My new tank is running

Discussion in 'Large Tanks' started by Trev, 8 Aug 2010.

1. Trev

Trev

So if you O’s rem I was planning on building a 1,1m cube tank to move all my ago triggers and other agro fish to. Unfortunately or perhaps fortunately I became a bit lazy ok actually lazier each day LOL and started scanning the market for a good second hand setup that would work and at one point I was concede ring the pro’s and con’s of no less than 4 systems the second hand market is really flooded atm. Anyways I went with a 1.5m setup that was the best choice for me as it also meant that I could shut down my 2m tank and move those fish over to the 1.5 which really is a 2 bird one stone situation for me. So last Sunday was the day to move over the tank and it started really hectic as the two reefers who were going to help me out were not there to help unfortunately one had a car accident the night before and was not in any condition to assist so I was on my lonesome with the task of shutting down the 1.5 de-rigging the tank loading in inn the van and moving it +- 3km to my house then setting it up again many would have been forgiven for backing out but ME …….never I was even more determined to get it done. Lucky I had the seller to help me shut it down and pack it up and it was actually kinda fun as all deadlines were out the window and I just wanted it done even if it took 10 hrs so we took it slow and had some fun. It took about 5 hours to shutdown, de-rig and pack the tank in the van which isn’t bad for 2 guys also some luck as my brother was working nearby and could come help off laod at my place with 2 of his workers but all they had time to do was just carry the stand then tank inside and place it then they had to go this was finished at about 6pm. So at this time I have the tank on the stand and I needed to get the sand, rock and water inn with heaters and some circulation so that the loss on bacteria and critters was minimal. But first I had to clean this beast and you will see from the pics that this tank was overrun by coralline in a huge way, also the overflow design had a very neat bottom skim action but the issue with this was that the substrate got sucked up and blocked the flow so I also needed to do a dam wall type mod the overflow to stop this solve this issue. So I did the mod then gave the silicone 2 hrs to dry before putting the substrate inn. The tank came with aragonite as substrate so I put it back but I have never liked the look of aragonite its to brown for me so once I saw it inn the tank there was no difference so I removed it. I am a big fan of the Blouberg beach sand look as it is a brilliant white so inn went some of that actually about 75 kg of it. Next was the rock work then the water, the tank ran for a day with 70% water volume in it, one pump for circulation and a 300W heater, the sump was running with a small powerhead pumping water from return back to overflow chamber and also with a 300W heater so this kept the dsb alive yes we moved the sump with the dsb still in it.

I worked till 3am that morning to get everything sorted actually I worked till 3 am or there about every evening for the whole of last week to get the tank 100% operational which it has been since Wednesday the remaining evenings where spend doing mods to the tank. There is still one mod I would like to do and that is to drill 4 more 15mm holes at the top overflow as I am not happy with the skimming at the water level height. Plus I would like to reclad the stand with a nice beech wood finish chip board

So the tank specs are: dimensions display 1500 x 600 x 650
    Sump is 1m x 500 x 400
    Lighting is two separate units each unit has 4 x 80W t5’s I am still busy playing with the blue / white ratio
    Skimmers are : reef Octopus DNW110 external skimmer and a Aqua Medic turbo floater internal sump skimmer
    Flow is: 1 x Seio M6200 on a intermittent switch and 1 x Resun 15000Ltr/hr wave blaster on a Resun controller ( I am considering adding a 5000Ltr sun sun to the flow for constant flow )
    Heaters : 2 x 300W
    I have a phos spare phos reactor that I might run but not sure yet, I will be building a ozone reactor same as I use on my 1.2 for this tank then that’s that another plane Jane system

More pics will follow

Trev

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

4. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

nice one dude, lookin good :thumbup:

5. Junz

Junz

looks good

6. wringo

wringo

;)Good work man

7. Annoying

Annoying

Lokking good man! Love the scaping.

8. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

Thanks guys I am going to take some new pics today and post them later

Trev

9. wringo

wringo

:slayer:WE waiting .........

10. Michael B

Michael B

Looking real good - love the aquascaping (look forward to seeing more)

11. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

Some more pitchas

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Recent Posts