My new predator tank!!!!!!!!!Woop Woop!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by HoboHoppy, 19 Jun 2014.

1. HoboHoppy

HoboHoppy

Hi Guys

So I have decided to start a predator tank and have purchased my tank :)

Now to get some help from all you guys here to try and make this tank awesome.

I am looking for help with my sump. I am not very happy with it being a split unit where I need to pump from one sump tank to the other but its what I got and I must work with it. I have attached images of the sump and want to know if I should modify the first big tank to maybe include a DSB? Otherwise I might just fill it with LR and pump over the the split unit and use some ceramic rings and filter cloth.

Please I could really use some help with this. Also once we have decided on a sump set up I need to start looking at what fish to put in my tanks. I been doing some reading and have some idea but I don't want to get too excited yet

Tank dimensions are 1220x450x550 I have secured a Skimmer from Rick its a Bubble Magnus skimmer rated at 600lt so a little over kill but I believe preds can be messy.

I also want to keep some LPS in the tank and maybe a tang or two for color.

Any help I can get will be greatly appreciated.

:peroni:

Pred sump 1.jpg

Pred sump 2.jpg

Pred tank.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stanley

Stanley

tagging along also starting one my old tank is my new predator tank...

4. Reefhead

Reefhead

Is the sump split or was the one used for RO water for a ATU?
    What fish do you plan on keeping?
    You can never overkill the filtration on a predator tank, they are messy creatures.
    I would not run this tank on a DSB and ceramic rings but that is IMO.

5. HoboHoppy

HoboHoppy Thread Starter

Thanks Reefhead, the sump was split when I bought it. Would you suggest I just fill the sumps with LR? Maybe I put a little UV light in between the sumps? what you think?

Last edited: 19 Jun 2014
  6. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Split sumps can lead to disaster as balancing the water flowing into the sump from the DT and then using another pump to send it to the second pump is risking flooding. What happens if your return pump or first chamber pump decides to give up the ghost. I would rather use one side as a RO chamber.

7. rickgoldwing1

rickgoldwing1

Hey bud when you come to me tomorrow I will show you my trigger tank only got a Picasso a clown and a niger trigger in at the moment also put a soap fish in and yes they can be messy eaters and you cant put a clean up crew in because they will get eaten

8. Reefhead

Reefhead

I personally don't think it is a split sump as such, I think the one was used as a sump and the other tank was used as a place to store RO water for a automatic top up.
    The filtration I would suggest is a nice big skimmer and NP Bio Pellets, however I am going to assume that you are not too familiar with the pellets (I could be wrong and mean no offence if I am) so I would suggest a big skimmer and maybe something similar to the pellets like the Orca Bio Cubes ( never used them myself but a lot of people here promote them and from what I can see they are a similar concept to the pellets)

9. Reefhead

Reefhead

Also I wouldn't bother with a UV, unless you get a massive one they are mostly a waste

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Get yourself one of the old style powerheads with the Venturi on the outlet

Then use 1 T piece, 1 elbow, 1 end cap and some short PVC 50mm pipes, build a "n".
    Standpipe insode left side, yp to the T piece. End cap on top, T-out to side short pipe through the cabinet divider. Other side another standpipe down. Cut both bottom ends at 45 degrees, so that the pipe can stand on its own end points without blocking the flow. On top of the end-cap, drill a 6mm hole. Attach a flexible airline hose to it connected to the venturi. Use that powerhead on the left side tank to prevent settlement.

How it works. On startup, the pump need to pull out all the air in the pipes. Can suck it out with your mouth, to speed things up. The pump will blow a lot of small bubbles while this is happening. Once all the air is out, switch on your return pump. The siphon will start automatically. Any air entering will be sucked out by the venturi. Just ensure the airline never gets blocked. Or algae grows inside it. Just something you need to check once a week.

11. HoboHoppy

HoboHoppy Thread Starter

You lost me at elbow :blush: but I will slowly work through it to try understand. I want to get this tank perfect.

12. HoboHoppy

HoboHoppy Thread Starter

Very good point.

13. mitchel

mitchel

To me it looks like the ro water chamber is on the left and sump on the right. I would swap them cause the over flow in your tank is on the left so putting the sump on the left, then you can plum the over flow straight into the sump. then you can have one return pump pumping back up to main tank

14. HoboHoppy

HoboHoppy Thread Starter

Iam now worried that the sump will not be big enough for a predator setup

15. HoboHoppy

HoboHoppy Thread Starter

How easy is it to drill glass. thinking of plumbing the two together through the unit. filling the first one up with LR and doing the other stuff one the right. What ever you guy say i should do.

16. Francois

Francois

What you also can do is what I did with my old 1.2m tank, is to cut a square out of the wood divider or drill a big enough whole to fit a tank connector through it. Drill both sumps with 50mm diamond cutting whole saw and connect the two sumps with a 50mm tank connector. See post 42 Francois 1.2 Meter Reef - Page 3 - Marine Aquariums South Africa

Last edited: 19 Jun 2014
  17. Zandy

Zandy

This used to be my tank. So let mr dispel any speculation. The left sump wss used as a refrugium with live rock and I had bio cubes where the overflow falls into the tank. Too small to use as dsb. Riaan knows this tank. ..I had a uv attached to the back of the tsnk. About a 1m unit..which is still for sale in the for sale section. I had a TS2 skimmer and also ran ozone.

18. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Explain why please.

19. HoboHoppy

HoboHoppy Thread Starter

@Zandy do you think drilling through the two to create an overflow into the second sump? I am just scared of trying to cut through the glass.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  20. HoboHoppy

HoboHoppy Thread Starter

@Zandy do you think drilling through the two to create an overflow into the second sump? I am just scared of trying to cut through the glass.

21. HoboHoppy

HoboHoppy Thread Starter

Recent Posts