my new nano

Johan van Aardt

I love marines [R.I.P.]
Reaction score
so i started this tank saturday now 5 days ago and this is what it looks like so far
1517496eea23c9c59.jpg

1517496eea52970b9.jpg

1517496eea6d2f6cb.jpg

1517496eeaba525f2.jpg

1517496eeb3be89c7.jpg

Looking nice there Johan, a small suggestion, move the outlets of you powerheads so they bounce of the glass at an angle. Much more dispersed and more random.

Yeah the Bio Balls shold go, I would rather look at filter wool you could replace every 2 days or so (or even wash)

Yeah the Bio Balls shold go, I would rather look at filter wool you could replace every 2 days or so (or even wash)

Sorry to hijack the thread Johan:

Kanga , are you suggesting that the filter floss can be washed and then replaced again ?
Wouldn't you get a build up of nitrates eventually ?

Sorry to hijack the thread Johan:

Kanga , are you suggesting that the filter floss can be washed and then replaced again ?
Wouldn't you get a build up of nitrates eventually ?

Personally I would replace it with new (its cheap), but if you give it a good rinse under tap water and rinse in R/O you will be fine. You are washing out/killing the nutrients and bacteria that would create the nitrates.

Obviously you couldnt use it indefinately, and its cheap enough.

Its purely a mechanical filter making life for the rest of the system so much easier.

the wire running behind is a digital thrmometer, lots of people suggest i remove those ceramic rings so what should i replace it with
1517496f0d8b38f67.jpg

1517496f0d9d8463e.jpg
1517496f0dae5fd00.jpg
1517496f0dbd95672.jpg

Johan,

Just another comment (maybe already told to you by another member) :

That sponge will give you some hassles later. Rather replace this with filter floss and renew the floss every 3 days. The mechanical filtering is also better with filter floss as it will catch smaller particles than what the sponge can.

Just a thought;)

the wire running behind is a digital thrmometer, lots of people suggest i remove those ceramic rings so what should i replace it with

As suggested, Floss, PO Remover,Carbon, some more live rock, calerpa (if it is possible to keep it out of the display.

Even nothing in the chamber will work out better for you in the long run than the rings.

Hey Johan have you thought about using some black electrical tape to hide the water line? It works well. ring must go. Other wise tank looks nice.

Sponges would normally cause problems, but that one is easily removed and as lomg as you rinse it it tap water to get rid of the gunk then soak in R/O it will be good to keep.

Very nice Johan, agree with the guys - bio-balls, ceramic rings must go. Replace with live rock rubble to give critters and pods a safe haven to breed away from predation by fishes. I'm sure you heard by now - patients is the name of the game, wait the 4-6 week cycle and test your water - if tests OK, then only add live stock slowly ;)

took out bio-balls and ceramic rings but what now? there is alot of suggestions now but what would the best be to use for filtration as well as keeping the very litle water there is in the tank at good qaulity

Hello Johan - you can choose... Either live rock rubble (small pieces of live rock) OR phosphate remover in a bag.....
At this stage, you do NOT need phosphate remover, because there is no life stock in the tank at the moment.....

So - I would suggest trying to get hold of some live rock rubble - small pieces of live rock.
Ask Sam at Sam's Aquarium - tell him Jacques from MASA said....
Otherwise.... ask the chinese guy - he is very helpful....

You can always buy one bigger piece of live rock, and break it in pieces, using a hammer (place the rock in a bag or in a rag).....

mhh true Personally I like the idea of P04 remover, but a small bag will do and then some filter floss in addition to that blue sponge, clean it out daily and you will be fine.

Live rock would concern me in terms of what you would end up trapping underneath it in the long run.
A small sock of GAC to b changed every day or 2.

Put a phosphate remover in now, it is always better to prevent, rather than cure phosphate fed problems such as hair algae.

Back
Top Bottom