My new tank project

Discussion in 'uncategorised' started by H0nda42, 24 Jun 2009.

1. H0nda42

H0nda42

Hello all, well I am finally in a position to plan a new tank and tomorrow tells whether I can build a new tank or simply upgrade to a larger unit (my current tank sprung a leak and LFS is going to swop out a new unit, of which I am trying to request they build me a tank or will see if I am forced to take a branded model in a larger size).
    I have been surfing this site for days now gathering data and info on what tanks I like and systems that look great.
    Personally I want a clean looking tank with no visible pumps or wires inside it. I want to try and run as much flow and current from return pumps.
    I want to create the system so as to initially have a skimmer in place and then build a algae scrubber as well. As time and money allows I would like to upgrade to the other components that will allow me to have a tank with plenty of brightly lit coral and softies with a few nice fish running around.
    I would like to bounce a few ideas around on a few items I have in mind for my new system to get started and then ask for some feedback.
    The collective knowledge will be able to help steer me in the right direction if I am not able to do something or possibly do it better another way.
    So I will start posting details after this post.
    Here goes.....

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. H0nda42

H0nda42 Thread Starter

The tank size I like is between 1.2 and 1.350m.If I have to stay with the brand I bought, I have the option of 121X55X41 for extra R2000 or 121X62X51 for extra R5800 or 151X62X51 for extra R7300.
    The only problem with the branded model is the inability to run a sump. I am going to try run small, taller individual sumps in each cabinet door once I have dimensions. Overflow is going to be a problem though, but I am sure drilling the glass can be done and overflow in stalled externally. Who's the best drill in Durban?

If I can get the LFS to build then I would go for 1300X600X550 with slim overflow, black silicon, euro bracing, rimless and cls. I would design a awesome stand around the metal frame and then plan the sump with necessary space to house further equipment in the future.
    Tomorrow lunch time will tell which route I get to choose.

4. H0nda42

H0nda42 Thread Starter

For lighting I am on the fence between T5 only and T5+MH.
    T5 alone are cheaper and I do not have to worry about heat, however they don't give the nice MH shimmer effect.
    My T5 choices: Real Inc 4X39w, 8X39W (my top choice), T5 HO 6X24w.
    My MH T5 combo choices: HQI 150W Light Fixture=2X150wMH+2X54wT5 (no idea on the pricing here), Real Inc 1250 with 2X150wMH+2X54wT5 (my favourite and at an excellent price from sponsors)

I am leaning towards the Real Inc unit. as I will be able to keep SPS as well. Will this be enough on a 1200mm tank? With a choice between this one and 8X39wT5's which should I go with?

5. H0nda42

H0nda42 Thread Starter

For my substrate I would like a very white effect and would like to go with Aragonite.
    My questions are:
    Dry or alive? (I like the idea of live to bring in extra occupants/life into my tank)
    Also sugar fine or granules?
    I like the CaribSea brand and want to know what is the difference between the various names (Seafloor special grade, Aragamax, Bahamas etc?)
    Any help on this would be much appreciated.

6. H0nda42

H0nda42 Thread Starter

Once I have an answer on which tank I can get I will ask further questions on the pumps, skimmers/sump/algae scrubber etc.
    Sorry for all the questions, but the planning is the best part and I want to get it right to ensure I have a good reef system in the end.
    Thanks,
    Warren

7. H0nda42

H0nda42 Thread Starter

Good news! LFS has agreed to build a tank for me and not force me to take a branded model.
    Does anyone know how many liters a 1350X65X55 will be or where I can find the volume calculator?

8. H0nda42

H0nda42 Thread Starter

I am going to try put a few ideas together and want to know if someone can direct me to a basic graphic design program as I am meeting the LFS on Sat to start planning the tank. I want to start with this size tank and then build a sump and stand that will allow me to grow as my interest and bank balance grows. To start though I think a good skimmer and scrubber will be good initially and as the tank matures, then better equip can follow.

9. FransSny

FransSny

Hi Honda

have a look at google scetchup...easy to use.

On the MASA homepage are links to calculators.

Good luck with the build

10. ben lloyd

ben lloyd

to culculate your total volume
    1350 x 650 x 550 = 482 L

11. H0nda42

H0nda42 Thread Starter

Thanks Frans - I just saw Lesley's post on the 'classiest build ever' and am starting to get crazy ideas about that look. Bad thing to see that. I will start playing around and keep the thread updated. Hopefully I will get some advice as well. Cheers

12. H0nda42

H0nda42 Thread Starter

Thanks Ben - much appreciated!

13. FransSny

FransSny

pleasure honda...i am also going to use that thread as "inspiration' for my tank upgrade

14. H0nda42

H0nda42 Thread Starter

Anybody have any suggestions on my light question? T5x8 or Real Inc 2X150wMH+2X54wT5?
    Anybody have a Real Inc unit? Also what compares in this price range?

15. H0nda42

H0nda42 Thread Starter

Another question? i saw a thread where a member had a electronic temp measurewhic was connected to his heaters and if the temp dropped to less than 25.5 the heaters would switch on and if the temp were to climb above 26.5, a set of fans would come on.
    I cannot remember where I saw this. If any members have seen this thread, please let me know. I would like to create a system like this.
    Thanks

16. FransSny

FransSny

Hi honda, there are various electronic controllers in the market ranging fro basic models ie only temp to things that can mow the lawn as well :)

speak to the sponsors they will be able to advise best on what will work for you....or are you planning DIY ?

17. H0nda42

H0nda42 Thread Starter

Thanks Frans I will do. I am going to try start simple and then leave room to build as I go along. But this is definitely something I would like to get in the future.

18. H0nda42

H0nda42 Thread Starter

Hi all, I have the go ahead and will be having a tank built by my LFS. The size is 1300lX700wX650h. They recommended I go higher on the sides (up from 600mm).
    Anyway, LFS said they will brace it so it doesn't break - can't argue with that I suppose:)
    Have requested black silicone and they will be giving me a price tomorrow. LFS said they would design a quiet overflow and will ensure the design is neat.
    I asked for the short side to be set against the wall, and then for the plumbing to be done to have return pumps providing all my flow (therefore no pumps in the tank).
    Wish me luck and I will update as I go along.

19. H0nda42

H0nda42 Thread Starter

Hello all, can anyone advise me on a skimmer for the new tank. The tank should be in the region of 550l. I was looking at a Reeftek Orca 100. I was told I can get an Reeftek Extreme skimmer for a few hundred rand more.
    What are the best skimmers in this price bracket. I understand most people have Reeftek and they seem to be good quality. I have a BH100 and it is doing well on my tank currently and am happy with it.
    Any thoughts ideas or suggestions before I order?

20. H0nda42

H0nda42 Thread Starter

For flow I am planning return pumps that have been plumbed in the sump (I don't want pumps in the DT and want to have a clean look). I was thinking of 3-4 return pumps plumbed into my display with wither T-shaped or L-shaped outlets to provide uneven flow.
    The pumps I had in mind were 3 Reeftek 5000l/hr. The LFS says this is quite strong (I originally wanted 4).
    If they are too strong I will just extent the pipe and add another head outlet.
    The Reefteks seem to be the best priced and have a good name.
    Any suggestions?

21. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hi honda - I just started using the OCTX 250 - what a bomb! When I was moving my tanks the water ended up very murky but this beast cleared my water in like hour my cup was full of muck! - I've got a TS2 as well but think it would have been much longer with that - My advise to you would be buy the best skimmer your pocket can afford - its one of the best investments you will ever make!

Recent Posts