y kind of stuff.)

13. dallasg

for your 4ft i would say 39w would be perfect. on my 4ft, the same dimensions as yours i have 2 39w t5's in the front both 10000k and then 2 150w mh about 25cm from each edge, 20cm above the tank, then behind those at the back i have another 2 t5's one 20000k and one 10000k and for me thats perfect lighting to keep anything

14. dallasg

the mh's are 14 000k bulbs

15. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Again, depending on what you are wanting to keep in the tank. If you want to keep some SPS or nennies, you should go with Dallas's suggestions on the Metal Halides...

If you rather plan on keeping softies (mushroom, pulse corals, star pollyps, zoa that type of thing) you would not require Metal Halide. Then I would suggest at least 6x 39 W T5's. I would then say 2x 6700 K tubes, 2x 14000K - 18000K Tubes and 2x Actinic tubes.

That is a nice balance. If you dont want 6 tubes, 4 then. One 6700 K, two 14000K and one Actinic would do, but then you must not keep light loving coral too deep on the bottom.

16. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Roly - A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA! It seems that my fellow MASA members have taken QUITE NICELY care of you! Great to have you on-board, man!

Please post some pics........

17. mayet

mayet

welcome.:thumbup:

Recent Posts